PDA

View Full Version : MBP 15" or MBP 17" high-res?

RowdyScot
2007-07-27, 16:12
So I'm gonna grab a MacBook Pro within the week, and take full advantage of the free iPod deal running for students. A desktop was fine when I was still up at a small private school and able to run back to the dorm to work on anything, but the year back down at Bowling Green having to commute without some form of mobility almost killed me last year. Anyways, the PowerMac at home is now effectively a recording studio, and thus is perfectly fine as is, especially with my band seemingly up and running within the next couple of months.

As for school, however, I still need more than just notes, internet, and iTunes. I'm running chemistry and physics software, audio and video editing, and some programming, so the MacBook Pro is appropriate. I just can't decide whether to go with the 15", or the 17" with high-res. The price isn't that big of an issue, as this is all going through a student loan, and a few hundred doesn't make a huge difference in comparison to the thousands I'll owe for tuition loans.:grumble: Physical size isn't an issue to me either. I've used both sizes before, just not the high-res screen in the 17". I'm just wanting to weigh the benefits of real estate against the LED. I'm leaning towards the 17", but I'd like some opinions and perhaps some pics of the 15" vs. the 17" high-res. Cookies for any help in my decision :)

RowdyScot
2007-07-29, 18:46
Well, I drove up to the new Apple store in Ann Arbor (shiny!), where they happened to have a 17" with the high-res display. The decision is made and I'll be going with the 17". Being able to open multiple windows of what would be full-screen on the 15" is too happy. The LED is awesome, but it doesn't beat the real estate for me. Ordering the beast tomorrow, so this thread no longer needs to be open.

julesstoop
2007-07-29, 22:09
Congratulations!
I rather like this thread though :)