PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new phone

PB PM
2007-10-03, 17:11
Meant to title this: Buying a new cell phone (wish I could change that).

I've been using a Motorola V190 (its GSM, via Rogers Canada) for the last 10 months, and it works fine, unless you drop it or shake it the wrong way and voice quality isn't great, with full reception. I use a prepaid plan because I don't use the phone at ton, but would like to have better voice quality, and having a camera on there would be nice for those times I don't carry my digital camera with me. I'm looking at some unlocked GSM phones through a dealer I like, so the list of phones I'm looking at is small. I do not want to spend more than $210 (including tax & shipping), thus limiting the list even more.

I like Motorola phones for the most part, I've been using them for 4 years, mostly at work, and those were higher end mic phones, but I'm also looking at one or two Samsung models, and Sony Ericsson as well. I would like one with Bluetooth syncing of address, numbers etc, that would work with my MBP (OSX 10.4 & XP Pro).

So these are the phones I'm looking at
Motorola: L6 & L6i ($121 Cdn. & $150 Cdn.)
Motorola: L7 & L7i ($176 Cdn. & $182 Cdn. I like the L7 look/specs, but the price is on the upper end of what I would like to spend)
Motorola: Razr V3 ($129 Cdn. Heard about lots of issues with these phones, although they are right in the price range I am looking at)
Samsung A501 ($170 Cdn.)
Sony Ericsson W200a ($170 Cdn. Low on the list since it doesn't have BT, and it looks thick)

Questions, if you've used any of these phones, do they work with isync for syncing, do they have good call clarity, features for the price?

Robo
2007-10-04, 20:05
The V3, L6, and L7 all work with iSync, but only for calendars and contacts, IIRC. The Samsung doesn't (only two Samsungs work, and that isn't one of them) and the SE might. Why not check the compatibility list on Apple.com (or Apple.ca ;)) for yourself?

PB PM
2007-10-05, 01:12
Thanks Robo, I didn't know there was a list, I'll check it out.