PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch right for me?

Capella
2007-12-26, 21:35
Hi guys! I got $325 for Christmas and I'm considering an iPod Touch, but I'm not 100% positive yet, so I thought I would ask my good friends at AppleNova whether the Touch is REALLY the right product for me. I thought I would lay out what I'm (likely) going to be doing with it and see what you guys think.

I already own an iPod. Actually, I own two, but only one works. It's a 20GB 4G iPod- not color, doesn't play videos, but plays music, and that's all I need. I have videos on my computer, but none of them are iPod formatted. I don't even know how to format videos to be used on an iPod, probably because I don't have one that can use them. Also, I don't plan to be looking at photos on it, either. So the video and photo features won't be used, but the music feature will be.

I like the fact that the Touch can surf the web. But I'm on a college campus 90% of my time that has wireless in all the public areas, and I almost always have my laptop with me everywhere unless I'm only going to eat, and I never check my email then. So the fact that it can check email and surf the web might be occasionally convenient (i.e. check Rutgers' NextBus website to see how long before the next bus to another campus comes), but will likely almost never be used, because I have a laptop to do that with.

I do, however, have a large amount of text files that I like to read. Most are novels, courtesy of things like Project Gutenburg and the Baen Free Library. Others are fanfiction or the like that I really enjoy and have saved to read over and over again. Most of these are in .txt and .rtf files, while a few are .html or .pdf, but those are the minority. Until November, I was reading them on an old PocketPC, but the battery has given out and the stupid thing doesn't have a replaceable battery. Now I just read them on my laptop. This laptop reading is fine for general use. On the other hand, I fly home a few times a year, and my laptop isn't going to last an hour ride to the airport, wait time there plus a two hour flight, plus a two hour car ride home from the airport in Florida. The PocketPC did manage to last that long for reading. I'm hoping the iPod Touch would do the same- considering book reading wouldn't take much battery (I imagine, since I'd have wi-fi off and I wouldn't be listening to music at the same time), I imagine it should last that long. On the other hand, I would have to jailbreak it and find an app to read these files, and I don't know how to do that; I'm sure someone here could tell me how easy that is and/or point me to the right places though.

It comes down to this: I may not need a Touch, as beautiful and covetable as it is, to do what I want to do. If all I'm going to do is listen to music and read text files/eBooks, I could theoretically keep my current iPod and buy something like a Palm Z22. (Which is also a lot cheaper than an iPod Touch!) It would be less convenient to use 2 devices, rather than just have 1 that does both, but I really don't know if I would ever use the Internet surfing feature or if I would ever watch videos, which means the Touch's advantage may not be worth it. So, what would you recommend?

EDIT: And, if you recommend against the Touch, idea for a Palm-like replacement? The Z22 is cute and tempting but lacks an SD slot and the next up model is $100 more :(

psmith2.0
2007-12-26, 22:05
Just based on all you've provided above, I'm thinking the iPod touch isn't the ideal product for you.

But I'm not up on other things enough to suggest an alternative. But the "no photos/video, but I read lots of files" thing kinda makes me think you might not be happy with an iPod touch (or use it at its intended, full potential).

Robo
2007-12-26, 23:23
If you're primarily looking for something to read on, I would get a Sony Reader or an Amazon Kindle. A 3.5" LCD is not something you want to read novels on.

Capella
2007-12-26, 23:28
Readers and Kindles are too much (Kindle's $399 before any books and doesn't do anything else? ridiculous), plus I don't know if the Reader syncs with Macs, and Kindle has no easy way to get eBooks you don't buy from Amazon on it (unless I'm missing one). I've already rejected those ideas. As for LCD size, the PocketPC I used to use had only a 2.5" screen- not fantastic, but it worked. I

Thanks for the advice, though. I rethought my opinion on never using the wireless (it might be convenient while waiting for a bus or in the dining hall when pulling out my laptop would be less convenient), but I still think I'd never use video playback, only audio.

