PDA

View Full Version : iPhone (revisited)

Messiahtosh
2004-12-09, 13:21
From http://www.t3.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=33309&subsectionid=753

Is it a flash-based iPod? Or is it the iPhone?

Apple appears to be up to something that involves flash memory. According to a report on Bloomberg it's done a deal with Toshiba's memory division, and Toshiba will start supplying Apple with flash memory from January onwards.

So what's the flash for? The most obvious explanation is the rumour that we reported on a couple of weeks ago, that Apple is planning to introduce a solid-state iPod. While Apple practically owns the hard drive-based sector of the personal digital audio market, there's still a large demand for cheaper flash-based players that Apple has yet to touch. A flash-based iPod would mean that Apple has an iPod for almost everyone.

However... Could Apple be working on the much-rumoured iPhone? It's a rumour that refuses to go away and it's just surfaced again courtesy of a chap called Tony Ricciardi who runs a site called TreoMac. A Macintosh consultant, he tells a story of a recent encounter with a Motorola employee who claimed that a prototype Apple-branded phone has been doing the rounds within Motorola, and that iTunes and iPhoto functionality would factor into it.

Apocryphal? Possibly. Exciting? Definitely, as long as it's taken with a small pinch of salt. One way or another we can expect to learn the truth come MacWorld.

I've been thinking about this too, considering the Apple/Motorola announcement earlier in the year; about the upcoming compatability with Mot phones next year.

Maybe Apple realizes that Phones are the next place to take music to. And if they are or arent, why not be there now, so that all bases are covered? That's probably what this is about, making sure they will end up where the market ends up.

I believe an iPod flash and an iPod phone could exist. One product for the low end, completing the iPod market. And the iPod phone for a new market, where phones and music devices merge, if people so desire it, why not offer it? In conjunction with MOT, sort of like the HP/Apple deal, it just might work.

torifile
2004-12-09, 13:29
An iPod phone? I dunno. It just doesn't seem like a logical extension to me. The iPod had always been about the music. Now it's got the photo thing, so I could be wrong. Personally, I still think the iPod photo is stupid. It muddies the waters a little. But since it is outside of Apple's MO, it shows they're listening to the market.

I suppose it's possible, esp. given the Mot. deal you mentioned. The timing would be right too, in terms of the announcement. We'll see...

psmith2.0
2004-12-09, 13:40
Personally, I still think the iPod photo is stupid. It muddies the waters a little.

Personally, I never looked at it that way at all. From the very first moment I saw it - when Jobs unveiled it at that Cupertino campus event - I thought "iPod...that's a pretty open-ended name...hmmm".

It's first, initial focus WAS music. But nowhere was it ever written that it was always going to be that. I think the iPod photo thing is great (I wanted it, imagined it and talked about it for at least two or so years). And Jobs' reasoning for it was dead-on: digital cameras are EVERYWHERE now, and it just makes sense. Think of the world business traveler, toting all his music AND all his family and friend photos with him, able to view them whenever. Plus, the TV-viewing option beats the hell out of a clunky, loud slide projector and setting up one of those screens (or thumbtacking a white sheet to a wall).

;)

There ain't anything wrong with the iPod photo. For those who don't need it, just don't buy it. But I'll bet within 18 months, the entire iPod line (the full-size white models) will be color and have this capability...it's only going to get MORE popular, the photo capabilities! I don't see digital cameras suddenly NOT selling...or getting better and cheaper, you know?

Apple timed it perfectly, IMO.

With its notes, address book and other Apple features, it's already so much more than "just a music player". And all those third-party software (and hardware) products have made it everything from a bartending guide to a voice note taker!

If it had been called the iRock, iSong or whatever, all these other things would seem odd to me, or somehow "breaking the original purpose and intent". But, to me, "iPod" just sounded like "oh, they've got more planned for this little guy, I'll bet...why, a 'pod' can be anything!"

:D

iPod is a great name, limiting it to NOTHING.

