PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro or iMac?

Capella
2007-07-27, 13:31
I've been wanting to upgrade to a new Intel Mac for as long as they've been out, and now that I've got my college loan finally, I can finally get one with the excess! My question now is, should I get the MBP or the iMac?

(Note: I know the iMacs will be upgraded soon. I'm talking about purchasing beginning of September.)

I already have a 12" PowerBook G4 from summer 2004, which works fine. I'm getting an Intel Mac so I can run Windows and game (as well as music stuff in Garage Band), which immediately rules out the cheapest 17" iMac- I'd clearly prefer the ATi card. I also like small screens, so it's either the higher-end 17" iMac or the 15" MacBookPro. I don't intend to completely replace my PowerBook, because minus a shortened battery life and the wi-fi spottiness (it won't hold a connection for long, for some reason; but only on certain networks, like my campus one), it's a good machine. I just don't know which machine would better supplement it.

The iMac is a perfect machine, really; it has the capabilities I need. I could use my laptop during classes to take notes and stuff, and then switch to the desktop for working in my dorm room. The main problem I'd have with it is, I'm going to college out of state. That means I couldn't bring it home for winter and spring breaks, which is when I would have the most time for gaming and music and non-work things. The MBP could come home with me and I could leave my PB with a friend in NJ. On the other hand, that would mean that during the school year, I would have 2 laptops. What would I do with two laptops? That would make it harder to use one in class and one in my room like I would if I had a laptop and a desktop. I'd feel weird leaving the MBP on my desk in my room all the time and using it as a permanently-desk-tethered machine EXCEPT for breaks; I'm worried I'd switch to using it completely and abandon my PB.

What would you guys recommend? I'd like to be able to bring my machine home for breaks, but I think having two laptops would be a lot more awkward than a laptop and a desktop, so I'm really unsure as to what I'm doing, which is why I thought I'd seek out advice.

Yontsey
2007-07-27, 13:38
Sell your 12''PB and use the money towards a 15'' MBP

evan
2007-07-27, 13:50
i concur.

Wyatt
2007-07-27, 14:24
i concur.
Me too. This is just a really complicated situation, and it will be made much easier by just having one computer. The MBP is by far your best option, and there's no compelling reason to keep the PB if you have the MBP.

psmith2.0
2007-07-27, 14:34
Without a question, get the MacBook Pro. Even sell the 12" to help pay for it, as suggested above. One powerful computer that does all the things you want it to, and you can take it with you wherever you go.

This falls squarely under the "it's a no brainer" category, it's so easy.

:)

Having two computers is a complete drag. I can barely stand the idea of having two computers, even when one's a desktop and the other a laptop. There's no way in hell I'd ever have two laptops! Talk about a logistical pain-in-the-butt (keeping them synced, updated, etc. and owning them both for no good reason...3" of screen, either way, isn't worth the hassle).

:o

Get the 15" MacBook Pro, shove it full of RAM and be happy.

Wyatt
2007-07-27, 14:42
Get the 15" MacBook Pro, shove it full of RAM and be happy.

It comes with 2GB now, Paul, how much more do you recommend? :p

psmith2.0
2007-07-27, 14:48
Oh, I forgot. Well then, it's probably ready to go, right off the shelf! Even better.

Capella
2007-07-27, 15:57
I really don't want to give up my PowerBook, though; I'm extremely sentimental and possess all but my first Macs. I really don't think I could stand to sell it.

Since everyone votes MBP, though, I may just get that, deal with 2 computers until the first break, and then leave the PowerBook at home, not at college.

psmith2.0
2007-07-27, 16:11
Don't sell it then. But it's goofy to have two laptops (go ahead, you'll see...the novelty - and the feeling that you're taking the best approach - will wear off very quickly).

;)

I totally know what you're saying about your 12" PowerBook...I feel the same way about my little tangerine iMac DV. It's in my closet and I don't really use it much anymore. But I can't bear to part with it either, for all kinds of reasons. Yet it doesn't bother me to set it aside and not use it.

I don't see the appeal of having, and using, two notebooks though. That's a little odd.

Cut those ties and retire the little one (but hang on to it for all the reasons you list).

There's "being sentimental and attached", and then there's "just making things doubly complex for yourself for no good reason".

:p

Sit down with your little 12" PowerBook in September, explain to it that you love it and it's given you three good years of service...but you need to stick it in the closet and move to something newer and faster. It'll understand. Life goes on, other computers come in and out of our lives, etc. The circle of life and all that...

;)

But if you're that stuck on your 12" PowerBook, then I need to amend my initial advice and say get the iMac. It never occurred to me you'd seriously consider maintaining two notebooks for purely sentimental, emotional reasons.

Leaving it back home for visits, or handing it down to a close friend or relative you trust and that you know will keep it, might be an acceptable alternative too?

Capella
2007-07-30, 13:48
I was considering sharing it with my roommate (my best friend), who does not have a laptop and could use it for classwork.

I'd also like to point out that I've had a desktop along with my laptop ever since I got it, so I don't think it's a "problem" to maintain two machines at once- I keep generally everything on an external drive so that I have access to it on either computer, and just copy essentials to the HD of one or the other. I remember someone above mentioned it might be difficult to keep everything synched between two machines. However, my desktop was "obtained" by an ex, so I've been running without a second computer for 4 months.

I realized something else, too, over the weekend. When I say I want to use this for gaming, I mean semi-serious gaming. I used to play Guild Wars in 4-5 hour sessions 5 days a week. How will the MacBookPro handle this? Is it going to get extremely hot? Will it be hard to game for hours using a laptop keyboard (and an external mouse, clearly)? Would a desktop be better for handling that much gaming, or can the MBP handle it without an issue?

I would be willing to leave my PB with my best friend rather then maintain 2 computers, and I like the idea of having my notes and my music and my games all on one machine, so I can take it home and keep doing what I love; on the other hand, I don't want to overheat or overstress the machine. Laptops aren't always good gaming choices.

I guess what I'm asking in the end is, is the tradeoff in gaming performance worth the superior mobility?

psmith2.0
2007-07-30, 13:50
That I'm not so sure about, not being a gamer. Apologies if I came across a bit snotty above. I certainly wasn't intending too, and re-reading my advice it comes across a bit "finger-wagging" in places.

:D

But surely someone here, who's into gaming, will come along to answer your question above. That might change everything as well, adding that aspect to it.

billysea
2007-08-08, 02:14
I am bumping this back up as I wonder what people think now that the new iMac are released.

World Leader Pretend
2007-08-08, 12:26
Yeah, this announcement pisses me off because prior to the new iMac I wanted a MacBook (Pro), but now I'm not so sure. The new iMac is too damn sexy to pass up.

Hopefully the redesign the notebooks soon.