PDA

View Full Version : Wanting people's opinions about subnotebook!!

jjahshik32
2007-07-31, 01:15
Hey guys I wanted everyones opinion on what to do. Currently I've been drooling over the Sony Vaio TZ/90, which I can order from pricejapan for $2199. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hands-on/groping-sonys-vaio-tz-wonder+notebook-279555.php.

Ok my question is, I know apple's been majorly over due by now for a subnotebook and there have been many many questions on this on every single laptop forums that I could find. But should I wait maybe apple will release one on the day of leopards release or maybe sometime next year? Also does anyone here own the sony vaio tz? If so how do you like it? And can you install hackintosh on one? My cousin said that you can install hackintosh but the driver for the gma 950 doesnt work because its different from the macbooks driver and it'll run in software mode only. My cousin also told me that the tz's carbon fibers can shatter when it gets too hot and I'm here in the state of texas where its 90+ degrees easily all the time.

I dont know what to do!! I have a decision to purchase the vaio tz on august 2nd-3rd because I'm getting some funds to do so. Also if its not a wise decision for the vaio tz, maybe a cheaper tx that are going around on ebay? Are they pretty much the same as the new tz? Man does that tz look slick though.. I even wouldnt mind just running vista on it.. maybe linux~

chucker
2007-07-31, 03:45
Ok my question is, I know apple's been majorly over due by now for a subnotebook

There is no evidence that they're working on one at all. There has been massive speculation for years, but that's about it.

But should I wait maybe apple will release one on the day of leopards release or maybe sometime next year?

No, you certainly should not wait for a product whose release date hasn't been announced and whose existence is unknown.

And can you install hackintosh on one?

*ahem* I really don't think you want to discuss that on here. :)

Robo
2007-07-31, 04:01
iMac + Eee = FTW.

turbulentfurball
2007-07-31, 04:12
iMac + Eee = FTW.

EEE? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethoxyamphetamine)

Or this? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_equine_encephalitis_virus)

I have no idea what you're referring to. ;)

edit: Ohh, you mean this (http://event.asus.com/eeepc/). OMG if that came out here for the equivalent of 199 of your US Dollars I'd be all over it like murbot all over 2 balls of pizza dough. Want!

edit 2: Also, that site takes forever to load :\

edit 3: the flash demo appears too show the OS X version of firefox, and Live Messenger for Windows. heh.

PowerDrift
2007-07-31, 04:36
Not to mention it's useless

turbulentfurball
2007-07-31, 04:47
Why do you say that?

PowerDrift
2007-07-31, 04:59
(I was talking about the website, btw)

It doesn't really give any information about the product. It's just photos with the same 5 second sound looping, over and over again :/

Robo
2007-07-31, 06:10
(I was talking about the website, btw)

It doesn't really give any information about the product. It's just photos with the same 5 second sound looping, over and over again :/

One of many actual articles about the thing. (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=140708)

Not bad for the price of an iPod nano.

joveblue
2007-07-31, 06:52
:eek: $250 :eek:

*still waiting for this Asus page to load* :err: Bad Web Design 101 anyone?

Anyway I have a strong hunch that Apple will be coming out with a OMGWTFBBQ subnotebook very soon... before the end of the year... so if you like relying on other people's hunches :lol: :D

Brad
2007-07-31, 07:41
Moving to Purchasing Advice...

chris e boy
2007-07-31, 09:32
im waiting for the Apple one (if it even exists). When that comes out I will buy it immediately. My Powerbook will tide me over 'til then.

jjahshik32
2007-07-31, 15:22
that is a nice ultra small laptop, what are the specs? It kind of reminds me of the kohjinsya but that looks like a bigger nintendo ds.

chucker
2007-07-31, 15:25
that is a nice ultra small laptop, what are the specs?

From the article Roboman linked:
Display: 7"
Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)
Memory: 512MB RAM
Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
Battery life: 3 hours using 4-cell battery
Weight: 2lbs
Dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in (width x depth x thickness)
Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet, headphone out, microphone in

jjahshik32
2007-07-31, 15:27
that's a nice spec for 250! but man does that sony vaio tz look so sexy for 2.7lbs..... with led backlit and core 2 duo and carbon fiber...

PowerDrift
2007-07-31, 15:39
One of many actual articles about the thing. (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=140708)

Not bad for the price of an iPod nano.

