PDA

View Full Version : One Laptop Per Me

Paul in Saudi
2007-10-14, 12:06
What are the technical specs of the One Laptop Per Child computer? Is it worth having one? I understand that in November (in the US) they will be available for US$400. At that price you get one and some child somewhere gets another. Thy buyer also gets a tax break.

Let's ignore the charitable aspects of this. I am looking for a cheap Linex machine. This one is supposed to be rugged and boast exceptional battery life. Cool. It also comes loaded with freeware. Even better.

But, what ports does it have? Can it be expanded?

(Of course at $400, who cares? Any cheaper and they will be giving them away with bottles of shampoo.)

rasmits
2007-10-14, 13:35
You might be better off finding a cheap, used laptop on ebay. It most probably won't be the same compact size, but if it's specs you're looking for, that would definitely be a better option.

chucker
2007-10-14, 13:43
I am looking for a cheap Linex machine.

Then OLPC is not for you.

Consider the Asus EeePC series instead. For $299, you get quite a perfectly fine laptop.

But, what ports does it have? Can it be expanded?

Seriously, if those things matter for you, OLPC XO is absolutely not for you. It has three USB ports and an SD card slot, and that's it.

Robo
2007-10-15, 01:55
Seriously, if those things matter for you, OLPC XO is absolutely not for you. It has three USB ports and an SD card slot, and that's it.

Ironically, those are actually the same ports as the Eee PC. ;) (The Eee has also VGA out, I suppose.)

But I second the suggestion for the Eee. It's more of a "real" (albeit basic) computer. And the keyboard, while small, looks vastly better than the membrane-style keyboard of the XO.

The XO would basically be a geeky toy. It'd be a very nice geeky toy, with a sweet dual-mode rotating display, etc., but...it's less practical for "a cheap Linux machine" for adults.

curiousuburb
2007-10-15, 06:32
But does it have a hand crank, or just make you cranky?

Paul in Saudi
2007-10-15, 09:07
Membrane keyboard. As the guy in Aliens said, "Game over, man."

No crank, That was a prototype.

Thank you all.

chucker
2007-10-15, 12:58
Ironically, those are actually the same ports as the Eee PC. ;) (The Eee has also VGA out, I suppose.)

And Ethernet.

Are you saying video out and wired networking aren't significant? ;)

Mugge
2007-10-15, 13:38
I can't remember the last time I used my ethernet port. Yet I have a whole pile of ethernet cables.

:rolleyes: