PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on MacBook vs MacBook Pro

krystaltiger
2007-12-29, 19:55
Good Evening,

Currently I have a 800mhz G4 laptop, but its starting to show its age and now the video card is starting to go out. I have been told that the card can't be replaced, so I am in the market as it were to start looking for a new one.

Currently, I use it for surfing, "office" type things plus Dreamweaver & photoshop elements. I would like to do some video stuff later in the future, but nothing above a hobby level.

So I am trying to decide if I go with the MacBook or MacBook Pro. I wish I could say the sky's the limit with $$$, but it isn't. I do know for sure that the larger MacBook Pro is out of the question as its almost "too big"

Thanks in advance on any suggestions, recommendations you might have.

Fahrenheit
2007-12-29, 20:11
Both would seem fine for the needs you have outlined, as long as the video editing really is "hobby level". If you go for the MacBook, get maxed out RAM. Obviously the MBP is nicer than the MB, but thats why its more expensive. Go for whatever you feel comfortable paying for, but either will be fine for your needs. Although for photoshoppy stuff, remember the MB has quite a small screen.

:)

Miko
2007-12-30, 00:37
I would say pull the trigger and don't look back, buy as much computer as you can afford. Both are very capable machines but for dealing with Photoshop work and color accuracy to me the matte screen makes the MBP an obvious choice IMHO; plus the larger screen real estate you will be wondering what made the decision so hard.

Bottom line, if you have the $$$ get the MBP.

curiousuburb
2007-12-30, 06:07
<obligatory>...
if you absolutely need it now... buy one... (for hobby use, MB should be fine with maxed ram (from 3rd party))
but given the fact that MWSF is pending, and many would argue the MBPs are (over)due for a bump (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/),
if you can wait... wait a few weeks. Updated MBP choices may appear.
</obligatory>

Robo
2007-12-30, 06:24
Since this question comes up so often, I give you...

***Roboman's Rule of Awesome***

If you need to ask yourself whether to get the MacBook or the MacBook Pro, get the MacBook.

(The people who need to spend twice as much for a notebook know why.)

That said, I would most definitely wait until MWSF. It's only, what, two weeks now?