PDA

View Full Version : MacPro now or wait...?

Track_40
2007-07-22, 00:16
Hey Guys,

It's not often that I buy a workstation, but when I do, I have to make it last. I just started a business about 6 months ago, and right now I do everything from Web Standards based web design/development, to graphic/print work, to photography. Hopefully, one day, money will not be an object, but for now it is.

Currently, I've got two machines. My older PC is a Dell Precision 330 -- 1.5GHz Pentium IV (first generation), w/ 1GB ram, 2 - 10K Drives, 64mb video. I bought that in Nov 1999, and through proper maintenance, still works fine (runs 24x7)... just runs a bit slower with my CS2 apps than it seemed to run when i first got it -- I think Photoshop was at version 6 back then.

My daily workhorse, is a Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB ram, wireless keyb, 128mb video, that I run a 23" ACD off of, along with an external LaCie FW800 RAID 5 array.

Everyday, I am running the following apps (usually all at once): Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, Lightroom, BBEdit, Transmit, CSS Edit, Firefox, Safari, Thunderbird, iChat, Feeder, Acrobat 8 Pro, Terminal, NewsFire, Xyle Scope, etc.

Let me start off by saying, I've made a permanent switch to Apple. The problem is, I feel like i am always waiting... and waiting... and waiting for the right time to buy Apple hardware. Last winter, everyone had a feeling that Apple was going to release an 8-core system. I really wanted a desktop at that point, but the salivating thought of an 8-core system prompted me to wait some more. Alas, come April, the 8-core arrives... time to blow a big wad, right? Maybe not. What do you mean, nothing else was upgraded on the systems? How about a faster FSB? How about a beefier video card? How about LED-based ACDs? Nada. So, maybe it wasn't the right time. Today, the question again is, is it time to bite the bullet, or in light of the gossip last week regarding Penryn, is it time to keep waiting?

Does my G4 do what I need it to do? Yes, albeit a bit slower, now with CS3 apps dragging it down. Do I absolutely need a new system RIGHT NOW in order to do business... No.

If I was going to buy a MacPro today, I'd configure it as if it had to last me at least 4 years:
: 8-Core
: 1-500GB HD
: 8-16GB Ram
: ATI 1900
: 30" ACD

Yes, I know that the 8-core is overkill for me, but once Leopard comes out, and Apple's core-swapping tech becomes more efficient, I think the 8-cores will really prove to add more value, esp in the long haul. I also figure with Leopard's arrival, and OpenGL 2.1 officially supported, perhaps we'll see some better video options.

I know the train is always moving, it's just a matter of picking a time to jump on. So, the questions are:
- Do you think Apple's got revisions to the ACD's coming down the immediate pike (ala LED Backlighting)?

- If Apple does release LED-based ACD's, do you think they will rocket right back up in price to where they were when the ACD's were released orginally, or do you think they'll be somewhat inline with today's pricing?

- Do you think the Penryn-based systems will offer any significant advantages over the current Woodcrest lineup?

- Do you think Apple will be releasing a 768mb or 1GB video adapter for the MacPro anytime soon?

Any thoughts?

Windowsrookie
2007-07-22, 00:29
Does my G4 do what I need it to do? Yes, albeit a bit slower, now with CS3 apps dragging it down. Do I absolutely need a new system RIGHT NOW in order to do business... No.

You answered your own question. ;)

dmegatool
2007-07-22, 00:29
I don't think will see LED-ACD anytime soon. I tought they didn't put LED in the 17 because it was too expensive... or not availabe. So a 30" isn't for tomorrow.

You didn't buy when they release the 8-core so I wouldn't buy now. You got like half the way to the next update ( http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro ) It's always best to buy when you need it but if you buy closer to an update, you got more for your bucks.

Track_40
2007-07-23, 15:30
Anybody have any thoughts / predictions on upcoming video adapters? Am I off, or are more current options over due?

Windowsrookie
2007-07-23, 18:45
Anybody have any thoughts / predictions on upcoming video adapters? Am I off, or are more current options over due?

yes.

PowerDrift
2007-07-23, 21:41
I have a Mac Pro, and it's AMAZING. I can tell it'll last a long time.
If you do need it (I know you said you don't need it now, but if it's convenient) you should get it. Even if the specs increase in the next months, it's amazing how fast it is.

I would suggest a refurbished 2.66 GHz Mac Pro and buy lots of extra RAM with the saved money.

Edit: nvm, I read the rest of your post :P
If you're going to buy the top of the line model, I'd say wait