PDA

View Full Version : Not an ipod killer, but....

JamesG
2004-12-07, 18:09
It sure is sweet! My guess is that in another year or so these babies will have 12 hour battery life and at least triple it's current storage capabilities. Plus Oakley rules along side Apple when it comes to design. These things flat out rock!

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/?cm_re=V44*FeaturedImage*ThumpBubbaStewart

Wraven
2004-12-07, 18:12
JamesG,
I agree that Oakley's USUALLY rock but personally I think these are the ugliest sunglasses I have ever seen. Just MHO.

JamesG
2004-12-07, 18:36
JamesG,
I agree that Oakley's USUALLY rock but personally I think these are the ugliest sunglasses I have ever seen. Just MHO.

Maybe... but it's the idea that is awesome. These things are like the goggles Tom Cruise used at the beginning of MI2! Just think of the direction Oakley could take these puppies. I'm thinking personal computer in the lenses and cell phone integration! Shazaaam! I know it probably won't happen, but one can dream. I want convergence damn it! :D

ast3r3x
2004-12-07, 19:06
Ugly as sin.

I believe things will eventually move that direction. Oakley will not do it.

Mac+
2004-12-07, 19:36
The idea is novel, but the execution is bulky and Terminator like ... or maybe it was the photo of the tat guy that was giving me this impression. Either way ... yech. :no:

What cracks me up though is the flip up lenses. I can just see someone (at some stage) getting shards of the lenses crashing into their nose when they forget that their Oakley's had popped the lenses up and they bent close to something for a closer inspection. Ouch! :o

Barto
2004-12-08, 02:35
Wearable computers should be cold steel "resistance is futile", not ruby iMac.

scratt
2004-12-08, 02:54
There a bit of a laugh.
Probably get airplay on techie shows..
One day we will get all the other stuff.. GPS, mobile phone, screen in the lenses etc.. Whether Oakley will do this ot not remains to be seen. They are not exactly world leaders in technology, more likely they will be asked to perhaps design a special edition after the super geek original comes out!! :lol:

But not much more than a gimic at the moment IMHO.

They'll be in $1 stores in a few years!

EDIT: Looking at the ear pieces I bet they don't fit everyone either. People have different sized heads and I bet that the way they are moulded (even if they have some kind of adjustment) they just don't quite fit nice and snug like a pair of ear bud type phones.

Luca
2004-12-08, 03:15
http://oakley.com/media/brochures/sunglasses/thump/main/metzger.jpg

'nuff said.

DMBand0026
2004-12-08, 10:49
Seriously.

And I don't like the idea that I can only listen to my music when it's sunny out. :\

Not only that, but those things are wicked ugly. Where's the little smiley that's puking up a lung, cause I almost lost it on my PowerBook.

dfiler
2004-12-08, 11:40
Funny, back when battery powered radios were high tech, people thought it would be cool to put radios in glasses.

Quickly, people figured out suspending stuff in front of your ear isn't best accomplished by glasses. When the novelty wore off, head mounted ear pieces went back to their logical form, either suspended from the ear or the top of the head. Why involve the eyes and nose? ;)

But seriously, commercial products like this have existed for decades. They just aren't that useful.

JamesG
2004-12-08, 12:54
http://oakley.com/media/brochures/sunglasses/thump/main/metzger.jpg

'nuff said.

What the.... all right fine, y'all are not feelin' the vibe. How about this: check out the guy's choppers in the pic above. I spy a row of metal in his molars. How about an MP3 player/ cell phone embedded in fillings that sends sound via vibration to the cerebral cortex? You could work the controls with your tongue! :D

Luca
2004-12-08, 14:04
Haha!

They call flip-up lenses "adaptable optics."

Escher
2004-12-08, 15:22
These things are like the goggles Tom Cruise used at the beginning of MI2!

Sure, those were cool... And I love Tom Cruise's abs. :D

Just think of the direction Oakley could take these puppies. I'm thinking personal computer in the lenses and cell phone integration!

But what the hell do you do when you go inside and no longer need your cool shades?!? :no:

In the case of (sun-) glasses and MP3 players, I prefer separate devices that are fully functional and not partly crippeled.

Escher

Zodiac
2004-12-08, 18:22
That ridiculous design and idea nearly made me laugh..

operasinger34
2004-12-15, 02:07
How about an MP3 player/ cell phone embedded in fillings that sends sound via vibration to the cerebral cortex? You could work the controls with your tongue! :D

I saw a similair idea in a Popular Science a while back except it was part of a snorkle (as in scuba diving). The mouthpiece sent vibrations into your jaw bone and you could hear the music.

As if I need furthur stimlation when I'm scuba diving! :grumble:

Kickaha
2004-12-15, 02:13
Yeah, bone transduction speakers have been around for many years. Heck I remember one in the early 90s that you wore like a vest for skiing. I think it was called the BonePhone.