PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Surround Sound on iMac

KDubbs82
2007-08-09, 13:37
I have heard that Mac's do not come out the box ready for 5.1. However, is there a setup that works with the iMac to get 5.1? Even if I have to buy third party items? Or would I have to get the Mac Pro and upgrade the audio hardware?

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 13:42
No, you just need to buy a mini-toslink cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123063&Tpk=belkin%2bmini-toslink

KDubbs82
2007-08-09, 14:10
What type of speakers would you recommend?? Within the $300-500 price range?

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 14:12
Well, you'll either need computer speakers that support Toslink connections, or you'll have to buy a receiver.

KDubbs82
2007-08-09, 14:26
Could you give me some examples of Toslink supported 5.1 computer speakers? I have been searching and haven't found any that specify this compatibility in their specifications.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 14:30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

torifile
2007-08-09, 15:00
If you're willing to spend that kind of cash, get a real receiver and speakers. My Denon receiver does optical audio and I've got it hooked to a Mac mini.

curiousuburb
2007-08-09, 16:19
IIRC there are some nice 5.1 systems linked on Apple Store Audio & Speakers accessories pages.

Depends what your needs are.

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX Speaker System

For extreme-performance, high-fidelity digital surround sound, choose the Logitech Z-5500 Digital speaker system.

Price: $349.95
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

The Logitech Z-5500 Digital, a THX-certified, 500-watt 5.1 surround sound speaker system, offers everything you could possibly want--and some things you didn't even know you needed. And once you plug in your Computer, DVD or music player, or video game console, you'll never want to listen to anything else.

Or just read the review on the Intertubes for something with TOSlink support.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 16:47
IIRC there are some nice 5.1 systems linked on Apple Store Audio & Speakers accessories pages.

Depends what your needs are.

Or just read the review on the Intertubes for something with TOSlink support.

My link above was that exact same setup. And cheaper. :p

World Leader Pretend
2007-08-09, 17:42
If you're willing to spend that kind of cash, get a real receiver and speakers. My Denon receiver does optical audio and I've got it hooked to a Mac mini.

Seconded. I had the Logitech system linked above (sold it to a friend), and it sounds good, but if you ever have problems with it you are out of luck. My friend was telling me that the center channel amp died on him, which doesn't bode well since it is all integrated into the same plate-amp. Upgrading is tough.

I would pick up a good, solid AV receiver, like a refurbed Harman Kardon from eBay, and buy a pair of decent bookshelves. Later when you have a bit more cash you can get some nicer speakers and move the existing ones to surround duty. Plus, receivers are way nicer to work with than all-in-ones. A subwoofer is also easy to add.

Not to mention it will all sound better.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 17:47
I would pick up a good, solid AV receiver, like a refurbed Harman Kardon from eBay, .

I would buy a good receiver like a Yamaha, or Denon. :p

Fahrenheit
2007-08-09, 17:49
You mean you haven't already?

chucker
2007-08-09, 17:52
You mean you haven't already?

He ran out of rooms to fill with sound.

Ryan
2007-08-09, 18:52
I would buy a good receiver like a Yamaha, or Denon. :pHarmon/Kardon makes fine equipment, on par with or better than Denon in my opinion. My pick is Yamaha though. But, HK stuff is probably easier to find on eBay.

tomoe
2007-08-09, 20:02
I don't know if Klipsch makes a 5.1 system compatible with the iMac, but if they did I would conjecture it's awesome. I have their ProMedia 2.1 system, and it makes listening to anything audio a treat. Here's (http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx) a link to their 5.1 system, though it's not THX certified (however for all I know about audio equipment, said certification could just be a placebo consumer placating tag). But, yes, the speakers I have are great.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 20:03
I don't know if Klipsch makes a 5.1 system compatible with the iMac, but if they did I would conjecture it's awesome. I have their ProMedia 2.1 system, and it makes listening to anything audio a treat. Here's (http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx) a link to their 5.1 system, though it's not THX certified (however for all I know about audio equipment, said certification could just be a placebo consumer placating tag). But, yes, the speakers I have are great.

That won't work. It doesn't have Optical inputs.

World Leader Pretend
2007-08-09, 21:01
I would buy a good receiver like a Yamaha, or Denon. :p
Actual product experience > internet reviews and opinions
Harmon/Kardon makes fine equipment, on par with or better than Denon in my opinion. My pick is Yamaha though. But, HK stuff is probably easier to find on eBay.

Harman Kardon's previous gen products are pretty solid, but since then they moved all their line to HDMI. HK is nothing too special, they look nice, but my suggestion is based more off of eBay availability. I wouldn't recommend HK if you are buying new, but they have some really good deals on the factory refurbished eBay store.

I like my AVR 235 though, it does the trick and hasn't given me problems. :) Not bad at all for $180.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 21:06
Actual product experience > internet reviews and opinions

I own a Yamaha receiver. ;)

World Leader Pretend
2007-08-09, 21:18
I own a Yamaha receiver. ;)

Well, there you go. I own a Denon, a HK and a Yammy :D

Windowsrookie
2007-08-09, 21:27
Whatever, as long as it's not a Sony receiver it'll sound great! :)