PDA

View Full Version : Looking into the Macbook Pro: should I wait?

strange_cloud
2007-11-01, 22:00
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum posting and was wondering if I could get some help. I have recently been very tempted to buy a macbook pro, as I wish to upgrade from my Dell Inspiron 6400 to something that actually works (had nothing but problems from my machine). I also wanted something with a lot of power, able to play games, and be sleek at the sametime so obviously I looked to the Macbook Pro. The problem is I have been looking the speculation thread lately and noticed that many people believe the Pro model will be updating soon. I see that there was the same idea on the macbooks and that indeed happened today, making the only huge difference between the pro and macbook: the integrated graphics card. The model I can afford is the low end one with only 128 MB of SDRAM whereas the 256MB will jump me up quite a bit in price. So I was wondering from the mac veterans out there, should I wait for the Pro's to upgrade because there will likely be a jump to the base model having a 256MB chip standard or do I buy one now? For the record I will wait to February at the most but would rather get one around Christmas time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PB PM
2007-11-02, 01:21
If there are any updates they will most likely happen in January, at the yearly Apple conference (MWSF).

chucker
2007-11-02, 01:24
An update this month wouldn't surprise me.

Robo
2007-11-02, 02:17
An update this month wouldn't surprise me.

Surely, if a MacBook Pro update was mere days away, Apple wouldn't bother updating the BTO options of the current MacBook Pro, like they did, um, today? Or is there something I'm missing?

I know Penryn is out this month, and everybody's excited about that, but I don't think we'll see new MacBook Pros until MWSF. The good news is that I think we'll see really new MacBook Pros then - it's about time the MacBook Pro got a redesign with all the MacBook's niceties, no?

chucker
2007-11-02, 03:34
Surely, if a MacBook Pro update was mere days away, Apple wouldn't bother updating the BTO options of the current MacBook Pro, like they did, um, today? Or is there something I'm missing?

They updated BTO options back in '06 mere weeks after introducing the 17-inch model. So, it wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/24/apple-releases-17-macbook-pro/
http://www.macrumors.com/2006/05/16/macbook-pro-speed-bump/

I know Penryn is out this month, and everybody's excited about that, but I don't think we'll see new MacBook Pros until MWSF. The good news is that I think we'll see really new MacBook Pros then - it's about time the MacBook Pro got a redesign with all the MacBook's niceties, no?

No, because then I'd be tempted to upgrade. :p

(Yes, I wish they'd bring those two in line or get it over with and merge them.)

Capella
2007-11-02, 08:00
At this point the merging would seem to make more sense, expanding the latch and the HD access from the MB to the MBP. Not the keyboard, though, I hope! And I hope they don't change the MBP's appearance, because it's very elegant and professional, even if it's been around a long time; it's really classic Apple design.

New MBPs would be very nice, though. (That way I can buy the current model discounted from somewhere!)

strange_cloud
2007-11-02, 09:22
I have a feeling there will be an update to differentiate the Macbook Pro from the new updated macbooks. I just want to know if you guys think they will have a standard 256MB graphics card, which is very quickly becoming the norm on the game market.

bassplayinMacFiend
2007-11-02, 09:24
If you have a computer you can use, I would wait until MWSF and if nothing was announced then I might even wait until the end of January. The current MBPs are pretty sweet but I think they still need the MacBook features previously mentioned; magnetic latch and easily accessible hard drives.

PB PM
2007-11-02, 12:32
I have a feeling there will be an update to differentiate the Macbook Pro from the new updated macbooks. I just want to know if you guys think they will have a standard 256MB graphics card, which is very quickly becoming the norm on the game market.
If you want a gaming machine, don't get a notebook, honestly. I doubt well see a MBP with 256MB VRAM GPU in the base model for a while yet, after all, Apple is still putting combo drives in low end MBs for goodness sake.

Robo
2007-11-02, 14:39
They updated BTO options back in '06 mere weeks after introducing the 17-inch model. So, it wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/24/apple-releases-17-macbook-pro/
http://www.macrumors.com/2006/05/16/macbook-pro-speed-bump/

Well, yeah - they added BTO options after an update (which was really just the addition of a new model, anyway). I'm talking about adding BTO options just before an update - it still doesn't make sense to me.

Why would Apple bother creating the option for a 2.6 GHz C2D if the MBP would have that chip standard in two weeks?

I still think there will be no MBP update until January, when the MBP will get a new design. So, to answer the OP's question, it would probably still be worth waiting, if possible.

Buy when you need it. If you can wait, do. If you can't wait, don't worry about it. Either way, you're getting a great computer. :)

strange_cloud
2007-11-03, 11:21
I guess I can wait until January because I know if there is a more sleek and luxurious look to the new MBP, then I am going to wish that I waited. On the other hand if I don't like the new model, I can always opt for the older design for cheaper. I just really hate to wait and wish they would release the new model sometime this month. I appreciate the advice from everyone.