PDA

View Full Version : elgato tv tuner

artesc
2007-12-20, 19:26
I just have one question about my new elgato tv hybrid, I need an atenna and was wondering if you all had any suggestions. I want something that is portable enough to carry around with me, someting reliable and small,( say the size of a large pencil???) don't know if that's possible, but one can hope right?

thanks in advance

jcoley2
2007-12-20, 20:06
Why do you need an antenna? Do you not have cable?

torifile
2007-12-20, 20:32
The TV tuner can go with your laptop, so he probably wants a way to watch t.v. away from his cable. I have no recommendations, but I thought I'd clarify. :)

NosferaDrew
2007-12-20, 23:27
Large pencil size? I don't know about that, but...

There might be smaller antennas (I haven't seen one), but my Philips PHDTV1 (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Philips+PHDTV1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf) antenna works great with my eyetv and it comes apart in three pieces and can easily fit in a backpack (about $20 too!).

http://pimages.solidsignal.com/ZHDTV1_zoom.gif

drewprops
2007-12-21, 00:41
Drew, that is one sweet little antenna!!

/doesn't have cable and, yet, amazingly lives and breathes!! :p

Brave Ulysses
2007-12-21, 03:47

You can get Free over the air HD with a simple antenna.... usually more expensive and complicated with cable, especially if mobility is a desire.

There might be smaller antennas (I haven't seen one), but my Philips PHDTV1 antenna works great with my eyetv and it comes apart in three pieces and can easily fit in a backpack (about $20 too!).
I have that... two things though...
1. It's very fragile, be careful and if you move it, dissassemble it, but be careful when pulling the "wing" out of the stand... it can pull apart.
2. I actually get better reception with a cheap $1 UHF antenna I purchased at a Chinese dollar store.... :-\

artesc
2007-12-23, 21:51
Hmm, that's strange because I saw a review for the tuner on youtube and the guy talking pulled some small, extendable antenna out of the box, about the size of a large pencil then it just extended. And I also saw some other brand of tv tuner at best buy that had a tuner exactly like i described. strange. I'll guess i'll have to keep looking

merry christmas!

Brave Ulysses
2007-12-24, 00:21
Hmm, that's strange because I saw a review for the tuner on youtube and the guy talking pulled some small, extendable antenna out of the box, about the size of a large pencil then it just extended. And I also saw some other brand of tv tuner at best buy that had a tuner exactly like i described. strange. I'll guess i'll have to keep looking

merry christmas!

The European version comes with that cute little antenna.

I wish the US version did.