PDA

View Full Version : MBP versus Mac Pro or iMac?

faust
2007-07-30, 13:25
I have a MBP, got it when it first came out and while I love the machine I realize I rarely use it because its twice as heavy as my Sony VAIO SZ that I carry for school and work.

Right now my office is under construction but renovations should be over in 30 days or less. Now I'm thinking I should sell the MBP and get something I might use more often.
Since Apple doesn't make a thin and light notebook and this thing gets Hot Hot Hot I thought I might get more use out of a desktop unit that just sits in the office.

So any cons to getting the all in one iMac?
Any serious complaints abut the new Mac Pro tower?

I most will use the machinefor day to day stuff like web surfing, email, homework for school and then when time permits Aperture & Photoshop.

Any thoughts on best way to unload MBP and what it might be worth?

Specs
15"
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
iWork
Office Student Edit
Aperture
Has 2 years left of Apple Care Plan

Capella
2007-07-30, 13:40
Well, I'm looking for an MBP, so give it to me ;) (just teasing)

It's an older model with a slightly smaller HD and slightly slightly lower processor. MacMall is selling the old 15" backstock models (the 2.16 ghz) for $1600. On the other hand, there extra RAM and iWork and Office, which should add at least $100, and there's Aperture, AND there's AppleCare, which people love. So I'd say... $1800, for that specs and with those additional software options. Maybe $1900? I'm not too sure, I'm not great with pricing.

From what you've described, I think that the iMac should be fine. After all, the power of a Mac Pro isn't really needed for basic office tasks, and while it would definitely help with Aperture and Photoshop, if you're not using them daily, I don't think it's needed. Extra RAM in the 20" or 24" iMac should work.

faust
2007-07-30, 16:21
Well, I'm looking for an MBP, so give it to me ;) (just teasing)

It's an older model with a slightly smaller HD and slightly slightly lower processor. MacMall is selling the old 15" backstock models (the 2.16 ghz) for $1600. On the other hand, there extra RAM and iWork and Office, which should add at least $100, and there's Aperture, AND there's AppleCare, which people love. So I'd say... $1800, for that specs and with those additional software options. Maybe $1900? I'm not too sure, I'm not great with pricing.

From what you've described, I think that the iMac should be fine. After all, the power of a Mac Pro isn't really needed for basic office tasks, and while it would definitely help with Aperture and Photoshop, if you're not using them daily, I don't think it's needed. Extra RAM in the 20" or 24" iMac should work.

Great, thanks for the advice.

Now I guess I just need to figure out how long to wait to see if if new iMac's get released.

Dumb question, but can I use iMac monitor with another computer if I aslo wanted to have my old dell under my desk?

torifile
2007-07-30, 18:27
I can't think of a way to use an iMac monitor directly with your PC, but you can install something like Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) on your iMac and run terminal services on the Dell and control it that way.

I've gone through several revisions of MacBook/Pros in the past year and a half and I still have my old trusty iMac 2.0 ghz CD from Feb. of 2006. That's a very long time for me. And I'm *very* happy with the iMac. It's probably the longest I've ever kept a computer. It's a great machine. I'd wait for an update and then jump on it without looking back. To use Roboman's favorite expression: I <3 my iMac. :D

-t

ps - I think we need an smilie that takes <3 and changes it to "Roboman" because he makes it cool. :lol:

Robo
2007-07-30, 18:55
I can't think of a way to use an iMac monitor directly with your PC, but you can install something like Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) on your iMac and run terminal services on the Dell and control it that way.

I've gone through several revisions of MacBook/Pros in the past year and a half and I still have my old trusty iMac 2.0 ghz CD from Feb. of 2006. That's a very long time for me. And I'm *very* happy with the iMac. It's probably the longest I've ever kept a computer. It's a great machine. I'd wait for an update and then jump on it without looking back. To use Roboman's favorite expression: I <3 my iMac. :D

-t

ps - I think we need an smilie that takes <3 and changes it to "Roboman" because he makes it cool. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

"You must spread some reputation around, yada yada."

Aww. <3 <3 :D