PDA

View Full Version : Chinese handwriting recognition software

Is it 1981?
2008-01-01, 17:30
This may be a bit of an esoteric/ less-than-usual scenario but just wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.

My folks are looking to buy a new computer after their four-year-old PC has been rendered close to worthless. They're not particularly tech-savvy which is why I want to steer them toward getting a Mac mini. It'd only really be used for general email, browsing and word-processing (and undoubtedly they'll start using iPhoto and iTunes).

The only thing that's a potential problem (apart from the relatively high price) is that my dad wants to be able to use a little tablet and write Chinese characters which will be recognised by the system. I know there are some out there for Windows, but few I've been able to find support Vista, let alone Mac OS X.

So I guess the question here is does anyone know of any tablets/ software that will let him do the job? And if so, how have you found using it day-to-day? Mac OS X compatibility would be preferred, but Vista-compatible also gladly considered.