PDA

View Full Version : Anything better then Adobe Streamline?

usurp
2004-12-02, 05:56
I have been using streamline for a couple of years now. its been pretty good to me but it still runs in os9 and i just hate booting classic up everytime i need to use it.

is there anything better?

psmith2.0
2004-12-02, 09:45
I used the demo to this, a while back:

http://www.silhouetteonline.com

But it's a bit pricey! :eek:

It certainly worked, but I didn't really need it long-term.

ast3r3x
2004-12-02, 10:18
I had a thread about this a while ago. There are a couple, none of them work as well as you would expect. Corel made one that worked decently well.

usurp
2004-12-04, 03:08
pscates, i downloaded silhouette, its pretty cool so far. still need to get used to the interface but the first thing i asked it to vectorize worked perfectly.

phutyle
2004-12-06, 19:57
If you have Freehand MX, you can use the Trace tool to convert bitmaps into vector images. Adobe really should incorporate Streamline's capabilities into Photoshop or Illustrator, since they don't seem to be developing the standalone product any more.

usurp
2004-12-07, 00:33
yeah we got Freehand MX in the office but damn man no matter how much i try i can never figure out how to use it. When we get artwork done on freehand i usually just export as illustrator format and open it in illustrator. i barely know how to print stuff within freehand!

but yeah, i am suprised why adobe hasnt included it yet in illustrator..

phutyle
2004-12-07, 07:25
usurp, I realise silhouette is probably doing what you want, but just for the record (and anyone else who's interested), just open your bitmap image in Freehand, select the Trace tool (looks a bit like Photoshop's Magic Wand with a document icon behind it), and drag over your image. It will automagically convert it to paths and fills. Note that the original bitmap image will still be under your vector version. Double click on the Trace tool itself to adjust its settings.

And I understand how you feel about Freehand. This is the one thing I use it for (it came with Studio MX 2004 - would never have bought it on its own).

curiousuburb
2004-12-07, 12:31
usurp, I realise silhouette is probably doing what you want, but just for the record (and anyone else who's interested), just open your bitmap image in Freehand, select the Trace tool (looks a bit like Photoshop's Magic Wand with a document icon behind it), and drag over your image. It will automagically convert it to paths and fills. Note that the original bitmap image will still be under your vector version. Double click on the Trace tool itself to adjust its settings.

And I understand how you feel about Freehand. This is the one thing I use it for (it came with Studio MX 2004 - would never have bought it on its own).
If you've already got Studio MX, you might try Flash's "Trace Bitmap" function as well as Freehand.

Produces more colour stroke and fill than Streamline, but Trace Bitmap also has two adjustment sliders.

usurp
2004-12-08, 00:53
Ah yes! I remember, I did use flash once breifly to do a trace! How could i forget. And I think it came out better then I expected.

Its good to have many options :)