PDA

View Full Version : Linux install

naren
2004-12-02, 17:25
OK, this is a really bone headed question but I assume it just so basic no one ever mentions it. Here go's.....

I want to install linux on a PC, I have a .iso of the most recent Fedora, I need to burn this onto a DVD from my Mac, OK now the first dumb question: how is this done, I assume I need to mount the .iso then burn that onto the DVD, but I don't know what method to select, I have Toast 6.

Now on to the next dumb question, how do I boot a PC from the optical drive? I need to access Bios correct? I know Bios is something like Open Firmware on a Mac but beyond that I have no clue, F4 or delete while booting? I tried to get some PC friends to explain how to access Bios to me but I only left that conversation more confused. :err:

thanks....

Ryan
2004-12-02, 19:20
You can use Disk Utility to burn the DVD. Just drag the .iso into the left column, insert the DVD, select Finder, and click Burn.

naren
2004-12-02, 20:45
That worked, thanx. Now on to the install..........

Kickaha
2004-12-02, 20:53
I find it... well, somewhere between appalling and pathetic, that PCs still can't consistently and universally boot from a CD, it seems. I mean, what the hell? I had someone recently *CROW* over the fact that they got their laptop to boot off a USB drive... like it was a big thing, or something new. *sigh*

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-12-03, 11:41
I find it... well, somewhere between appalling and pathetic, that PCs still can't consistently and universally boot from a CD, it seems. I mean, what the hell? I had someone recently *CROW* over the fact that they got their laptop to boot off a USB drive... like it was a big thing, or something new. *sigh*

Well, I can't get my PowerBook to boot off a USB drive, only a firewire one, so I'd be psyched to see this work for me. ;) Not that I need it or anything since I have a firewire drive but still ...

As far as booting from CD-ROM, you just need to alter the BIOS to try and boot from CD before booting from the hard disk. It's just a setting change. Kinda like changing the startup disk in OS X preferences, but without all the GUI goodness.

Oh, and it's usually the delete key that will get you into the BIOS. If it's a different key (or key combination) it should be displayed at the bottom of the screen during the RAM test after a cold boot. By cold boot I mean boot by actually powering the machine on or hitting the reset key. The 3 finger salute might not display the BIOS key message.

NosferaDrew
2004-12-03, 12:32
Yeah, just restart the PC and hold the Delete key to boot to the BIOS.

Once you're in the BIOS, look for the page that allows you to change the order of the boot devices.
It usually says something like "First Boot Device". Just change that to the CD-ROM, Save and Exit, then the PC should restart itself.

thuh Freak
2004-12-03, 12:51
i much prefer the mac hdwr way. leaving a cd, even an OS cd, in the tray doesn't mean your booting off it. holding 'c' during boot does it. kind of like with floppies, back when those were all the rage. it was always annoying on pc hardware that you had to eject a floppy, even when it didn't have an OS on it, on a pc just to boot up. holding 'c', to me, was always better.