PDA

View Full Version : dilemma!

evan
2007-08-25, 16:08
OK so I just got to school and our bookstore as 1 unopened 12" G4 Powerbook (I think like 1.5GHz, 756mb ram, 80gig hard drive) for $900. Should I sell my 1st gen macbook to get it?

ghoti
2007-08-25, 16:14
Are you kidding? Why?

tomoe
2007-08-25, 16:25
OK so I just got to school and our bookstore as 1 unopened 12" G4 Powerbook (I think like 1.5GHz, 756mb ram, 80gig hard drive) for $900. Should I sell my 1st gen macbook to get it?
no.

Anthem
2007-08-25, 16:51
Yes. It's a good idea. I'd be happy to buy your MacBook off of you for $600. That puts you two thirds of the way to where you need to be. :D

Seriously, though, absolutely not. Don't even think about it.

Luca
2007-08-25, 18:10
I have the same 12" PowerBook, purchased over a year ago (before the MacBooks came out) for $1000 (open box). I'm guessing it's depreciated by much more than 10% since then. In fact, I'd gladly exchange my PowerBook for a first-gen MacBook.

Actually...

What do you say? Want to? You'd be getting a slower computer but hey, if that's what you want...

torifile
2007-08-25, 18:24
The 12" powerbook's *form factor* is unmatched and highly sought after, but it's specs leave a lot to be desired at this point in time. If you needed a computer just for writing on and it were a few hundred $$ cheaper, I'd say yes. But for that price, the trade off just isn't worth it if you're going to be doing much of anything else.

Ryan
2007-08-25, 18:32
The 12" powerbook's *form factor* is unmatched and highly sought after, but it's specs leave a lot to be desired at this point in time. If you needed a computer just for writing on and it were a few hundred $$ cheaper, I'd say yes. But for that price, the trade off just isn't worth it if you're going to be doing much of anything else.Agreed. I have the original 867Mhz 12" PowerBook, and anything beyond iTunes and web browsing is pretty sluggish.

evan
2007-08-25, 18:53
The 12" powerbook's *form factor* is unmatched and highly sought after, but it's specs leave a lot to be desired at this point in time. If you needed a computer just for writing on and it were a few hundred $$ cheaper, I'd say yes. But for that price, the trade off just isn't worth it if you're going to be doing much of anything else.

thanks for the input. The only reason I was thinking about it is because I LOVE the 12" powerbook more than any other computer but I passed on it for the graphics in the 15" a few years ago (and regretted it ever since). I guess I needed somebody to talk some sense into me. thanks again, case closed.

ghoti
2007-08-25, 19:29
I have a 12" PB too, but I think the form factor on the MacBook is much better. The wide screen is so much better than the 4:3, and the MB is just about the perfect size, IMHO. I loved my PB, but I've moved on to new things ;)

chipz
2007-08-27, 12:41
I have the same Powerbook as you considered. I've had it since it was released (about 2 years ago) and I love it. At times, it may seem sluggish, but I'm willing to endure it because I juat love the 12" form factor.