It might even give you a kiss in a couple of years. :p

Kickaha
2004-12-09, 13:42
iTMS ringtones, maybe?

BuonRotto
2004-12-09, 14:26
It would be amusing to see something like "the Motorola iPhone by Apple." :D

Gah, if you try to extrapolate what Apple could be doing by the flash memory info/rumor alone, the possibilities are almost endless. Neither iPod micro nor iPhone could be in the works, could be another animal altogether.

Still waiting for an iPet too....

TednDi
2004-12-09, 16:04
makes great sense to me. Moto now makes the smartphone with crappy windows software. If you could get an ives design, gsm phone, bluetooth, and the pda/ itunes/iphoto/ical/and addressbook all in one package and synching with decent battery life then you have a killer product. People switch phones every 2years or less that is a ton of devices all priced in the 200-800 range. You would then get a ton of switching bang for the buck and alot of mainstream adoption of the apple philosophy.

DMBand0026
2004-12-09, 17:03
A Moto/Apple phone would be wonderful. I've always liked Motorola's phones and getting the Apple touch would just make them that much better.

psmith2.0
2004-12-09, 17:13
How would this work, in terms of your service provider and so forth? Would everyone - Cingular, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc. - all work with this? I don't understand these deeper, inner workings of such things...I'm but a simple cave man. :p

But seriously, is your service ever - in any way - tied in to your phone? I currently have a little Samsung flip phone (x427) with a nice, perfect-for-my-needs Cingular plan. IF this phone came to be, would I be able to just buy this phone, have Cingular input the number or "register" it in some way, and continue on as before?

At first, this rumor/talk held no appeal for me. But hell...they do everything else so nicely, that the idea of it kinda has a nice ring to it (uh...heehee).

Bluetooth, e-mail access, some tunes, etc. all on something that I'm carrying with me all the time anyway...

I can dig it.

Ooh...question: would there be a way to make it "wireless", in that simply walking into a Wi-fi enabled coffee bar or city park, I could open it up and simply retrieve any e-mail, without having to dial out, have it charge minutes, have to pay for any extra e-mail/media service, etc.

Just a tiny AirPort card in there somewhere, with my .Mac e-mail settings entered via Bluetooth or whatever. Anytime I'm in a wireless hotspot...BAM! E-mail...

Take a phone, an AirPort Card, an iPod photo, Mail/.Mac and put it all into a blender, slap some Ive coolness on it, sell it for a price I can actually afford, etc. and I believe I'd be there.

applenut
2004-12-09, 17:22
pscates,

I get confused too but I think they all use different formats. Well, its either CDMA or GSM. I think you can switch services between companies that support the format of your phone. So, Verizon and Sprint use CDMA and you can switch between them I believe but not T-Mobile who uses GSM.

At least that's my understanding.

I think a cell phone would be a bad idea. Doesn't seem like a market they could take over or even make good money out of. People get new phones when they can get them for cheap or free with a service plan it seems

Messiahtosh
2004-12-09, 17:59
It would not be Apple taking over the market of cell phones, it would be Apple & Motorola. With Motorola as their backer, they'd slide into the market really easily.

psmith2.0
2004-12-09, 18:04
Yeah, just a partnership...with Motorola handling the heavy-lifting of the phone/communications end, while Apple provided the software, interface, goodies and outward design and vibe.

An Apple shell, wrapped around a Motorola core, if you will.

:p

And seriously...like digital cameras, cell phones are only getting more popular and widespread (the mere fact that I have one speaks volumes...trust me).

I'm not saying I think it'll be done, or that I'm even holding my breath or seriously desiring one. I'm just saying it could be done, and probably done pretty well, considering the two players involved. That's all.

I will go on record to say I don't think this rumor/talk amounts to much, however. Just something kinda neat to think about on a rainy day...

SKMDC
2004-12-09, 18:08
Edgar Bronfman (general bonehead, and new chairman of warner) says as much.
read about it here (http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2004/12/07/mobile_phones_t.php)
Just remember that this is a guy who fucks up everything he touches.
King of mediocrity.

futuretheory
2004-12-09, 18:52
Not saying that a phone is where apple should be, but have you noticed that every phone out there really sucks? I'd love to see an Apple take. Maybe this is that Flash storage iPod we keep hearing about, only it's in a phone.

