PDA

View Full Version : What species of animal or any living organism will apple pick for Mac OS XI?

Quagmire
2004-05-25, 20:34
With all this talk about Tiger being the last update to Mac OS X for a while, and that Mac OS XI maybe around the corner( 3-5 years). What species of animal or any living organism do you think apple will pick for Mac OS XI? I think apple amy be going with the dog species.

SKMDC
2004-05-25, 21:40
With all this talk about Tiger being the last update to Mac OS X for a while, and that Mac OS XI maybe around the corner( 3-5 years). What species of animal or any living organism do you think apple will pick for Mac OS XI? I think apple amy be going with the dog species.

ya mean like "wiener dog" or "shitzu" ?

i can just see the lines queuing up to by the new O/S, WIENER DOG by ð

psmith2.0
2004-05-25, 22:39
It'll be sea life. Everyone knows that, come on! :rolleyes:

OS 11 Squid.

Cool stuff like that.

;)

ThunderPoit
2004-05-25, 22:59
3-5 years? good god man, this isnt microsoft were talking about here :)

thegelding
2004-05-25, 23:57
sea mammals:

lets go through the progressions

XI.I- harbor seal
XI.2-walrus
XI.3-Otter
XI.4-Dolphin
XI.5-Humpback Whale

actually XII is where is gets interesting...that OS gets named after various parasitic life-forms in honor of the fact that microsoft will be stealing so many ideas from it

g

ZO
2004-05-26, 03:37
Breakfast Cereal...

Frosties (to bridge Tiger with Tony the Tiger... "They're Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!")
Trix
Capt'n Crunch (that'll be cool...)
Wheatabix
Meusli

netromac
2004-05-26, 04:41

i can just see the lines queuing up to by the new O/S, WIENER DOG by ðIt's called "Shih-Tzu" :mad:

http://netromac.fastmail.fm/pics/Valp2.gif

Mac os XI, the worlds cutest operating system!

SKMDC
2004-05-26, 06:13
It's called "Shih-Tzu"

bless you!

netromac
2004-05-26, 07:58
bless you!Thank you :D

othello
2004-05-26, 10:29
this is a really poor thread

ZO
2004-05-27, 03:56
If there is ANY reference, even as a super secret internal code name, to "Poodle" I swear I'll switch to Windows until Jobs himself slaughters the programmer and excuses himself personally.

What aweful creatures...

SKMDC
2004-05-27, 04:27
are poodles as bad as pugs? pugs are especially spazzy, prone to diseases and smell real bad.
but the worst are the owners, they send you pug greeting cards, have pug jewelry, pug this, pug that. oh yeah and a pug owner who writes an operating system would "cream himself (or herself)" to name it pug.

if apple named their OS "PUG".......well i just wouldn't be happy. ;)
but switch to microsoft? i doubt it.

Moogs
2004-05-27, 08:36
I don't think they'll name it after the canine family. There are only a few of big names you can use: wolf, coyote and fox... and of those only the fox variant would have positive connotations through and through. Naming a system after domesticated dogs of any type would seem way to pedestrian.

I don't know what's left after the big cats... bears maybe? Kodiak, Grizzly, Panda, Polar Bear....... Koala.

:D

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-27, 09:00
<breaks mould> How about non-organic things... erm...

Precious metals: Silver, Gold, Platinum... bah- too generic and used by the music industry anyway (I knew I wasn't being original)

erm...

Greek Mythology: (er... Troy ;) )
Roman Gods and Goddesses: Zeus etc
Planets: Saturn, Ur-anus *snigger*

erm...

This is quite difficult, actually. I wonder how/why they used Big-cat names and if they decide on all the names well in advance or just before each release.

psmith2.0
2004-05-27, 09:16
Well, don't forget snakes. Lots of cool words there: copperhead, viper, diamondback, mamba, cobra, python, etc.

And neat opportunities to do some cool stuff with the big "X" too.

Or they could just do what we all want and name it after Brady kids.

"Man, OS XI Peter SUX! I'm hoping Marcia is unveiled at WWDC next month!"

