PDA

View Full Version : Espresso machines

Kickaha
2008-01-06, 03:20
Recently, my decade old POS Krups steam 'espresso' machine died, and I've decided to get a real machine. Pump, preferably brass/stainless steel internals, reasonably sized boiler, quick heat-up time... oh, and not horribly expensive. :)

I've looked at Gaggia, Breville, Briel, and even a Nemox. Nothing is really grabbing me as that sweet spot, and I'm starting to hit analysis paralysis.

So I toss it out to y'all... what's been your experience with espresso machines? What's been good for you? Bad? Inconsistent? Finicky but excellent?

I already have a good palate for beans, a couple of *excellent* local roasters to choose from, and a pretty darned good burr grinder that gives consistent results. While the Krups made an iffy shot at best, it did last a decade, and only cost me $50 to begin with. I'd like to find something similarly solid, for under $300 if possible, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if it's good enough that I can convince the wife on the additional outlay. :)

rasmits
2008-01-06, 08:25
My mom has a Rialto Delonghi or something like that. I don't know how much it costs, but it's amazing. I think she bought it at Starbucks.

Besides that, the Philips Senseo seems to be pretty popular. I was thinking about buying one - they work really well and cost about 80€, which isn't bad. I'd have to get use to the 'cartridge coffee' thing though...

Edit: I guess since you're into local roasters the capsule thing wouldn't work for you.

cosus
2008-01-06, 10:10
Manual press is the only way to go. Automatic presses just don't do it justice.

judeobscure
2008-01-06, 10:34
I started off with a Gaggia which did a good job but the brew it produced was lacking.

I now have a Rancilio Sylvia and Rancilio Rocky grinder. The 2 produce excellent espresso but the Sylvia alone was 500.00.

I bought the Sylvia after researching all the brands and that was the machine most recommended for its ease of use, reliability and its solid construction(30 lbs).

If you buy a good machine you will probably need a grinder which can be hideously expensive. Rancilio and Mazzer make good grinders which both work well and are not as expensive as the others.

I did have a Saeco super automatic machine which will grind, tamp, brew, dispense and dump the coffee grounds, but no matter how much I tinkered with the settings I couldn't get the flavor I wanted. I sold the machine on eBay.

You will also need a good tamper to compact the ground coffee in the basket before brewing and that can run anywhere between 10-30 bucks.

You should also consider what type of water you have. If you have hard water you should use bottled or consider getting a softener of some type. My machine has a removable water filter in the tank.

You will also need to clean the machine to remove the coffee oils and other gunk that forms. For that you will need brushes, and a chemical cleaner such as GloJoe. Some machines require you to clean them with backflushing.

Don't waste your money on the cheapie Walmart machines.

BenP
2008-01-06, 11:17
Manual press is the only way to go. Automatic presses just don't do it justice.

I agree, especially if you already have a burr grinder. You have to spend a ton to get a decent espresso machine.

NosferaDrew
2008-01-06, 12:22
I've got a good ol' Starbucks Barista:

http://homepage.mac.com/drew1/.Pictures/Starbucks_Barista.jpg

A solid, reliable machine that pulls a pretty good shot.

Both of my brothers just bought Gaggias. One got the Gaggia Classic while the other bumped up to the Gaggia Syncrony. Both very nice machines that produce tasty results.

Windswept
2008-01-06, 13:46
I just checked costco.com and read up on this one:

Saeco Spidem Villa Silver Espresso Machine
Conical Burr Grinder, Push Button Technology, OptiDose System and Removeable Brew Group

$479.99
Item # 228065
Shipping & Handling included *

The Spidem Villa by Saeco will grind, dose, tamp, brew and dispense exceptional quality coffee, all with the push of a button. The patented Pannarello steam wand allows you to prepare creamy frothed milk with ease. The Saeco OptiDose adjustable doser enhances the flexibility of making your perfect cup of espresso. Not only can you adjust the fineness of the grinds and level of coffee brewed, but also the amount of ground coffee used to make each individual cup, from 6 - 9 grams.

Features:

Conical Burr Grinder - The Spidem Villa Silver has a built-in conical burr grinder with 18 different grind settings (- fine to + coarse), which allow you to adjust the strength of the coffee. Each burr is made of high quality tempered steel, which is meant to last the lifetime of the machine, with little maintenance required.

The Saeco OptiDose System allows you to adjust the amount of coffee that is ground for each individual cup. It adjusts from 6 to 9 grams of ground beans per brewing cycle, which affects the strength of espresso from mild to strong.

Push Button Technology - Automatically create the perfect cup of espresso every time. The Spidem Villa Silver will grind the right amount of coffee, tamp, brew and dispense the used grounds into an internal dregdrawer, all at the push of a button. The large adjustable coffee dial regulates the amount of coffee brewed for each beverage, from 1 oz. to 8 oz.

Removable Brew Group - Easy Clean System - The heart of every Saeco machine is the removable brew group, where the ground coffee and water meet to brew delicious coffee. The brew group will dose, tamp, brew and dispense the coffee all in on cycle. The brew group has been designed to produce the perfect cup of coffee for every brew.

The brew group is also removable and very simple to clean and maintain. With the Easy Clean System, the brew group can be easily removed and then cleaned with warm water and regular dish soap. There is never a need for costly cleaning agents which have a tendency to leave behind residue which will effect the taste and consistency of your coffee.

Saeco is committed to producing machines that brew the best cup of coffee possible, and with the removable brew group in the Spidem Villa Silver you are assured to brew perfection every time.

I am a huge Costco fan, and always prefer paying warehouse prices instead of normal retail. (Their books, just as one example, are generally priced at 55% of standard retail (bookstore) prices.)

If you don't have a Costco near you, I noticed that shipping and handling seem to be included in the price listed.
The easy-cleaning feature sounds pretty nice. :)

tomoe
2008-01-06, 13:58
The Gaggia Syncrony Compact Digital (http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/compact_digital.cfm) can sometimes be had refurbished for cheap, and it's a super-automatic...Though lately I've been obsessed with my Bialetti Brikka (http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm) stove-top. As long as you buy quality whole bean and grind them properly, this thing produces really tasty shots.

autodata
2008-01-06, 14:25
You want the Starbucks Barista. The Silvia is best, followed by the Gaggia Classic and Barista, but the Barista is the cheapest of the three these days and you should be able to find it for <$350.

If you don't believe me and want to spend time doing more research: coffeegeek.com. You'll see that's the consensus, though.

FWIW, I have a Gaggia Classic modded with a Silvia steam wand and a Rocky grinder.

Robo
2008-01-06, 14:40
I could have gotten an open box Barista at my favorite Starbucks for like $90. I didn't have the money, though, and when I did it was gone. I've been kicking myself ever since. :(

But yeah, I like the Barista. But I'm not as much of a coffee snob as some, so maybe my opinion isn't worth much.

elvia
2008-01-06, 14:44
Good Coffee is what I live for. Most people send food back at restaurants, I also send coffee back if I don't like it. Having said that I have a Vetrano with a Macap burr grinder. It is a semi auto. I got it from Chris's coffee in New York city. It makes great coffee. (Cappuccino)
I'm not going to say what it cost though, its out of your budget. I did have the Starbucks machine before this one though. Its good for light use.

GladToBeHere
2008-01-06, 17:58
I think the best espresso is made on stove top italian espresso pots. They're cheap, quick, and won't break on you. Plus, they have more charm.