I can see the marketing now like the iMac, new motorola iPhone from the designers of the iPod.....

Jim S.
2004-12-09, 18:58
The $99 flash-based iPod to rake in the low-end market makes a lot of sense and seems likely. If Apple wanted to do a high-end phone, why would it use flash instead of a small hard drive? If it is intended to be a music player, PDA, photo viewer, etc. I would think it would need more storage space.

Messiahtosh
2004-12-09, 20:22
Well, hard drives are more likely to break in a drop, and lord knows the phones take a lot of nasty falls...in comparisson to my iPod anyway. I'm never worried when my phone drops though, it's pretty indestructable.

Anyway, like I said before too, Apple could do both at once. A low end flash-based iPod and the completely different market-iPod phone.

torifile
2004-12-09, 20:31
The $99 flash-based iPod to rake in the low-end market makes a lot of sense and seems likely. If Apple wanted to do a high-end phone, why would it use flash instead of a small hard drive? If it is intended to be a music player, PDA, photo viewer, etc. I would think it would need more storage space.
Flash is more sensible because it is MUCH smaller, more durable and provides better battery life. I don't necessarily buy it (the rumor, that is) but it does make a little sense.

Frank777
2004-12-10, 03:30
...sell it for a price I can actually afford...

You set your hopes way too high. This is still Apple we're talking about. :\

Mac+
2004-12-10, 04:03
Well if this Apple/Mot iPod/phone rumour does eventuate into reality it will be enough to seriously tempt me to finally join the mobile (cellular) phone brigade.

... maybe Luca too? ;)

scratt
2004-12-10, 04:18
When compared to Nokia and Sony the Motorola offerings to date have pretty much sucked as phones in terms of usability.

I moved from Motorola to Nokia as I found it's user interface and general strategy with it's UIs to be almost Applesque in terms of usability.

Motorola really needs a lift IMO in terms of it's phones.

I am not sure I believe this rumour. I mean if Motorola was bank rolling this in terms of the phone market and Apple is producing the UI wouldn't it be Motorola who were buying into the Flash technology and not Apple?

Perhaps Apple is buying into it for the solid state iPod and this in turn will enable them to port their UI to motorola phones... Does anyone know if motorola are buying into the same technology? Now that would be interesting...

If it is true it's great.
But if not I am still sure we will see something along the solid state iPod lines shortly...

I Thrash Therefore I Am
2004-12-10, 05:23
Actually, I used to think motorola had good designs but I agree the user interface was all wrong. This changed when a family member got the new (well not so new now) V600. Its beautiful. The screen is perfect, it has a speakerphone, the picture quality is seamless even when transferred to a computer (it actually SENT the photo at about 5"x5"), and it gets amazing reception and battery life. Of course their new smart phone (running windows, no wonder) just got pulled off shelves to be revised.

I like the new A630 as well, considering it has the flip open big screen and qwerty board.

I think an apple/motorola phone would be perfect. Plain and simple. Beautiful design, all in one capability(to an extent), great reception, amazing camera, synching with iCal and iLife. iTunesMS could even offer downloadable ringtones, screensavers, and java games. But of course by that time I'd hope the thing would atleast be able to have mp3 ringtones. I also hope it would be a flip or slider phone (or something like motos A630), or atleast something like it. I think the only real competition motorola has is sony ericsson, or higher end nokias (most of which never get released in the US). Actually, that pretty much goes with apple and sony laptops too.

My NEC 525 phone is still more expensive than most phones and its crap. The camera can't even take a reasonably good picture. At all. And since I'm now devoid of a digi cam, that camera has to last me a while. The phone also stalls a lot too, doesn't get that great of reception, is big, never tells me when I have a new voicemail, and messes up when I'm making calls a lot. </bitching and moaning>

I say if this does happen, it'll run at first about $300-400, considering thats what most high-end motorola's run at when just released. Then of course a few months later it'll be ~ $100 with a new plan.

