PDA

View Full Version : Something new for AirPort?

thefullm
2004-11-15, 22:52
I just bought an AirPort Extreme Base Station at BestBuy (Canada) -- and the price was knocked down by about $50.

Does anyone think that Apple might be trying to clear the Extreme Base Stations for something new? I'm thinking they might put a LAN port in Airport Express, and turn this into the primo base station???

Wickers
2004-11-15, 23:24
BestBuy. . . hehe...

BestBuy just might be moving stock of it's own, not because Apple wants it gone.

dfiler
2004-11-16, 16:18
I'd sell my first born for airVideo...
(We can only hope)

ja0912
2004-11-21, 19:43
I'd sell my first born for airVideo...
(We can only hope)

Elgato EyeHome (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyehome&PHPSESSID=df9df6cd3bd8daee38f08ed2515aeb33)
But you'd have to plug it into an Airport Express. (and have another Airport onto of that)

Almost an airVideo, but not quite. Hopefully we'll have one soon.

dfiler
2004-11-22, 10:46
I'm still holding out for airVideo. The Elgato solution is a desirable, but ugly hack.

It decodes video internally from a select few formats. I'd far prefer something that decodes on the Mac so that all that is needed is for your computer to be able to play the file. Currently, Airtunes is effectively limited to use with iTunes. Yet, this is a better (software) limitation as it should be remedied by the next iTunes release if not sooner. Meanwhile Eyehome type products are unlikely to support future codecs...

I think the difference is that I'm looking for an interfaceless device. To dumb things down a bit, what I'm looking for would best be described as an 'adapter'. Something to plug my computer into my hometheater, nothing more. If the phrase 'file formats' is in the manual... I don't want it. :lol: