PDA

View Full Version : MBP vs MB- Yet Another Thread

Capella
2008-02-04, 14:59
I know, this question comes up a lot. I also know that a general rule of thumb is "if you need to ask, you probably don't need a Pro". But I'm asking again anyways, because in my situation, I'm finding it difficult to choose.

The problem is that I have 2 different usage patterns. What I use it for while at college is different from what I would use it for outside of college, which makes the decision harder.

At school, I would:
-Mostly use it to take notes in class
-Occasionally do some mobile gaming in between class
-Use it as my main computer in my room, but do my GAMING on a Windows desktop

When not at school, I would:
-Generally be only in my room or my living room
-Have it as my only computer for both normal tasks and gaming

Originally I thought a MacBook would be sufficient, given that I mostly game on my desktop and the portable gaming idea is for between classes. If I have 2 and a half hours between classes, why not fire up Guild Wars for some of that time, right? For 1-2 hours, the integrated card is sufficient.

The thing is, I live in Florida, but go to college in NJ. If I'm going home for breaks (1 week for spring, 4 weeks for winter, 3 months for summer), I can't afford to ship home my desktop. It would only be economical for the summer, and it'd still be expensive to ship a tower and CRT from NJ to Florida and then back 2 to 2 1/2 months later. And if I'm going to be in a boring hometown with few diversions for weeks or months at a time, I want to game. In an extended period like that, the Pro seems better because the dedicated card would give me much higher performance. I don't know if I could stand 12+ hours a week of gaming on an integrated card.

So I'm torn. I hate the MacBook's integrated card, and I don't like the keyboard. OTOH, it's a cheaper machine, even with a RAM upgrade from a 3rd party. The MBP weighs slightly more and is bigger (15" model), but has a nicer keyboard and guaranteed good graphics. The smaller size might be better for classes, but the graphics will screw me for vacations. That's why I'm turning to you guys; in this situation, what would you do?

chucker
2008-02-04, 15:05
Get a MacBook and a cheapo PC, and you'll still be cheaper off than with a MacBook Pro.

PB PM
2008-02-04, 15:22
A cheapo PC wouldn't really be any better for gaming than the Macbook though, and its always nicer to have one machine rather than two.

Taskiss
2008-02-04, 15:22
Get a MacBook and a cheapo PC, and you'll still be cheaper off than with a MacBook Pro.I agree 100% and I own a MBP. The only reason I have one is because it saved my marriage - I'm not in my office all the time 'cause the MBP is a true desktop replacement.

Capella
2008-02-04, 15:32
Well, I already have one cheap PC here in NJ. I think chucker's implying pick up a second one to leave in Florida rather than have to ship the existing one (I assume- if I'm wrong, please let me know.) So I'd have to do the "multiple machines" thing anyways. Of course, I keep everything on an external drive and only a few things on each machine (i.e. homework stays on laptop, music is on external only, game files on Windows only), so I'm used to it.

Is the MacBook keyboard easier to use once you use it for a few weeks? Every time I use it in a store, I find it harder to type on than the PowerBook/MBP type keyboard. I make more typos and find the fingering weird. Is that something you get used to, or will it always be an issue?

chucker
2008-02-04, 15:33
A cheapo PC wouldn't really be any better for gaming than the Macbook though,

Yes, it would.

and its always nicer to have one machine rather than two.

Sure, but when you run your games in full screen, it's actually preferable to have another machine where you can chat with people & stuff.

PB PM
2008-02-04, 15:37
I guess so, not much of an online chatter so thats not an issue for me. I was in the same situation last year when I got my MBP, and chose to go the MBP route because I wanted one machine. Sure I could have kept my iBook for school stuff and got a desktop for gaming, but I like the ability to do it all on the go. I'm glad I went with the MBP vs having a low end notebook and a gaming tower.

chucker
2008-02-04, 15:45
Well, I already have one cheap PC here in NJ. I think chucker's implying pick up a second one to leave in Florida

Correct.

Is the MacBook keyboard easier to use once you use it for a few weeks? Every time I use it in a store, I find it harder to type on than the PowerBook/MBP type keyboard. I make more typos and find the fingering weird. Is that something you get used to, or will it always be an issue?

All feedback I've seen suggests so: the MacBook keyboard is quite a change from that of the iBook/PowerBook/MacBook Pro, but you do get used to it.

kieran
2008-02-04, 16:00
I was used to the standard keyboard and the keyboard on the iBook, but after a few days with the new MacBook style keyboard, it feels fine.

I actually kind of like it. I didn't like it at first, but I do like it now. It's not loud at all, which I like.

Capella
2008-02-04, 16:37
Another thought- besides the keyboard, there's also the glossy screen. There's someone right in front of me in this class right now with a MacBook, and there's soooo much reflection from the overhead lights. Is it as bad when you're in front of it as opposed to 2 seats back? How do the colors look when gaming?

Mugge
2008-02-04, 16:50
I agree 100% and I own a MBP. The only reason I have one is because it saved my marriage - I'm not in my office all the time 'cause the MBP is a true desktop replacement.

That's quite an endorsement.

:)

iFerret
2008-02-04, 21:48
Coming from a MacBook user who uses it daily in a variety of situations:

The keyboard's fine, but it does take getting used to. I also quite like mine.
The display is fine too. I've used it successfully in fluorescent lit classrooms and the like. The only place I give it a fail is in extremely sunny outside weather - the display is impossible to see except on full brightness (then it's just hard to see).

I do like my MacBook, it's good in every way.

rampancy
2008-02-05, 08:46
I was actually in the same situation as you - and I went for the low-end MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz), for the general reason being the dedicated graphics system, and the display. Later last year, my G3 iBook, which was my travelling companion (the MBP was my "desktop replacement") died - and I was compelled to get a replacement for it, so I got the low-end MacBook (2 Ghz, GMA 950).

My general thoughts (FWIW):

- I think that the level of performance in the MacBook has gotten to a point where the distinction between the consumer and pro-machines has really diminished for "average" users. I admit I don't do a lot of heavy graphics and processor-intensive stuff like I did before (man, that Core 2 Duo would have rocked when I was constructing phylogenies with bootstrap support calculations in PAUP*!) and the only really heavy stuff I use it for are games like Quake 4, Doom 3 and C&C3, and even then I don't have much time for gaming as I did before. So what I'm trying to say is that the MBP in retrospect is perhaps overkill for me now, and it might be overkill for you too.

- GMA 950 graphics isn't as dreadful as I suspected. With the requisite settings of course, I can play the Halo UB reasonably well. WarCraft 3, Quake 1-3 (and their derivatives), Diablo 2, and StarCraft all run well - as does a bevy of F/OSS games like WarZone 2100 Resurrection, Wolfenstein: ET, Nexuiz, Sauerbrauten, Urban Terror 4, World of Padman: SAC, and the Marathon Trilogy. Granted, these are older tech games, but that means that they're very laptop friendly (generally don't need a CD/DVD to play, lighter on resources, etc).

- I personally like the keyboard a lot, a lot more than the MBP's actually. It feels really crisp, and while you'll have some problems with mistyped keys, you get used to it quickly and you'll soon be typing at your usual level. A big plus to the new keyboards is that they feel like they're an order of magnitude easier to clean than older-style keyboards, like on my iBook.

- If you plan to do a lot of travelling, either locally or otherwise, I find the smaller form factor of the MacBook a lot more appealing; I can see now why so many people loved the 12" PB and iBook.

- The big plus for me of course is the hard drive. Personally, I don't mind giving up the ExpressCard slot for an easily expandable hard drive. It was amazing, seeing how easily you could swap it out for a larger unit. The only caveat are that some 2.5" drives (i.e. some WD drives) have their own motion sensor built-in and conflict with the MB's own motion sensor.

Personally, in the end, I'd recommend going with perhaps the mid-range MB, or alternately the low-end MB with some of the extra $$$ going into a hard drive and/or RAM upgrade (not from the Apple Store, of course! :) ). But that's from my own experience...as always, YMMV.