PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft - November 23, 2004

Blueflame
2004-11-12, 11:43
Anyone else here playing World of Warcraft when it comes out? I'm currently goofing around in the open beta. I have the feeling I'll be playing this game for many, many months, if not years.

What do you guys think of the price? $14.99 for month to month play, less if you buy more months at a time (something like $12.99 per month if you buy 6 months). Also, you get 1 free month when you purchase the game.

There goes all my free time.

Blueflame

Xaqtly
2004-11-12, 15:13
It needs to be more like $10/mo rather than $15, but I'm gonna be playing it too, yeah. I've been in it for a few months, starting in the closed beta, and I'm pretty addicted now. It's great fun.

Xidius
2004-11-20, 11:00
Let's not forget that you have to buy the box to play it, even if you were in the beta. And how much did they say it would cost? $50-60?

I've been playing it in closed beta for nearly 7 months now. Suffice it to say, even though I am broke I will still find a way to pay for this game. =|

- Xidius

Xaqtly
2004-11-22, 00:38
It'll be $50, and $15/month. After having played it for months in beta, I will bite the bullet and get the game and smile when I pay $15/month for the privilege. Yeah, I like it that much. :)

alcimedes
2004-11-22, 00:49
yeah, i played the beta for a few weeks, and like it enough i'll be buying it Tues.

not sure it's a smart way to spend my time/money, but it was a lot of fun. think i'll have to restrict myself to playing after 10pm or so when i can't really do work on the house or cars anyway. if i have a choice between playing WoW or watching TV/wasting time on the 'net, i know which one i'll choose.

plus they bothered with a multi platform client, so i figure if i'm going to support any company, it would be Blizzard.

alcimedes
2004-11-23, 11:33
picked up my copy this morning. if we have a number of AN folks, would be fun to play on occasion.

look for me. same name there as here.

alcimedes
2004-11-23, 15:05
Oh yeah, if you want to play with other AN folks, create your character on the Mal'Ganis server if possible.

Eugene
2004-11-23, 19:03
The Dogcow guild is playing as Alliance on Whisperwind (Central), and that's where my level 12 human palading is currently...

Blueflame
2004-11-24, 13:01
The Dogcow guild is playing as Alliance on Whisperwind (Central), and that's where my level 12 human palading is currently...

Palading dong!

Sorry, couldn't help myself

;)

Blueflame

Wrao
2004-11-24, 13:12
...must...not.... succumb ... ...

I'm going to be a gnome warrior if I do get the game, but I don't know if I should, might be bad for my health.

Xaqtly
2004-11-24, 15:05
I got it yesterday and started up a Night Elf Warrior and a Troll Mage. Definitely not good in terms of sleep deprivation.

Zodiac
2004-11-24, 21:22
It's too expensive! That's about 20 a month CDN here! Oh well, I probably won't buy it anyways.

(hope it doesn't take over entire lives like everquest)

LoCash
2004-11-28, 04:04
Since Mal'Ganis went down, I started a Night Elf Druid on the Shadow Moon. I know Alcimedes is on a central time zone server... so like, if you guys want to chill with us, keep that in mind ;)

alcimedes
2004-11-28, 04:08
yeah, i ended up moving to Darkspear in the Mountain time zone. Not too crowded, so easy to get what you need.

thegelding
2004-12-01, 11:58
a gamin' noob here

is this only online play or can it be played off line?

is it fun only online??

not that i plan to become a gamer at this late stage of life
but i might check one out someday

g

Wrao
2004-12-01, 12:01
g, it's online only, you play with thousands of people simultaneously.

in theory it's really fun, and from all the reports I've heard it's really fun, but I haven't played it yet(except for the first beta) so I dunno :p

if you're not really a gamer, you probably wouldn't mesh too well with such a game, it's basically like virtual fantasy life.

Maciej
2004-12-01, 13:24
I'm really contemplating getting it, but I've only got a 1.25 Ghz PB, 64MB of VRAM, how will it run? I'm still trying to work out the kink with my 1 gig stick of ram.

Or should I just buy a dual 30" G5 with 8 gigs of ram? :lol:

LoCash
2004-12-01, 13:32
I run the game just fine on both my 15" PB and my dual 450 G4. Granted, both of those systems have a current 128MB graphics card, but the game runs just fine. I wouldn't think you'd have too much of a problem running it with only 64MB of VRAM.

Wrao
2004-12-01, 13:34
I'm really contemplating getting it, but I've only got a 1.25 Ghz PB, 64MB of VRAM, how will it run? I'm still trying to work out the kink with my 1 gig stick of ram.

Well, the stress test beta I played on my Powerbook(same as yours), it ran OKAY, it lagged and chugged a bit, which was partly due to the fact that it was a stress test I'm sure. Eitherway, that was an early beta, and there were many notices in the readme docs about how the beta wasn't anywhere near fully optimized, and that the final game would run better.

For instance, I barely met the system requirements for the beta, but the system requirements for the final version are much lower. But I haven't played it yet. So ultimately, I don't know, except, in theory it should run fine.

Xaqtly
2004-12-01, 13:37
Best thing you can do for your framerate in WoW is turn down the draw distance. That will make a huge difference, and it's still perfectly playable.

Maciej
2004-12-01, 15:09
With games like WoW, Half-Life 2, CS, a PC based gaming rig is looking better and better... :\

Blueflame
2004-12-01, 16:19

I play WoW on a Gigabit Ethernet Power Mac G4 (upgraded to 1.4 GHz) with a Radeon 9000 64 MB video card. It runs perfectly with all the visual effects all the way up EXCEPT the farclip (the visual distance, which is all the way down). The game runs very smoothly, and will probably run far better on your machine, as I'm limited by a myriad of factors.

Maciej
2004-12-01, 18:49
I'll have to try it I think. I'm weary as well because I've tried playing MMORPGs before, but never gotten into them really. Hopefully this will be much different. Hopefully I'll work something out.

alcimedes
2004-12-01, 19:06
i'm playing on a PB, and it's fine. just need to make sure you aren't the type that's easily addicted to things, or this might be a problem.

Maciej
2004-12-01, 19:19
I don't think I have the money to afford a monthly subscription right now. I hate how with MMORPGs you have to first buy the game then a subscription, they could at least offer some sort of price reduction on the game, like 30$ instead of 50. *sigh* Is it just me, or have games gotten much much more expensive in the last 5 years?

Eugene
2004-12-03, 14:11
Level 30 (http://thottbot.com/?profile=Tobin.Whisperwind) in ten days. How's everyone else coming along. :D

Blueflame
2004-12-03, 14:51
Level 22 since November 24. I fish a lot.

Furden on Silver Hand