PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Surge Protectors and UPS

Jason
2007-11-14, 17:22
Hi there,

I recently bought a good quality surge protector for my Powerbook and External Drive. While researching which model to get, I got kind of interested in the whole thing and have decided to get a UPS too.

I've read that cheaper UPS units don't offer that good a surge protection. Therefore, my question is: would I still get the full surge protection if I bought a UPS and plugged that into the surge protector I've just purchased (which would be then plugged into the wall). Wouldn't the equipment still be covered by the higher surge protection strip because it is higher up the chain? so to speak.

To be honest, the whole thing is a bit confusing. I'd just like to know that I'd have decent surge protection/power interruption for my equipment.

Anyone with advice would be really welcome.

Regards

Shades of Blue
2007-11-14, 17:36
I'm kind of confused as to why you'd want a UPS for a PowerBook if you already have a good surge protector. Doesn't the PowerBook sort of have a built-in UPS?

Jason
2007-11-14, 18:17
yeah, I just realised that. :)
To be honest, its the external running TM that I'm most concerned about.

Regards

tomjennings83
2007-11-15, 16:23
to answer your question yes you will get the benefit of both when they are both connected to each other