When compared to Nokia and Sony the Motorola offerings to date have pretty much sucked as phones in terms of usability.

I moved from Motorola to Nokia as I found it's user interface and general strategy with it's UIs to be almost Applesque in terms of usability.

Motorola really needs a lift IMO in terms of it's phones.

I am not sure I believe this rumour. I mean if Motorola was bank rolling this in terms of the phone market and Apple is producing the UI wouldn't it be Motorola who were buying into the Flash technology and not Apple?

Perhaps Apple is buying into it for the solid state iPod and this in turn will enable them to port their UI to motorola phones... Does anyone know if motorola are buying into the same technology? Now that would be interesting...

If it is true it's great.
But if not I am still sure we will see something along the solid state iPod lines shortly...

Brad
2004-12-10, 05:40
The $99 flash-based iPod to rake in the low-end market makes a lot of sense and seems likely.
But when has Apple ever gone for the low-end market? Apple lives for profit margins, not gross revenue. An appeal like this to the low-end market would signify a major change in Apple's structure. I don't think it's there yet or will be any time soon.
Flash is more sensible because it is MUCH smaller
Are you sure? I thought the iPod's microdrive was essentially the same size as one of those little square flash cards...

http://www.ipoding.com/albums/album09/mini_disect_pieces.sized.jpg

Jim S.
2004-12-10, 06:41
Brad, you may enjoy this old interview with Steve Jobs. Please note his comments on Apple's market share in Part II. I think that he wants to own the digital music business and he understands the low-end is important.

http://www.geocities.com/franktau/interviewpart1.html

Jim S.
2004-12-10, 06:46
Impractical to put a hard drive in a phone?

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20040907_0000069353

Brad
2004-12-10, 07:48
http://www.geocities.com/franktau/interviewpart1.html

Yikes. I don't have time to read all of that. Quick summary? :)

One BIG dose of irony for you, though: that interview was done while Steve Jobs was running NeXT. NeXT made some of the world's most expensive personal computers. And you say somewhere in there he's talking about wanting to appeal to low-end customers? Heheh.

HOM
2004-12-10, 11:40
Ahhhh, a thread I can get into.

First to clear up some stuff...

If the iPhone were to be released it would have to be a GSM phone. Being GSM would allow for maximum interoperability between carriers. In the US it would have to support the 850 & 1900 MHz bands while supporting the 900 & 1800 bands in the RoW. Now, which major mobile phone manufacturer is the only one that has moved almost exclusively to quad-band phones? That's right, Moto.

That being said, if you have an American GSM provider (Cingular/ATTW or T-Mobile) and the iPhone supports 850 (Cingular) and 1900 (T-Mobile) and assuming the iPhone is SIM unlocked you could use it with your existing account.

Second there are some major issues with an iPhone concept...

Namely, ringtones. If the iPhone supports iTMS songs as ringtones and syncs with iTunes as wells as an iPod does, no carrier is going to carry the phone. Ringtones are where the profits come from for these companies and they just don't want a device that is easier to get ringtones from a third party. They accept phones that transfer files via BT, IR, or USB but only because the amount of people that can actually use their phones for that is slim. iTunes integration = no carrier support. Which is not the end of the world, but it means that the iPhone is going to be ungodly expensive when if comes out.

Would it be a clamshell or candybar style phone? It seams that it could be an easy enough question, but there are major regional differences between style. America/Asia loves clamshells while Europe loves candybars. It's weird and it's a cultural thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

Similarly, will it be a dumb phone or a smart phone? A dumb phone would likely have the broadest market appeal, but it would turn off the hard core geeks that would make up the largest buying segment, at least initially.