Oh yeah, I've read all about it. Just saying the website sucks :P

I'm seriously thinking of getting one (if I can).

zippy
2007-07-31, 15:45
Our office has a couple of the VAIO TX-VGN series laptops and they are pretty slick. We have a few more on order. They are a nice, complete little unit - including DVD RW for 2.8 lbs!! The screen is awesome, and the keyboard is nice too. I don't have any experience with the Powerbook/MacBook Pro keyboards that everyone loves, but I imagine these are similar in feel - but that's just a hunch.

I was concerned that they would be a bit slow, but for standard office use, they really aren't - ours did come with 2 GB RAM which surely helps though.

They would also be just fine at the average home task, though I'm not sure how they would do for any heavy lifting - i.e. heavy duty graphics/video. But then, that's really not they're intended function.

I dearly hope that Apple releases a pro-level sub-notebook, but dreamy speculation is all that we have at the moment.

rasmits
2007-07-31, 16:25
If I got a subnotebook, I would definitely get the Vaio TX. I've been eyeing one for a long time and they're freaking sexy.

Come onnnnn Apple...

Windswept
2007-07-31, 18:08
...but man does that sony vaio tz look so sexy for 2.7lbs.....

Our office has a couple of the VAIO TX-VGN series laptops and they are pretty slick. We have a few more on order. They are a nice, complete little unit - including DVD RW for 2.8 lbs!!
Whoa! :eek:

PB PM
2007-07-31, 18:26
Interesting, has Macbook style keyboard (in terms of the keys themselves).

jjahshik32
2007-07-31, 19:05
yea it has the same style, I've actually heard that apple seeked out sony engineers for the build of the keyboard style on the macbooks. The first was on the sony vaio x505 series.

jjahshik32
2007-08-02, 20:20
despite that there might be a very very tiny chance of apple releasing a subnotebook coming this tuesday, I ordered the sony vaio tz. Just couldnt resist of its smallness and beauty.. even though using vista on it~ I guess wont be that bad.. =)

torifile
2007-08-03, 11:33
You've got a diagnosable problem. :err:

psmith2.0
2007-08-03, 11:37
Yeah, that's a bit goofy and rash. You couldn't wait a few more days, just to know for sure? What are you doing this weekend that required a subnotebook (wait, don't answer that...I don't really give a rip, it'll just make me mad). :lol:

Robo
2007-08-03, 16:09
Yeah, that's a bit goofy and rash. You couldn't wait a few more days, just to know for sure? What are you doing this weekend that required a subnotebook (wait, don't answer that...I don't really give a rip, it'll just make me mad). :lol:

I don't think we'll see a smaller Apple notebook, next week, personally - but I would still wait, just to be sure.

torifile
2007-08-03, 16:20
I don't think we'll see a smaller Apple notebook, next week, personally - but I would still wait, just to be sure.
It's not that he bought a subnote, it's that this is the guy who's been through no fewer than 7 Mac laptops in the past year - including several 17" models. :no:

Robo
2007-08-03, 16:26
It's not that he bought a subnote, it's that this is the guy who's been through no fewer than 7 Mac laptops in the past year - including several 17" models. :no:

Wow. Switching computers that often would just get...annoying.

torifile
2007-08-03, 17:08
Wow. Switching computers that often would just get...annoying.
And these 7 are just the ones we know about (http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=471274&postcount=26). Craziness. But I can't begrudge him getting newer models of similar machines, but to go from 2 or more 17" laptops to a subnote.... Nuts.

jjahshik32
2007-08-04, 00:22
7 17"?? what is this talk about 7? I just own a mac pro with a 23" acd, a 15" sr led 2.4ghz laptop and now waiting for the sony vaio tz, total of 3.. well if you count the mac pro as 1.

Ryan
2007-08-04, 00:30
7 17"?? what is this talk about 7? I just own a mac pro with a 23" acd, a 15" sr led 2.4ghz laptop and now waiting for the sony vaio tz, total of 3.. well if you count the mac pro as 1.You posted it...

torifile
2007-08-04, 09:04
7 17"?? what is this talk about 7? I just own a mac pro with a 23" acd, a 15" sr led 2.4ghz laptop and now waiting for the sony vaio tz, total of 3.. well if you count the mac pro as 1.
I said you've owned at least 7 in the past year not that you currently own 7.