PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PS2 controllers

Kickaha
2007-12-01, 19:13
Looking for a couple of these. Now that I've had the fun of the Wiimotes, I *hate* having wires running across the living room. :p

+ Rumble
+ Rechargeable (AA or such okay)
+ Decent heft
+ Low lag/dropouts
+ Decent battery life
+ $$

- $$$$$

Any suggestions? As an aside, will wireless PS3 controllers work with the PS2? Vice-versa? (Trying to future proof the purchase at least a *little* bit...)

spotcatbug
2007-12-01, 19:22
I bought a GameStop branded MadCatz wireless controller for my PS2 about a year ago. I like it a lot. I didn't do any research before buying; I just happened to be in a GameStop and remembered I wanted a wireless controller, so I grabbed what I thought was the best one they had for the money. It was about $20. Uses three AAA batteries. It seems to be pretty battery-frugal. I haven't had to replace them yet, but I don't game every day. The weird thing about it (that I didn't notice until I got it home), that it turns out I like very much, is that it's slightly smaller than the regular controller's size. It seems to fit better in my hands, which aren't small at all.

This probably wasn't very helpful. I guess the moral of this story is that maybe you really can't go too wrong just getting whatever.

lightning_bug
2007-12-01, 20:00
Wireless PS2 controllers will not work with the PS3, and PS3 controllers will not work with the PS2. Sad, but true. :)

I don't know which wireless controller will work best for the PS2, but I can't imagine that the MadCatz one wouldn't work for your needs. My brother had one and loved it; I personally prefer the Sony-branded controllers for feel (at least until the wires start going on them). Your mileage, of course, may very.

Robo
2007-12-02, 01:19
The best one out there, hands down, is the Logitech one. That's the one I recommend to my customers, as it's the only one I would actually use (I don't usually like off-brand controllers). But that's also going to be the most expensive ($30+), and it's kind of big (although it feels smaller than it looks). So it's not for everyone.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have some Pelican (I think) wireless pads on sale for $10 during the holidays. I can't imagine they'd be worse than MadCatz ones. :lol:

/controllerwhore

Kickaha
2007-12-02, 01:27
I'd actually been looking at the Logitech Precision Controllers, Robo, thanks for the input. I tried out a wired MadCatz controller for the PS1 a couple years ago, and didn't really care for it - it felt really plasticky and flimsy in my hands. Could be completely different now, of course. :) The Logitech may be a few more bucks, but if it's going on the Xmas gift list... ;)