PDA

View Full Version : School project using MS Powerpoint.

Quagmire
2004-11-17, 21:37
I have to do a school project using Powerpoint. If I do have to do it at home, and email it to myself and open it in the schools Dells using Windows 2000, would it work and does it matter what version Powerpoint is? The Powerpoint on my Mac is Powerpoint X and the Powerpoint on windows is Powerpoint 2000.

staph
2004-11-17, 22:07
All other things being equal, it should be fine. In my experience in Law, going the opposite direction from Office 2000/XP —> Word X worked just fine (for a lot of powerpoints over the years — damn law lecturers).

Kickaha
2004-11-17, 22:08
Yeah, since MS keeps changing the file format from version to version and platform to platform, you need to make sure you Export the file as the proper Windows version for PowerPoint 2000. Fun, eh?

Quagmire
2004-11-17, 22:13
What I will probably do is make a phony project. Send it to myself using Gmail and try opening it in th media center there. If it doesn't work I will have to spend some lunch periods working on it.

Chinney
2004-12-06, 16:28
I’m weighing in late on this one. But just for the record – although I have been a critic of MS Office X - the one thing that I have not had problems with is compatibility between Office X and any recent version of Office for Windows (I have experience with 98, 2000, and XP). That includes compatibility for fairly complex format-intensive PowerPoints. I have had the very occasional need to fix a font that translated into some other typeset, but that’s it. Credit where credit is due: kudos to MS on this one, from me at least.

Brad
2004-12-06, 16:38
There's one thing you should be careful with:

Pasting Images.

I've had problems with images from Word v.X to the Windows version of Word 2003. If I copy a selection of an image on my Mac with, say, GraphicConverter and then paste it into the Word document, it never shows up on the Windows machine. The Windows machine complains about QuickTime not being present despite having the latest version installed.

This caused a full wasted hour of frustration and running back and forth between labs on campus one day for me this semester. :grumble:

Other than this issue, I've never really had problems using files on both the Mac and Windows versions of the Office apps.

MCQ
2004-12-06, 19:47
There's one thing you should be careful with:

Pasting Images.

I've had problems with images from Word v.X to the Windows version of Word 2003. If I copy a selection of an image on my Mac with, say, GraphicConverter and then paste it into the Word document, it never shows up on the Windows machine. The Windows machine complains about QuickTime not being present despite having the latest version installed.

This caused a full wasted hour of frustration and running back and forth between labs on campus one day for me this semester. :grumble:

Other than this issue, I've never really had problems using files on both the Mac and Windows versions of the Office apps.

Yep, don't paste. Always use the Insert menu --> Picture --> From File option. I don't recall having issues doing it this way. :)

Mac+
2004-12-06, 22:11
ut - I've managed to run PowerPoint files downloaded from Uni on my TiPB running Os 10.2.8 and Office v.x (not Office 2004) no probs. :)

I've transferred them too and had no major issues (aside from the insert pictures advice above).