Robo
2007-12-26, 23:51
Readers and Kindles are too much (Kindle's $399 before any books and doesn't do anything else? ridiculous), plus I don't know if the Reader syncs with Macs, and Kindle has no easy way to get eBooks you don't buy from Amazon on it (unless I'm missing one). I've already rejected those ideas. As for LCD size, the PocketPC I used to use had only a 2.5" screen- not fantastic, but it worked.

There is unofficial software to make the Reader work with Mac. No Connect store, of course, but it works really well for syncing. The only thing is, your PDF books will be hard to read (they're designed for 8.5x11" pieces of paper, not 6" screens) unless you resize them.

As far as the Kindle goes, there are several easy ways to sync non-Amazon-bought books with it. You can just sync them over USB. Amazon will even resize your PDFs for you if you email them to your Kindle account (contrary to popular belief, this does not require a fee - the fee is only charged if you email them wirelessly over the air to your Kindle).

I wish there was a way for people to try the Reader/Kindle before they buy it, before I think once people tried it they'd "get it" and they wouldn't go back to reading novels off of PDAs. The new Reader's design, especially, is very nice and thin and perfectly tailored to curling up with, just like a book. The Kindle design needs a little work, but with the Kindle what you're really buying into is the service. The flaws of the Kindle will be fixed, and all of the ebook readers' prices will drop in time...

2007-12-27, 00:04
Regardless, I'd wait to see what MWSF has in store. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see another multi-touch device introduced. Ideally, about 50% larger than the Touch with some sort of note-taking capability. That's the device I'm waiting for. The extra screen space would be a perfect middle-ground between a laptop and the Touch for surfing the web.

psmith2.0
2007-12-27, 00:28
I actually expect something like this too. We're focused on that subnotebook rumor, but between those patent drawings and the success of the iPhone and Multi-Touch, you have to think that Apple is looking to exploit that capability and ease-of-use, creating something that fits squarely between an iPod touch and MacBook...marrying the nicest, most useful features and capabilities from each.

Granted, it would probably be $599-799 (knowing Apple). But if you didn't need the full processing and graphics power (and ability to install third-party apps like Photoshop) of a MacBook, I bet there's a market out there for an OS X-based device that does all that an iPod touch does, plus offers storage, basic document support/display/creation (PDF, .txt, etc.). A single USB port, flash storage and a built-in iSight. A communication/organization gizmo of some sort...more muscle than an iPhone or iPod touch, but not quite the bulk (or expense) of a full-blown notebook.

I think so many "regular people" would take to the Multi-Touch way of using a computer, vs. a mouse and keyboard. I think there's a reason Steve made a big point of it at last year's MWSF, putting it up there with the original mouse and iPod click-wheel interfaces. Surely they've got more planned for this than just a phone and iPod?

My ex-in laws are actually looking to buy a MacBook for this very purpose (something small and light to take on the road with them, now that they're retired and starting to do the RV thing - they're headed to Fort Myers, Florida this Saturday, in fact), but I know they're love something even more lug-able and light like this than a full-blown laptop (since they've already got a nice computer at home with all the bells and whistles).

Here's hoping...

709 has a point, Capella. It's so close to MWSF. If you're in a position to wait another 2-3 weeks, it might be worth it...just to see what's what?

hiltond
2007-12-27, 20:59
I thought about buying an iPod touch but wasn't sure if I would drive myself crazy taking my gloves on and off while waiting for the train.

Capella
2007-12-27, 21:40
I really really don't want a device like that that isn't the best of either world, though. Right now, my purse (which is a camera bag) carries a camera, cell phone, iPod, and wallet. It used to carry the PocketPC too. I'm planning on replacing my PowerBook with a MacBook by May. What I want is a small device that can go into my purse and be pulled out at any moment to read and then be put away just as easy. Something smaller than a laptop but bigger than an iPod/iPhone is definitely too big and too advanced.

The con of a Touch is its price and the fact that I won't use all its features. The advantage is I could reduce the clutter of stuff I carry by combining the book reader and iPod into one.

torifile
2007-12-27, 22:52
Wait until MWSF. There are no guarantees if anything you want will be released, but it's just over 2 weeks away.