PDA

View Full Version : CMS recommendations, please!

iFerret
2008-01-05, 05:35
I'm a web designer, as you might know, and I offer the ability for my clients to have a CMS installed on their site so that they can manage the content, as opposed to me having to do it. Thankfully no one has asked for it, because it just occured to me that I don't actually have a CMS to offer. Whoops.

On my own personal site I use Textpattern, mainly because WordPress kept getting buggered because of my crap server and because it was free, works okay and seemed pretty. I don't actually use Textpattern to it's full potential, as I only use it to manage the blog part of my site. Everything else is just static HTML that I've handcoded, as opposed to using Textpattern's pages feature (which I assume does that sort of thing).

So, I'm looking for a CMS that fulfils the following requirements:

is free
is easy for my clients to use (they're technophobes, so it needs to be pretty simple)
has support for a pages feature - basically I design the site and then the CMS manages the content on each page
is easy enough to install and maintain
works with me creating the design, easily, with skills I already have (xHTML, CSS, a little bit of PHP, the tiniest bit of Java)
isn't Wordpress (because it doesn't like to work on my server (unless it has to be, in which case, I'll make it work))
isn't Textpattern, because I think it's probably too complicated for most of my clients
PHP - must be PHP/MySQL or PHP/TxtSQL

What can you recommend?

TIA

torifile
2008-01-05, 10:39
Drupal.

ghoti
2008-01-05, 12:15
Drupal is great, but I wonder if it's really the best choice for users who only need to fill in a bit of content and are not very tech-savvy. What you could do is give them a limited account on their own site which only exposes the functionality they need (e.g., new page/story, menu, logs).

I don't generally like textpattern, but its backend is structured quite well, imho, and keeps people from messing with things they shouldn't mess with.

iFerret
2008-01-05, 22:58
Thanks for the replies, and I will look into Drupal.

I don't know if this matters/changes anything, but it just occurred to me to say that this is run off of one shared hosting account. But there are tons of MySQL databases and tons of space. And by default, each add-on domain is given it's own subfolder of the main account.

Themodem
2008-01-06, 05:59
Heya, i offer the same thing, and i use CMSMS (Content Management System Made Simple)
Its easy to setup and you can allow users to add new content and such to the system.

www.cmsmadesimple.org/

The templates it uses are based on Smarty (http://www.smarty.net/)

Hope this helps

Lee

Bill Gates
2008-01-06, 16:52
ExpressionEngine Core. (http://expressionengine.com/)