PDA

View Full Version : Student Discount?

gunadz
2007-08-08, 16:33
Hey everybody,

I'm considering picking up a BlackBook for College. I'm just wondering, is the student discount available at the retail stores? Or is it an online only sort of thing?

Also, do you think I should hold off for a refresh or is now the time to strike?

Thanks alot

RowdyScot
2007-08-08, 16:34
It's available at the retail stores, but you may be asked for your student ID. You may be waiting for awhile, and you might not. If you don't need it immediately, you should probably hold out for Leopard in October. If you need it now, go for it.

turbulentfurball
2007-08-08, 16:36
you may be asked for your student ID.

I'd certainly hope so! :eek:

psmith2.0
2007-08-08, 16:43
Yeah, they do this at the stores for hardware. You'll have to show your ID. They check it somehow because my friend bought her iBook this way nearly four years ago...they took her ID and disappeared into a back room for a few moments.

:confused:

Maybe they've got some huge "every college student registered" database they can tap into?

Anyway, as for your second part of your question, MacBooks appear to be in mid-cycle, having just been updated 85 days ago (and seeing an average revision of every 200 days or so) (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook).

I guess you'd be okay to buy one now if you needed. They may come out with one this fall, prior to the holiday shopping season though (Santa Rosa, LED display, etc.)? Not only that, but after yesterday's iMac unveiling, I'm beginning to think the white plastic look might be taking a hike as well.

Makes complete sense to me that a new MacBook - with Santa Rosa, and LED display and in a nice aluminum body - could be looming on the horizon. Steve kept playing up the "aluminum and glass" thing yesterday, the recycling angle and all. I could see them wanting to move everything to it, including the MacBook.

Why not? It would suddenly, like the new iMac, take on a very polished, higher-end look that would appeal to all types.

RowdyScot
2007-08-08, 16:47
I'd certainly hope so! :eek:

Yeah, they do this at the stores for hardware. You'll have to show your ID. They check it somehow because my friend bought her iBook this way nearly four years ago...they took her ID and disappeared into a back room for a few moments.

:confused:

Maybe they've got some huge "every college student registered" database they can tap into?

For the longest time I wasn't asked, but the last couple times I have been. That's why I say may and not will. :)

gunadz
2007-08-08, 16:49
Oh, I didn't know about Leopard! This is going to be my first mac after all...

But an LED screen... Somehow I see Apple just keeping that on the Pros for a little bit....

lowcountry
2007-08-10, 07:43
Welcome to the Mac!

Yes, you should expect to receive the student discount online and in the store.

Leopard is supposed to arrive in October, and if you can wait, I would at this point; it's not that far off (though, knowing Apple, it will be released on Halloween!).

World Leader Pretend
2007-08-10, 11:13
From what I have experienced at my authorized Apple retailer, basically anybody with an education background is eligible. Teachers, Professors, Middle schoolers, and obviously high school and college kids. As long as you can be identified as a student of faculty you should be fine.

I'm guessing that there is no database, but they do make a copy of your ID card and save it in their records, so if the issue ever arises they can check further into it.

screensaver400
2007-08-10, 17:46
From what I have experienced at my authorized Apple retailer, basically anybody with an education background is eligible. Teachers, Professors, Middle schoolers, and obviously high school and college kids. As long as you can be identified as a student of faculty you should be fine.

In my experience, it applies to staff of K-12 and College, and college students only. Not middle or high school students.

Oh, and the software discount is online only. I have no idea why, but it is.

shalimar
2007-08-11, 01:55
Forget about leopard and buy the macbook now. The ipod rebate is still occuring until Sept. 17th and that is a 200 saving. You can get leopard later for 50-60 bucks with the student discount.

Considering that other people have predicted late month release of leopard in Oct. there is no point in OS rebate even if you buy on Sept 17.

Best of luck -Shalimar

Robo
2007-08-11, 02:00
You can get leopard later for 50-60 bucks with the student discount.

Hopefully. (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=25231)