Feh, I've spent the last 3 weeks trying to find the 'perfect' phone. It doesn't exist and and I doubt Apple could do it either.

ashon3611
2004-12-10, 14:49
what phone company wouldnt jump at the opportunity to support an iPhone? While the phone carrier might not make money off of downloading ringtones, it would make that up and more with the users using its on-line options using AIM and using video msging on the phone(iChat mobile?). A carrier could charge 10 bucks more month for this... Thats $120 more a year for the phone company. And over a year i wouldnt think the a typical cell phone user would download 40 ringtones.

Having a plug for headphone when your working out and possible having it beable to connect to an ipod to recieve songs from when your not at your computer would be awesome.

BuonRotto
2004-12-10, 15:07
What if you could download iTMS songs via their WAP browser -- the iTunes on Moto deal, somehow splitting what little profits there might be? Hm, kinda gets all tangled up, doesn't it?

TednDi
2004-12-10, 15:21
Why can't apple sell an unlocked gsm phone through the apple store and 3rd party distribution channels? The phone would work with all US gsm carriers and most of Europe. All the profits go to apple. A carrier will make more money on the data plan than they would with the ringtone. Considering that you would have to use a hefty data plan to download the tones and other ancillary data such as e-mail and ical updates, etc. Also, apple could give each carrier a piece of the itunes ringtone royalty like they do to the lablels and the artists now.

Makes sense to me. And would propel apple in the east asian markets and the european markets where cell phones are more of a cultural thing than in the US.

I would own both an ipod for all of my music and an iphone for the smart features, and the integration with ilife and some music to carry around.

If I were Steve. I would nip this napster ringtone thing in the bud with itms integration.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/macmedia/napster-dwango-mobile-ringtones-38866.html

Jim S.
2004-12-11, 10:36
Here's a theory:

1. Apple ports iPhoto to Windows to support sales of iPod Photo and iPhone.
2. Apple's "digital hub" now includes wired and wireless phones.
3. iLife 2005 intros a new iApp similar to PhoneValet to manage calls.

http://www.parliant.com/

4. iSync keeps everything coordinated.
5. iPhone's white headphones includes a third wire which contains a small microphone with a clip that you can attach to your shirt or blouse.

Let's say you're walking around listening to music... suddenly the music fades away and the your phone says that "Bob Smith" is calling. You say "answer" and the phone connects you and you start talking with Bob Smith.

Ringtones would only be needed when you are not listening to music. Voice technology would make the device easy to use.

Just a thought...

Messiahtosh
2004-12-11, 10:39
I would much prefer a device like that, compared to using multiple devices, that are so closely ralated in size and technology...even function.

torifile
2004-12-12, 07:49
I would much prefer a device like that, compared to using multiple devices, that are so closely ralated in size and technology...even function.
The thing is, they are NOT close in function. Whatever. Logic seems to just go out the window when it comes to the masses sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this but I'd be disheartened at the messiness of it. But if anyone can pull it off well, it's Apple.

Messiahtosh
2004-12-12, 16:29
As in function, I mean a small, pocket-sized device that is only used when you want to or when someone else wants you to. Technology-wise, the innards are not terribly different. Making an iPod into a phone would not be hard.

Hassan i Sabbah
2004-12-13, 15:31
Motorola telephones are appalling. I've just got a brand new 3G phone, the E1000, and it's really, truly shocking. The phone was cheap and the tariff is cheap. I'lll never use it to make a video call because no-one else I know has a video phone.

I imagine if there is to be an iPhone it'll be made with the people who actually made the real iPhone, the mythical 'hypothetical' iPhone that actually exists/existed: the Scandinavian communications company that isn't Nokia. Their telephones actually have some kind of correspondence with Apple's design / UI ethos.

You can't make a call while my Motorola's charging. It's awful, terrible.

rasmits
2004-12-13, 20:39
That E1000 has some very amazing specs...

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,43,00.html

Europe is years ahead.

Hassan i Sabbah
2004-12-14, 08:39
Specifications be damned: any telephone that you can't use while its on charge is a bad telephone.

3G is an utter waste of time as far as I can make out. You need your phone to make calls with, and it's better if it's smaller. End of story. 3G services are basically porn and watching football goals. Getting directions is cool but you can do that on any wap-enabled 2G phone.

