PDA

View Full Version : Need personal experience reviews of laptop stands

Sargasm
2007-08-12, 21:21
I have a G4 Powerbook, and I really like typing on my white Apple Keyboard. Plus when this thing gets hotter and vents through the keyboard, typing becomes a bit of an ordeal.

I'm looking at several options:

The mStand (http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand_ergonomics.html) looks pretty good, but you can't open it when on the stand because the lip blocks off access to the latch. Also Amazon reviews say that you can't open the lid as far back as one would want.

There's also the Griffin elevator (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator/), but again, Amazon reviews say that eventually, slippage will occur. I really don't want this PowerBook (I hold it very dear to my heart) to fall off the stand in the middle of the night.

Anyone have any hands on experience (or own) either of these stands or better ones? Having an open area under it would be ideal, as I'd be able to stow away the external keyboard if I needed some space on my desk to write or draw.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-12, 21:29
I have the older model elevator and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you keep the rubber grips clean.

Sargasm
2007-08-12, 21:30
How long have you had it for?

Ryan
2007-08-12, 21:58
I have the old iCurve, the predecessor to the Elevator, and I've never had problems with my PowerBook slipping off. It's about three years old.

Sargasm
2007-08-12, 22:01
Awesome. Now to watch ebay like a hawk...

Windowsrookie
2007-08-12, 22:03
How long have you had it for?

Probably 2 years.

turtle
2007-08-12, 22:03
I have an elevator and it's been fine. It's been about 6 months or so I guess, I really don't recall. The problem people have had with the Elevator and iCurve is they don't know how to clean. Dust builds up and the rubber grips loose traction. Clean it every now and then and all will be fine.

Sargasm
2007-08-12, 23:02
Should I just a damp cloth? I have alcohol wipes, but I don't want them to mess with the rubber or anything.

Windowsrookie
2007-08-12, 23:05
damp cloth is fine. all youre removing is dust.

turtle
2007-08-13, 07:22
What he said. ^^^

kretara
2007-08-13, 08:33
I have an iCurve and think it is great.
I used it with numerous PowerBook's and Thinkpad's and it worked fine.
I did have a problem with a 17" MBP sliding off (yes, the rubber pads were clean) the iCurve fairly easily.
Mine might be a isolated case.
I have moved my iCurve to work now where it has a work issued HP nc6400 (biggest piece of crap laptop I have ever had the misfortune of using) sitting on it and it puts the laptop at just the perfect height for me to use as my desktop.

Bryson
2007-08-13, 09:01
I've never had any trouble with either my 17" Powerbook or my 17" MBP coming off my iCurve. None at all.

rampancy
2007-08-13, 14:50
I use a RoadTools Podium CoolPad (http://www.roadtools.com/) and I think it's perfect for what it's supposed to do. The height is adjustable, it swivels, and as a bonus, you can even configure it to put your laptop on a negative angle, which is great when you're somewhere where the surface on which you rest your laptop is generally lower than the position you would normally take (the coffee-table like tables and leather couches at my old university's library lounge comes to mind).

My only problem is that it's not as commonly available as other stands like the Elevator.