PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite Special Editions

drewprops
2007-11-23, 16:43
I saw a Zelda-themed DS Lite at a place called "Game Stop" today and it was US$150. Is that a good/standard price? It comes with one of those Zelda games in it... not sure that I'm a "gold" machine kind of guy though.

Are there other special editions on the horizon that might be better? I know from Robo that there are a jillion of them out there, thought it would be appropriate to have a separate thread about them.

SKMDC
2007-11-23, 17:02
I saw a Zelda-themed DS Lite at a place called "Game Stop" today and it was US$150. Is that a good/standard price? It comes with one of those Zelda games in it... not sure that I'm a "gold" machine kind of guy though.

Are there other special editions on the horizon that might be better? I know from Robo that there are a jillion of them out there, thought it would be appropriate to have a separate thread about them.

DS's are like Apple products, you rarely see much fluctuation in prices. 129 is pretty standard for a DS Lite, the introduction of special game packaging schemes is new to me this year.
We got both of our sons DS Lites last year and I never saw it packaged like I've seen this year.

drewprops
2007-11-23, 17:33
Thx SuperKarateMonkeyDeathCar.
Okay, so getting a Zelda cartridge for $20 isn't bad at all.... so I'm heading to get that Zelda game now.... knowing that there'll be a Mario-themed one released the moment I open the box..... :lol:

Robo
2007-11-24, 01:02
Yup, Nintendo released two special DS Lite bundles for the holidays (a gold one packaged with Zelda, and a metallic rose one packaged with Nintendogs, both for $149) and yes, they're both excellent deals. (The Zelda one, especially, suprises me. That game just came out last month!)

I still think the red/black Brain Age 2 bundle is the best deal of all. You technically aren't saving any money on the system and game (Brain Age 2 is normally $20) but you do get a suprisingly nice DS case for free. And that's the only way to get that case. Plus, I love the red/black DS - the bottom half is this grippy matte material, so it doesn't show any fingerprints, but the sparkly top half has just enough bling to make up for it. :D But I haven't actually seen either of the new DS lites in the flesh...they just came out today, after all!

So, they're really good deals, but I don't feel too bad about buying a new DS lite and Zelda (together, even!) just last month. Zelda was so awesome, I'm glad I didn't wait.

Robo
2007-11-24, 01:12
DS's are like Apple products, you rarely see much fluctuation in prices. 129 is pretty standard for a DS Lite, the introduction of special game packaging schemes is new to me this year.
We got both of our sons DS Lites last year and I never saw it packaged like I've seen this year.

Yup. The prices of all game systems are pretty much set by the manufacturers - if a store charges more or less than the list price, the manufacturers respond by not giving that store any more systems.

All of the DS bundles (Zelda, Nintendogs, and Brain Age) are new this year. (Last year was the DS lite's first year on the market, and we couldn't keep them in stock anyway.) There are two types of system bundles: Ones that are released by the manufacturer, that are usually good deals, and ones that are created by the store, which usually suck. For example, many stores are responding to the Wii shortage by forcing interested persons to purchase a "bundle" that inevitably includes a bunch of accessories and games of dubious quality at no discount whatsoever - if ya want the Wii, ya gotta buy the bundle. It's basically a way of unofficially jacking up the price of the Wii (they can't raise the price of the actual system, remember) to make it more profitable. For all of my store's faults, we don't pull such shenanigans (well, I think our website might, but that's a whole 'nother animal) - we only sell base systems and official bundles, which makes me happy. The downside is that we're always sold out of Wiis. :(

drewprops
2007-11-27, 23:42
Hey!!
I just registered the game tonight and was given a quiz and then they said they're going to send me a "feather stylus".... whatever that is..... cool... I guess?

turtle
2007-11-28, 00:08
Hey!!
I just registered the game tonight and was given a quiz and then they said they're going to send me a "feather stylus".... whatever that is..... cool... I guess?

Oooo, post pictures when you get it. Don't forget the un-boxing. :D I always loved Link and the Zelda series.

Souflay123
2007-11-28, 15:27
I paid 143 at Circuit City, so it is a good price.

Robo
2007-11-28, 15:46
I hope someone trades in a copy of the Best Friends edition of Nintendogs (only available in the bundle). It's not any different from any other Nintendogs (just different breeds unlocked from the outset) but the boxart - two puppies playing, or pawing, their Nintendo DSes - is just too cute. :D

Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest. I wanted to tell someone all day yesterday at work, but I don't think anyone would care. :p

drewprops
2007-11-28, 23:00
Oooo, post pictures when you get it. Don't forget the un-boxing. :D I always loved Link and the Zelda series.

JEeepers, I'll have to go looking for the box!!
It's all torn into and such now..... back to Zelda!

Robo
2007-11-29, 02:40
Yeah, the bundle boxes are impossible to open neatly. But both the system and the game have their regular retail boxes inside, so it's okay (although I'm a box whore, so I kept the outer box, too - thrashed top or not.)