PDA

View Full Version : LCD Displays

mikekim75
2007-09-13, 10:41
I need to get a new lcd display so I can use with my xbox and my mac pro not at the same time necessarily but I have a 20 in apple cinama display which is DVI only and so I want to get one that is vga and dvi compatable. The problem is there are so many displays out there with many features. So I need a bit of advice on purchasing. I want to get a 20 to 24in with speakers that is under 800.00 $. Dell has some interesting displays but so do alot of other makers. The imprtant things are DVI VGA compatible under 800.$ and I'm thinking I need speakers because of the x box. Anybody with some advice is appreciated because this isn't easy. Thanks!

Luca
2007-09-13, 12:27
I'm leaving this thread open since it's in the right forum.

Also, a Dell display is what you want. Dell's 20" and 24" LCDs not only have both DVI and VGA, they also have video inputs that let you plug an Xbox or other game console directly into the monitor without using any kind of special converter box.

Kraetos
2007-09-13, 14:19
Yeah. Dell. Use a VGA-in cable for the video output. If you get a 24" display, you wont be able to go up to 1080i/p over VGA, but 720p is still very good.

Also, I would very much recommend you get some real external speakers. Speakers that come in displays are awful.

If you're looking for something with slightly better specs, then you'll want a Samsung. But it might not be worth the extra $$ to you.

If you get a monitor with component in, then you can also use the included YPbPr cables, and get 1080i.

Don Bagles
2007-09-13, 14:44
Don't abandon Apple. Always buy their LCD's. They look better externally, and because they have an apple logo on the front, the image quality is unexplainably clearer, crisper, and more soothing to the eyes.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-09-13, 15:10
The Xbox cables provide separate analog and digital audio connection capabilities. I would recommend using your home stereo or computer speaker setup instead of buying a monitor with built-in speakers. Or use a headphone setup if a stereo would be too loud. Headphones are the best for true stereo separation IMO.

FFL
2007-09-13, 15:57
I would recommend using your home stereo or computer speaker setup instead of buying a monitor with built-in speakers.
I agree.

If you want a decent LCD for CHEAP, look at the Acer DVI models at www.tigerdirect.com - I've gotten a few nice ones from there for less than $200 :cool:

Kraetos
2007-09-13, 17:17
Don't abandon Apple. Always buy their LCD's. They look better externally, and because they have an apple logo on the front, the image quality is unexplainably clearer, crisper, and more soothing to the eyes.

Hey look, there goes the point! Did you read his post or did you just jump to the bottom of the thread and post without thinking?*

1) He said that he needs to use his monitor with an Xbox. Therefore, he needs a monitor with VGA or component video in. This is not the ACD.
2) ACDs are "unexplainably clearer" only when running off a Mac. This is because the ACD is designed with OS X in mind, and the color profiles and various other little details match up perfectly.
3) Ladies and gentlemen, this is fanboyism at it's worst.** Like the Apple logo somehow improves the quality of the screen. Without going into details, mostly because, I already have (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=23048), the ACD is better for color-sensitive work, whereas a Dell or a Samsung is better for gaming, movies, etc.
4) If you don't need or want the color advantages of the ACD, you are spending more than you need to when you buy an ACD. It's that simple.

Love,
Kraetos.

* Trick question, because we all know you did just that.
** I am an Apple fanboy as well, but at least I know when they do something wrong (which is all too often in recent history).

zippy
2007-09-13, 17:36

Hey look, there goes the point! Did you read his post or did you just jump to the bottom of the thread and post without thinking?*

1) He said that he needs to use his monitor with an Xbox. Therefore, he needs a monitor with VGA or component video in. This is not the ACD.
2) ACDs are "unexplainably clearer" only when running off a Mac. This is because the ACD is designed with OS X in mind, and the color profiles and various other little details match up perfectly.
3) Ladies and gentlemen, this is fanboyism at it's worst.** Like the Apple logo somehow improves the quality of the screen. Without going into details, mostly because, I already have (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=23048), the ACD is better for color-sensitive work, whereas a Dell or a Samsung is better for gaming, movies, etc.
4) If you don't need or want the color advantages of the ACD, you are spending more than you need to when you buy an ACD. It's that simple.

Love,
Kraetos.

* Trick question, because we all know you did just that.
** I am an Apple fanboy as well, but at least I know when they do something wrong.

I'm inclined to think that mr. bagles was being sarcastic. Then again, it wouldn't be too much of a shocker if he wasn't.

"I'm sorry captain. My sarcasm detector does not seem to be working on this being. As a know-it-all Vulcan, I find this most disturbing. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to walk around and randomly vulcan-pinch the non-central characters to cheer myself up." - Spock

Fahrenheit
2007-09-13, 17:47

Jeez Bagles, you know so much about these things, what a mac geek.

Kraetos
2007-09-13, 19:14
I'm inclined to think that mr. bagles was being sarcastic. Then again, it wouldn't be too much of a shocker if he wasn't.

Given his track record, I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

rubber_Jedi
2007-09-14, 20:58
My 2ยข

I own a 24" Dell that I use with my Mac and XBOX 360. Love it!!

It's an awesome thing to simply hit the 'input select' button on the front of my Dell and instantly switch to my 360.
Also, if you purchase the VGA adapter for the 360, you can get a full 1080p resolution from the Dell 24" (1080i with original XBOX).

Re: color rendition on the Dell-
I use Photoshop and Maya all day long and the colors looks great. I suppose the Apple LCDs might have
an edge, theoretically, but I think my 3 Dell displays all have stellar color and clarity.
As with any display, the factory settings are ok but to get the most from the display, you have to adjust the settings
to your needs and environment.

The refresh rate on the Dell 24" is great as well so watching movies, previewing animations and XBOX gaming are all done with ease.

Re: design and looks-
I like the look of the Apple displays but I also like the thin black bezel on the Dell. It has a nice clean look.

Multiple displays-
If you use multiple displays (http://www.foundationimaging.net/files/post/deskpad.jpg) like my setup (17+24+17), you can use a wider variety of video cards to run the displays - because all Dells
offer a minimum of 2 inputs (VGA + DVI) and other like the 24" offer S-Video, Composite and Component inputs as well as media card readers. I'm currently running two displays from one video card that has a VGA and DVI out. Without the Dells, I would have to buy a thired display card.

Bottom line - getting a Dell is a smart decision if you need flexibility and multiple inputs.

RE: speakers, just get any system with a subwoofer. I use the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and they work great.
Don't waste you money on 'built in' speakers or the 'Sound Bar' that Dell offers for the bottom of their displays.
They all sound like crap without a source for BASS! The sub is critical!

Hope this helps...

Fahrenheit
2007-10-04, 03:04
Just in case anyone is on the lookout, Apple refurb has 20 inch ACDs for $499 - a saving of 60%.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=F9177LL/A