PDA

View Full Version : Selling advice, not purchasing advice

torifile
2008-02-17, 22:28
My current computer situation is all upside down. My laptop is more powerful than my desktop and it's frequently hooked up to a 23" ACD. Not much of a laptop with all these connections, etc. And not very portable either...

I've got a 2.2 ghz MBP 15", 2 gig RAM, etc. LED, matte screen. 120 gig HD.
I've also got a 20" Core Duo iMac 2 ghz, 2 gig RAM 250 gig HD.
23" ACD.

Both the MBP and iMac have AppleCare. The iMac for another year, the MBP for 2.

I'm thinking of

A) selling all these and getting a newer iMac + MBA. Or,
B) I could just sell the iMac, make the MBP a desktop and get an MBA.

It seems most economical to go route A as I would probably not have to shell out much money at all. But that's a lot of change...

What would you do in my situation? Considering I don't need all that power on the road... TIA.

Capella
2008-02-17, 22:42
Route A makes the most sense. If you don't need the power on the road, the MBA is a good laptop benefit, and it seems illogical to possess the MBP as a desktop when you could probably break even on a new iMac with it.

Why not get a MacBook instead of the Air, though? How often are you on the road? Is the decreased weight worth the extra expense?

torifile
2008-02-17, 22:49
Route A makes the most sense. If you don't need the power on the road, the MBA is a good laptop benefit, and it seems illogical to possess the MBP as a desktop when you could probably break even on a new iMac with it.

Why not get a MacBook instead of the Air, though? How often are you on the road? Is the decreased weight worth the extra expense?
The trade off between my MBP and a Macbook wouldn't be worth it, but an MBA would be really nice to have if I've got to give up that horsepower. I'm basically mobile all the time. My computer never sits in my office and if I'm not seeing patients it's in my bag or at another desk either at home or some where else.

evan
2008-02-18, 00:47
any chance you could cut down on the peripherals and just go with the MBP as a sole computer? i don't know what you're needs are but strictly financially speaking it would make the most sense

washington mac user
2008-02-18, 01:45
any chance you could cut down on the peripherals and just go with the MBP as a sole computer? i don't know what you're needs are but strictly financially speaking it would make the most sense

I agree. The MBP is portable, and powerful enough to also be used as a desktop computer. The MacBook Air is only a little thinner and weighs a little less, but not nearly as powerful as the MBP and has around the same battery life. If you just want something to show off, go with the MBP. If you just want one computer to use, go with the MBP. Its a win-win situation. It has everything anybody would want in a computer: its better looking, and has better specs than the MBA. Just look at the MBA's keyboard with the aluminum. Yikes.

PB PM
2008-02-18, 01:49
Got to agree, stick with the MBP.

Mugge
2008-02-18, 02:18
I'd also suggest just keeping the MBP, but I suppose it depends on how much you carry your current MBP around.

torifile
2008-02-18, 07:43
I need 2 computers - the iMac is the family computer. THe MBP is my work computer.

PB PM
2008-02-18, 10:23
Okay, then just keep what you have... :) Its not like the machines you have are that much different. 200Mhz hardly makes your MBP a beast compared to the iMac after all.

torifile
2008-02-18, 12:22
Okay, then just keep what you have... :) Its not like the machines you have are that much different. 200Mhz hardly makes your MBP a beast compared to the iMac after all.
Way to be a party pooper! ;)

It just seems that I could consolidate my equipment into one more powerful machine and get a tote-around laptop like the MBA (or Macbook). Right now, my computing power is split nearly 50/50. I'd like it to be more like 70/30. I suppose I could sell them and upgrade to a 24" iMac and get an older Macbook... Hrm.

PB PM
2008-02-18, 12:43
So basically the reason you want to do this is to get the newest stuff, not because you really need to change your setup? ;)

torifile
2008-02-18, 12:55
So basically the reason you want to do this is to get the newest stuff, not because you really need to change your setup? ;)
:lol: Not really. That's obviously part of the reason - there's new equipment out there that's better suited to my needs - but as I said, it seems like a re-proportioning of my computing resources makes a little sense.

I thought I'd be ok hooking up my laptop when at home, but it's just a hassle. And I can't effectively do the work I do on the "desktop" on my 15" screen. So, getting a dedicated desktop (if only the Mac Pros weren't so expensive!) and a dedicated laptop seems to make some sense, especially since it won't cost me much*, if anything, to make that happen.

I guess an option I hadn't thought of is to sell my 23" ACD and my iMac and keep the MBP and get a 24" iMac. I figure this option would cost me a little $$ but not too much...

* I'm anticipating an MBP bump soon, dropping the value of my setup quite a bit - hence the reason for doing this sooner rather than later. But if I decide to part with the ACD and iMac, the urgency is taken away.

Wyatt
2008-02-18, 13:23
I guess an option I hadn't thought of is to sell my 23" ACD and my iMac and keep the MBP and get a 24" iMac. I figure this option would cost me a little $$ but not too much...