Moogs
2004-05-27, 09:51
I think the planetary theme is actually a pretty good one, as NASA is embarking on several missions over the next few years to do intra- and extra-solar planetary studies. They could do one planet and then the moons for each release cycle:

Since Cassini will be sending us planetary goodness for months to come the first logical choice seems to be

OS 11: Saturn
11.1: Titan
11.2: Hyperion (may be trademark issues on this one)
11.3: Atlas

OS 12: Jupiter
12.1: Io
12.2: Europa
12.3: Callisto

After 12 I doubt if they'll stick with numbered systems (if they get that far to begin with). Also think there will be more time between releases once we get to the point of OS 11. Once every 18 months or so I wager now that the core system is stable and in place.

thegelding
2004-05-27, 11:34
sharks? because they will eat up the competition?

make the transistion from cat to shark simple:

os 10.4 is tiger
os 11.0 is tiger shark

then hammerhead
mako
great white
etc

or i still like the parasite option

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:LeMn3C31AS0J:www.iwindow.com/awareness/parasite2.jpg

with cool names too: like

11.0 --code name Dracunculiasis or guinea worm (edited at the request of hungry people everywhere)

11.1--code name loa loa worm--eye worm

(edited at the request of people who are grossed out by close-ups of eyes with worms crawling through them)

i could go on, but people would hate me...even more than now

g

Moogs
2004-05-27, 11:36
I was about to eat lunch, you rat-bastard....

:mad: ;)

SKMDC
2004-05-27, 11:37
birds would be cool....

hawk, eagle, condor, phoenix, sparrow

thegelding
2004-05-27, 11:38
ha....

ahhhhh, i feel those reputations points melting away...

rightfully so, i might add

g

Moogs
2004-05-27, 16:38
How do those things work anyway? How many points per good comment and how many subtracted per bad? Either way, let's just say you're not only a rat-bastard for posting those nasty shots, but also a lucky rat-bastard that I'm in a forgiving mood.

:cool:

InactionMan
2004-05-27, 17:49
are poodles as bad as pugs? pugs are especially spazzy, prone to diseases and smell real bad.
but the worst are the owners, they send you pug greeting cards, have pug jewelry, pug this, pug that. oh yeah and a pug owner who writes an operating system would "cream himself (or herself)" to name it pug.

if apple named their OS "PUG".......well i just wouldn't be happy. ;)
but switch to microsoft? i doubt it.

You clearly haven't seen my profile picture. :p

Here is one vote for OS XI - Pug

Moogs
2004-05-27, 18:11
Pugs are a mystery to me, frankly. If you're going to get a runty dog with a smushy face, at least get a french bulldog or something that won't spit on you.

psmith2.0
2004-05-27, 19:13
gelding, you disgusting, meal-ruining motherfu...

;)

Somebody revoke his image-posting privileges.

Moogs
2004-05-27, 20:56
That's what I'm talkin about... meal-ruining disasters... that's what those photos are!

thegelding
2004-05-27, 21:51
call me the "diet man"...doing my part to keep the members of AI.org fit and trim...

g

being nice and making it a link instead of an image, though i know you are weak and will "Cleeeeeck it" (http://asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/dracun/dracun4.jpg)

SKMDC
2004-05-27, 22:26
You clearly haven't seen my profile picture. :p

Here is one vote for OS XI - Pug

i knew i'd ring a bell.

stevegong
2004-06-03, 09:41
We should have OS X Pussy :D

http://deckernet.com/shed/pets/jpeg/Pussycat.jpg

staph
2004-06-03, 09:47
Axolotls.

(http://www.caudata.org/axolotl/)

Well, it's got an "X" in it anywayÉ

staph
2004-06-03, 09:50
call me the "diet man"...doing my part to keep the members of AI.org fit and trim...

g

being nice and making it a link instead of an image, though i know you are weak and will "Cleeeeeck it" (http://asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/dracun/dracun4.jpg)

Ugh.

You're a bad man. Your understanding of human psychology is too good.

And you shouldn't be encouraging bulimia.

stevegong
2004-06-03, 10:02
Speaking of parasitic life forms, i remember flipping through a medical review in freshman year of high school, and I never quite recovered from seeing pictures of Echinococcus Granulosus.

it was a picture similar to these two, but the granules were in a human's heart and they had to squeeze it to pop them out. it gives me the chills even today.

warning: don't click on this if you're about to eat. but you may benefit from this if you happen to be on a diet.

http://www.univie.ac.at/parasitologie/images/E_-_Gran.jpg

http://www.micromacro.co.uk/science/html/parisitology/sc3007.htm

windowsblowsass
2004-06-11, 12:21

i can just see the lines queuing up to by the new O/S, WIENER DOG by ?
weiner dog that reminds me of a local isps ads showing a basset hound with a rocket strapped to its back with the word zippy on it (for "hi speed" acces)