PDA

View Full Version : IBM sells PC business... what's next for Big Blue?

unixguru
2004-12-07, 23:54
It's happened. There is a press release at ibm.com, or you can go read the article at news.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com
.com

Maciej
2004-12-08, 00:24
Well I think we know what's going to happen to IBM's former PC division, it will be dwindled and their former high quality of product will be cut down to mere PC level equipment. Prior to this sale, IBM would be only laptop brand - PC based - that I would consider buying. Hopefully I see IBM moving to higher scale production and research of their CPUs but outside of that I can't offer any speculation.

This might better belong in the other thread too... admins?

Snoopy
2004-12-08, 11:50
The other thread seems to be hung up on an IBM buyout, or something equally as big. From the official news I think something else is very possible. IBM will be making money on servicing and financing these PCs, not building them. IBM could strike the same kind of deal with Apple. Sell the Macintosh to their business customers, and IBM provides all service and financing. Apple would give IBM a kickback on the sale price for providing all warranty service.

rickag
2004-12-09, 11:05
The other thread seems to be hung up on an IBM buyout, or something equally as big. From the official news I think something else is very possible. IBM will be making money on servicing and financing these PCs, not building them. IBM could strike the same kind of deal with Apple. Sell the Macintosh to their business customers, and IBM provides all service and financing. Apple would give IBM a kickback on the sale price for providing all warranty service.

Apparently not, I can't find the link, but a website is allegedly quoting from the terms of the buyout saying that IBM can not manufacture, sell or distribute desktop computers for 5 years from the date of this sale.

found the link

IBM buying Apple? No dice (http://news.com.com/IBM+buying+Apple+No+dice/2061-1003_3-5484184.html?tag=mac.nn)

Snoopy
2004-12-10, 01:06
Apparently not, I can't find the link, but a website is allegedly quoting from the terms of the buyout saying that IBM can not manufacture, sell or distribute desktop computers for 5 years from the date of this sale.

found the link

IBM buying Apple? No dice (http://news.com.com/IBM+buying+Apple+No+dice/2061-1003_3-5484184.html?tag=mac.nn)

I saw that too. I don't think it was in the first report I read, or I missed it. Still, if IBM and Apple are making plans to market Macs to IBM's business customers, five years is not all that long to get their business relationship in high gear. For example, Apple has a ways to go before offering a line of hardware that IBM's customers need and want. In the meantime, there may be nothing in the contract to stop IBM from offering service and financing for any customer who wants to buy Macs from Apple.

Considering IBM's 'Power Everywhere' campaign, I'm sure IBM wants to eventually see PPC desktops and laptops commonly used in business environments. Since IBM is out of this part of the hardware business, it makes good business sense to back the only serious PPC contender.

Luca
2004-12-10, 01:08
news.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com.com
Dead link.

Morpheus
2004-12-10, 03:47
Dead link.

Comedian alert!

Morpheus

rickag
2004-12-10, 10:00
I saw that too. I don't think it was in the first report I read, or I missed it. Still, if IBM and Apple are making plans to market Macs to IBM's business customers, five years is not all that long to get their business relationship in high gear. For example, Apple has a ways to go before offering a line of hardware that IBM's customers need and want. In the meantime, there may be nothing in the contract to stop IBM from offering service and financing for any customer who wants to buy Macs from Apple.

Considering IBM's 'Power Everywhere' campaign, I'm sure IBM wants to eventually see PPC desktops and laptops commonly used in business environments. Since IBM is out of this part of the hardware business, it makes good business sense to back the only serious PPC contender.

Yes, in five years maybe the door opens. But during the life of the current contract, this becomes a much more difficult sale. That said, at least there is opportunity now(enterprise growth w/ IBM partnering), where there was virtually none before.