PDA

View Full Version : Coda or Textmate?

torifile
2007-11-02, 22:39
I want to purchase one of these two apps. I know they're quite different, but I'm only going to buy one of them. Coda is real purty and pretty functional from what I can tell. Textmate is quite daunting but hella powerful.

I'm going to be doing web coding in them. PHP and HTML mostly. Some CSS, but I've got CSSEdit for that. I've also got a license for Transmit 3. It seems to me that I've got 2 of the 3 things that Coda is good for but I like the all-in-one place aspect of the program. If I could just figure out how to have it parse my PHP when in live previews, it'd be great.

So, any thoughts? They're essentially the same price since I get a $10 Transmit discount on Coda and the dollar is sucking complete ass against the Euro these days ($69 for Coda vs. about $59 for Textmate). TIA.

Wyatt
2007-11-02, 23:12
I really like having an all-in-one environment like Coda. I wish I could swing the $79 for a license right now. I really miss using it (my trial ran out weeks ago).

I've not used Textmate at all, but Coda is fabulous. :)

ast3r3x
2007-11-02, 23:53
I think I'm going to start using Textmate. I've used Coda exclusively for several months, and while I REALLY enjoy having the FTP built into the editor, I think I want something that just as some more power to it, and fall back on the let each program do one thing well.

Kraetos
2007-11-03, 23:40
For web coding, Coda. For other coding, TextMate.

(For the record, I have both. Right next to each other in the dock. Yay!)

Gargoyle
2007-11-04, 03:34
I would say TextMate. I have not really used Coda, but with the power that TextMate has, It could probably match Coda with a few extra macros. TextMate is also really good at calling other programs to do the work rather than trying to be a jack-of-all-trades.

For example, if you have Transmit open and connected to the place you want the files to go. You can simply press ctr-shift-F to trigger the upload. The PHP syntax checker actually uses your installed version of PHP - basically displaying the results of a "php -l <filename>"

ast3r3x
2007-11-04, 09:57
I've been playing with TextMate for a little bit, which is longer than I've ever played with it before. Definitely superior to Coda as far as coding goes. The built in FTP can't be worth the time that TextMate will save you.

chris e boy
2007-11-05, 14:30
Coda is absolutely brilliant. The program I never knew I needed until I tried it.

In most cases it knocks Adobe's monster web software Dreamweaver out of the water. There are some small niggles in the current version (like not auto-completing html tags and attributes) that let it down and some other apps are better for javascript (like Aptana. Code-hinting for javascript!) but overall, im very happy with Coda and glad I made the purchase.

As with all other Panic software products it will get better in time as more and more useful features are added (code hinting for JavaScript and Prototype library integration please!).

I used TextMate briefly but wasn't fussed on the user interface.

ast3r3x
2007-11-05, 18:38
After another day or so with TextMate it is even more amazing. It's bundles save you from writing so much code in a way that I really never thought was possible. The control you have over them really made me instantly drop using TextExpander.

<?php

?><select><?php

foreach ($someArray as $key => $value) {
?><?php
}

?></select><?php

?>

That code by hand, 146 keystrokes, and 38 are the shift key which really is annoying since I have problems in my left pinky from holding down the shift so often. Now in TextMate with the additions I've made to the PHP bundle, it's 73. Almost half the typing and a bunch less shifts.

Although that isn't 146 characters, I was keeping track of shifts, arrows and returns necessary for formatting.

Gargoyle
2007-11-05, 18:45
ast3r3x, check out my post in this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=26371&highlight=textmate)

Ohh, just found another useful one! How many times have you looked on the net for that paragraph of latin placeholder text? Now you can just type lorem<tab> :D

ast3r3x
2007-11-05, 19:07
ast3r3x, check out my post in this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=26371&highlight=textmate)

Ohh, just found another useful one! How many times have you looked on the net for that paragraph of latin placeholder text? Now you can just type lorem<tab> :D
Yeah It's impressive, and I've been adding my own as I go. It's really slick, and you wonder how you got by without it, and why nobody had thought of this sooner. TextExpander is nice, but it really just got shit on.

torifile
2007-11-05, 19:43
I think I'm going to go with TextMate. Thanks for the advice, all. Coda is pretty and very well-tailored to design but TextMate seems like an all around better coding environment. And it's slightly cheaper and doesn't duplicate anything I've already got.

torifile
2007-11-06, 22:47
I bought TextMate and I've been using it to probe drupal's guts. It's great for this. I've forgotten how useful folder-wide searches are. And the auto-completion is awesome. I think I made the right decision. Thanks for the advice, all. :)

Moogs
2007-11-06, 23:22
Since I started using Coda I haven't used anything else, not that I'm uber-coder or anything but it's just a very elegant solution for anything web. And they update it pretty frequently. 2.0 is going to kick some serious ass I have a feeling, or whatever the next major version is.

Kickaha
2007-11-06, 23:34
iLike iWeb.

Moogs
2007-11-07, 10:16
Har! Kick made a funneh... ;)

torifile
2007-11-07, 10:26
Har! Kick made a funneh... ;)
I thought he was serious. :o :o I was trying to figure out how to use iWeb to code. I thought it would be tre-cool. :o

Kickaha
2007-11-07, 11:48
Heh. Well, I use TextMate for my Real Work(tm), but I do indeed use iWeb for my home website. The templates are nice looking, it's simple, and I don't need anything fancy.

I've *even* decided to not upgrade to MacOS X 10.5 Server at home, and instead use .mac and gmail/IMAP with our domain on each. Shocker.