PDA

View Full Version : Would this be possible to do?

Wrao
2004-11-06, 15:02
I mentioned this in my digital camera thread, but I fear it won't get any attention there, so please forgive me for making a new thread, but well, I think that if possible this would be unduly awesome.

I have my digital camera now, and with that I have a special USB cable with a device side and a computer side(small and big connectors) well, that's nice and dandy, but like, that's just another component that I need to have sitting around or else I can't get things off my camera(un(less)til I get one of those CF docks)

So, I was thinking, what about bluetooth? Why don't more cameras use bluetooth? and are there any bluetooth dongles that would work with a camera? if not, then could you in theory use an adaptor to enable you to plug a bluetooth dongle into the camera?

ultimately using an adaptor would be lame because then you might as well just use the cable, but still, it would be neat to see if this is possible.

sure the camera wouldn't understand what bluetooth is, but I was under the impression that those little bluetooth dongles converted a USB signal into a bluetooth signal, thus negating the need for the device itself to need to know what bluetooth is.

or...?

I dunno, what say you?

HOM
2004-11-06, 15:17
Bluetooth is way too slow to transfer pictures from a digital camera.

We're talking 3-15 MB depending on MP, that could take hours to upload.

Now, if FireWireless were to ever come out then we might have something.

Wrao
2004-11-06, 15:23
True, but *I'm* talking about 700k-1MB tops(3.2 MP)

AirSluf
2004-11-06, 16:19

Wrao
2004-11-06, 17:05
still though, is it possible?

SKMDC
2004-11-06, 17:07
my phone uses bluetooth to download pictures and movies and i just sent 10 55 KB photos in less than a minute. (one at a time)
the larger images from a regular would take, what? 10 times longer? it's doable, maybe not practical but i'm surprised no one has thought of it.

Brad
2004-11-06, 17:15
In the minutes, nay, hours it would take to transfer, I think you could take a moment to get off your duff, find the cable, and plug it in for a few seconds. ;) Hell, you'd have time to go to the store and buy a new cable while waiting for the transfer! :lol:

But, yes, I believe it would be possible. If you plug a Bluetooth dongle into your USB port and into your camera, I'd think your Mac would pick it up and treat it like a normal USB device. I've never used Bluetoosh, though, and could be mistaken on how it works.

SKMDC
2004-11-06, 17:17
plus all the dongles i've used are slower than built in.

Luca
2004-11-06, 17:18
The problem is that cameras use the mini USB connection. You might be able to get a converter for it to use a regular sized bluetooth dongle, but it would still lack bus power.

Wrao
2004-11-06, 17:19
I'll have to give it a try, if I can find the appropriate connectors.

Sure it'd be slower, but it'd be super neat if possible.

Apparently there is a new bluetooth spec in the works, that will be significantly faster than the current spec, not like firewire fast, but still faster(fast enough to make large photo transfer less of a big deal)

Wrao
2004-11-06, 17:20
The problem is that cameras use the mini USB connection. You might be able to get a converter for it to use a regular sized bluetooth dongle, but it would still lack bus power.

Ah, see that's the kicker there, the bus powered bit, bummer, guess it won't work.

darn, I thought it was a good idea.

Luca
2004-11-06, 17:38
BESIDES IT WOULD TAKE ELEVENTY JILLION MINUTES OMG YOU SUCK.

;)

Really. Bluetooth is just one megabit per second. USB 1 is rated for up to 12 megabits, but it can only allocate 8 megabits to any single device.

EDIT: Damn, it filters capital letters.

EDIT 2: Found a way around it ;)

LoCash
2004-11-06, 17:39
I don't think you'll see a newer BlueTooth spec looking to increase transfer speeds to the point where using it on a consumer digital camera would be acceptable to most. BlueTooth is about transferring small pieces of data, not large pieces of data. BlueTooth was designed specifically with that in mind, and it does it well. If you want to see a faster wireless technology embedded in devices, don't look to BlueTooth for it; that goes against the reasons behind BlueTooth's development.

Eugene
2004-11-06, 17:58
Canon and Nikon have 802.11g wireless adapters for their newest D-SLRs.

AirSluf
2004-11-06, 18:04

SKMDC
2004-11-06, 18:17
Canon and Nikon have 802.11g wireless adapters for their newest D-SLRs.

don't know about the canon* but the nikon dx2 is 10 grand.

*canon is 5 thousand

Akumulator
2004-11-07, 01:35
I'm sure it's possible, even though it would be slow. I'm not sure why it's not a feature considering that my old Kodak digital camera has infrared on it.. what's the transfer rate on that shit?

usurp
2004-11-07, 02:15
Wrao i replied to u in the other thread. there is a cheapo brand cam in the market that has bluetooth but the reviews said it was really shit and the bluetooth unusably slow.