PDA

View Full Version : One of my Macs is losing time

kretara
2004-05-24, 09:53
I have a DP 500 that is randomly resetting its time and date. The battery is new and has been tested in another computer.
One of the strange things about this is that the time/date will reset itself overnight when the computer is on (well, sleeping).
It does not seem to reset itself every night, but its hard to tell since this is a computer that I am supporting from a remote office and getting daily, accurate information is not easy.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this problem?

alcimedes
2004-05-24, 10:26
is it possible for the network time app. to be setting it to the wrong timezone?

as in, if it were set to the wrong time zone, then upon wake from sleep it will try to set itself against the time server, thus messing up the time.

that's the only thing i could think of off hand if the battery is testing out. you could also try resetting the PRAM, but i don't think it would fix this.

when you say the proplem is random, is it a once a day at odd times type thing, once a week, month etc?

FFL
2004-05-24, 10:33
It might help to know WHAT the date and time are resetting to, which might rule in or out the timezone theory.

I'd reset PRAM as well as NVRAM. You may want to reset your PMU as well (it's most likely a reset button on your main logic board. When doing this, press the button for no more than 1-2 seconds, and press it only ONCE, then start up the computer after a 10 second pause or so.

Wickers
2004-05-24, 10:39
I would replace the PRAM battery...

thegelding
2004-05-24, 11:29
i second the battery replacement...

g

spotcatbug
2004-05-24, 13:46
The battery is new and has been tested in another computer.Here is some text.

kretara
2004-05-24, 14:35
Upon "waking up" the computer seems to reset itself to 12:00

The user of this computer (who is ~ 100 miles away from me) tells me that this happens about 75-85% of the time, he might not be paying attention the rest of the time, I don't know.

I'm going to look into the network time thing when I drive over to his office next week.

curiousuburb
2004-05-24, 15:31
Upon "waking up" the computer seems to reset itself to 12:00

Does the 12:00 keep blinking? ;)

Does your computer have a suspicious looking "rewind", "defrost", or "snooze" button?
:D

InactionMan
2004-05-25, 00:01
When I was still using my old LC 630, the date kept resetting to some time in 1958. Than one day is stopped doing that and went back to normal.

This post was in no way helpful. :D