PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networks... War Driving...

Paul
2004-05-24, 13:39
Does anyone know where I can find the default L/P for linksys or other routers?

I have a protected wireless network near my grandfather's house that is named "Home Network". Does anyone know if it is a default name for a netgear router or some other manufacture?

Ebby
2004-05-24, 16:30
I think you just need the password, which is "admin" by default.

NosferaDrew
2004-05-24, 17:15
Yeah, with Linksys it's admin/admin for the L/P.

Any other manufacturer you can just download the manual from the website. Most have pdf's available.

Wrao
2004-05-24, 20:42
Sometimes it's just admin with no password...I think that's how our linksys was, but I might be confusing it with the netgear we had for like 2 days.

alcimedes
2004-05-24, 21:05
go download MacStumbler, or KisMAC. for entertainment purposes only of course.

:D

um, and with KisMAC, be DAMN careful. you can hose your wireless card up good.

NosferaDrew
2004-05-24, 21:37
Sometimes it's just admin with no password...I think that's how our linksys was, but I might be confusing it with the netgear we had for like 2 days.
Maybe so, but I've got two Linksys routers - a BEFSR41 and a WRTG54G wireless and both are accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 in a browser, then you're prompted to enter the L/P, in my case, the default is admin/admin.

Those have been changed of course. :)

alcimedes is right KisMAC can mess things up, but it's quite powerful - be careful.
I walked around my floor in my apartment building late one night using MacStumbler and out of six networks, four were wide open. :eek:
That's why I bought the Linksys WRTG54G. It supports WPA which is much more secure than WEP.

Ebby
2004-05-25, 01:06
My Asante Router doesn't use a username, just a password but my Network Everywhere (I think they may actually be part of Linksys) used the default admin/admin like NosferaDrew said.

As for KisMAC... hehehe:D

3 Weeks ago I gave a report on wireless security in one of my classes that had nothing to do with anything wireless or secure. I needed eye candy so I brought in my wireless router (128-bit WEP encryption) and showed them the basics on how to... ;)

Than I covered new wireless technology coming out and the differences between WEP and WPA all while my laptop was cracking away on the projector behind me. That was an awesome presentation. I have an "A" for sure.

And for those who are concerned, I brought in MY network. I never used it on my school. (Thy don't use encryption anyways.)

But I get Kernel panics everything I log off, shut down, or restart so I stopped using it.

EDIT: Yup, I got an "A" :D

alcimedes
2004-06-01, 10:15
oh, as an addendum to the kismac info.

i had a few people ask about this, so thought i'd just post it publicly.

KisMac (as of now at least) won't support passive listening from an Airport Extreme card.

however, you get yourself one of a variety of pcmcia cards to pop in your powerbook (and some USB ones as well iirc for you iBook users) and it works like a charm.

interesting, also found out you can actually use the pcmcia card in passive mode, and the airport card in active mode at the same time. nice to be able to browse off of one network while cracking another.

Ebby
2004-06-01, 12:53
Not entirely true; or did I miss something? There is passive mode, however it is very buggy. I get Kernel panics every time I shut down, restart, sleep, or log off.

http://www.ssba.com/lad/passive.jpg

And yes, you can use 2 cards at the same time. I tried that with a old first-gen Prism cards but they don't work. Bummer, since I have like 5 of them laying around collecting dust. It is used to re-inject packets into a network and receive an error code. Somehow this is supposed to help retrieve a key or something. (I've never used it or know exactly how it works.)

alcimedes
2004-06-01, 13:24
actually, that's perfect.

i was too lazy to take a screengrab.

if you notice, the Airport Extreme is only listed in Active mode. in active mode you can't listen and crack.

the only passive mode Airport card is the first edition.

ZO
2004-06-02, 07:06
where can I download MacStumbler from? I tried macstumbler.com but its oos...

Kismac froze my iBook last night... not fun

NosferaDrew
2004-06-02, 07:15
where can I download MacStumbler from? I tried macstumbler.com but its oos...

Kismac froze my iBook last night... not fun
MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/index.php?os=macosx) or Version Tracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/).

n2nrn
2004-06-02, 22:31
Another reason to use an external card is so you can use an external antenna with some gain and directionality. To do it with an AE card is just plain ugly.
n2nrn