I think this is your best option.

torifile
2008-02-18, 13:31
I think this is your best option.
Yeah. I think you're right. No MBA for me because it's such a big trade-off... Next rev will be mine but it's not the right time for one right now.

Capella
2008-02-18, 17:04
Selling the ACD and the iMac sounds good. Or you're right, you could change the MBP for a MacBook- especially if you get a refurb MacBook, you'll probably come out ahead by a few hundred dollars. But if you want to keep at least one of your original machines, the MBP is the best one to keep.

apple007
2008-02-18, 20:40
I vote with 'fcgriz' on this one.

It just seems that I could consolidate my equipment into one more powerful machine and get a tote-around laptop like the MBA (or Macbook). ...

Ha ha ... You must be loaded if you consider the MBA a "tote-around laptop."

torifile
2008-02-18, 20:48
I vote with 'fcgriz' on this one.

No where close to loaded, but I take my computer everywhere with me so it's something I don't skimp on. Keep in mind that the money for the MBA is a "sunk" cost - I've already put it into an MBP and I'm just debating whether the pros of the MBA outweigh the cons at this point.

apple007
2008-02-19, 20:25

Yikes ... I got negative rep points for the above, which I thought was clearly a joke. (To me, calling something a "tote-around" is like calling it a "beater," which I doubt anyone has called the MBA (yet).) Seems like people are getting more thin-skinned by the minute around here.

No where close to loaded, but I take my computer everywhere with me so it's something I don't skimp on. Keep in mind that the money for the MBA is a "sunk" cost - I've already put it into an MBP and I'm just debating whether the pros of the MBA outweigh the cons at this point.

Understood, although the "sunk cost" analogy might not be 100% fitting under the circumstances. Anyway, if spending or saving a few hundred dollars in either direction isn't the overriding concern, have you thought about simply waiting for the next MBPs, or will the next MBPs cause such a big drop in used MBP pricing that the potential upgrade/swap/etc. would get too costly? (And when you say you "don't skimp" on your mobile CPU, do you mean strict specs?)

torifile
2008-02-19, 20:44
Understood, although the "sunk cost" analogy might not be 100% fitting under the circumstances. Anyway, if spending or saving a few hundred dollars in either direction isn't the overriding concern, have you thought about simply waiting for the next MBPs, or will the next MBPs cause such a big drop in used MBP pricing that the potential upgrade/swap/etc. would get too costly? (And when you say you "don't skimp" on your mobile CPU, do you mean strict specs?)
I think that the next upgrade will cost me at least a few hundred in resale value, to be honest. I don't want to risk that because then it wouldn't make financial sense to do it.

And when I said I don't "skimp", I mean that cost isn't really an issue within reason. I'm no spec whore, by any means. I want to get what'll suit me best given my needs.

digitalprimate
2008-02-19, 21:18
I've read the OP three times now and some of the replies and clarifications twice... I don't see a real problem that could warrant the hassle of selling and buying, to be honest.

EDIT: *Realizes that he's the party pooper now!*

torifile
2008-02-19, 21:24
I've read the OP three times now and some of the replies and clarifications twice... I don't see a real problem that could warrant the hassle of selling and buying, to be honest.

EDIT: *Realizes that he's the party pooper now!*
Who said there was a problem? My dilemma is not a "problem" in the least. :) I'm just looking to upgrade my iMac to a 24" to simplify my computing life just a bit more and I was wondering what the "best" way to do it would be.

sirnick4
2008-02-20, 00:56
Solution: Give me your iMac (for free.. duh!) and buy a new MBA.

I get what I want, and you get what you really want.

Sounds fair to me :p

torifile
2008-02-21, 19:42
Solution: Give me your iMac (for free.. duh!) and buy a new MBA.

I get what I want, and you get what you really want.

Sounds fair to me :p
That sounds brilliant! I'll even pay for shipping. Overnight, of course!!! ;)

Partial
2008-02-21, 22:32
Personally I don't think either is a very good option, but if I had to do one, I'd probably keep the more powerful of the two systems out of the MBP and the iMac (run some benchmarks) and sell the other.

sirnick4
2008-02-22, 00:02
That sounds brilliant! I'll even pay for shipping. Overnight, of course!!! ;)

Getting excited... :) :)

I'll be expecting it soon ;)

torifile
2008-02-28, 15:29
Ok, so I bought the MBA in anticipation of getting a good price on my MBP. Turns out, Apple's new release screwed my resale value (what I was afraid would happen)...

I sold the ACD and I'm going to sell my iMac and keep my MBP. I had to exchange the MBA I bought (stupid stupid stupid) for the 24" iMac, else I would have had to pay $170 in restocking. All in all, I didn't lose anything except I got spoiled by the MBA. Ah well. Live and learn. And now I've got a kickass new iMac. :D

I should have listened to your advice in the first place! :lol:

kieran
2008-02-28, 15:55
Damn, no more MBA for you then tori?

torifile
2008-02-28, 18:21
Damn, no more MBA for you then tori?
Unfortunately not. The recent MBP update made selling my computer to buy an MBA a losing proposition.