It's like having a Newfoundland puppy in your pocket, this beast.

BuonRotto
2004-12-14, 09:20
The lack of interest in whiz-bang cell phone features like video, cameras, ringtones and other novelties is typical of US customers too. Here's an article from the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/13/technology/13cell.html) (user: appleinsider, password: appleinsider) about how these companies depend a lot on the bells and whistles to generate revenue, but customers are mainly just interested in better coverage, reception and smaller, thinner phones. Ironically perhaps, the phone that they show in the article that caters to this basic use customer is a Moto Razr (which really isn't that thin, just looks it when open).

DMBand0026
2004-12-14, 13:53
Ironically perhaps, the phone that they show in the article that caters to this basic use customer is a Moto Razr (which really isn't that thin, just looks it when open).

The razar isn't a wonderful phone in all honesty, I took a look at one last night when the girlfriend was looking for a new phone. It's somewhat thin, thinner looking when it's open, but it's fat. Fat in that it's really wide, wider than the average phone and something about holding it struck me as very...odd. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but it felt really uncomfortable.

The phone is very cool looking, feature packed, and I'm sure a great phone. But I could never justify spending $500 US on a cell phone.

Hassan i Sabbah
2004-12-14, 17:12
I've got two phones: a Sony Ericsson K700i, which I have no SIM card or contract for, and this Motorola E1000. The Ericsson is absolutely beautiful. I always knew that SE phones were nice to use but it wasn't until I got my new phone that I realised quite how good SE phones actually are. Intuitive, nice graphics, sensible themes, refined button pushing to get what you want. Just elegant and right.

I need a phone to talk to people on. Even if I knew people with video phones I wouldn't necessarily want to see them.

edit: i just tried making a video call right this minute. it didn't even work. Hell's bells, 3G is lame.

Moogs
2004-12-14, 18:07
I want a Motorola Razor phone from Cingular... and the chick that comes with it... but really, I just popped in here to say hello to Hassan. What's up brotha-man? Long time no see.... :)

HOM
2004-12-14, 18:27
http://www.clubsonyericsson.com/products/v800/v800_title.jpg

If Apple slapped a sticker on this called it an iPhone I would drop $600 on it in a heartbeat.

Fucking Vodafone!

Milkman
2004-12-14, 22:28
If Apple slapped a sticker on this called it an iPhone I would drop $600 on it in a heartbeat.

Fucking Vodafone!
I've been torn about Apple making a cell phone for this very reason. I know if they do make one it (more than likely) won't be cheap. I couldn't see myself spending $600 on a cell phone. Of course, I used to say that about an mp3 player then the damn iPod Photo came out!http://forums.applenova.com/images/smilies/devil.gif

I have never owned a cell phone that retails more than $100 as I abuse the living shit out of my phones. And also, I want my phone to do two things, make and receive calls. I could care less about the other features so I would be waiting for the iPhone light. But it would be nice to have Apple's ease-of-use on a phone as most UI's on cell's are horrendous.

Hassan i Sabbah
2004-12-15, 13:00
Moogs! Long time no see. Nice to be in the same thread son. I'm very well and steeling myself for Christmas.

And my phone's charging like a proper phone now. Although the UI was still designed by a colourblind sociopath.

Bubbles
2004-12-15, 18:25
hmm and iPhone would be cool, I'm sure it would have great features and look really great too, but you're right I bet it would be expensive. I guess it would be something for people who are serious about their cell phones! It would be cool though to have it so it syncs with your mac, so you can import your address book right to it. Sure beats typing it all in.

BuonRotto
2004-12-16, 15:08
Well, if this (http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2004/12/16/cx_ah_1216aapl.html) doesn't whet your appetite, nothing will!

from MacMinute (http://www.macminute.com/2004/12/16/motorola/)
Apple and Motorola could soon introduce the mobile phone the two companies are developing to play music purchased from Apple's iTunes Music Store. "We've said we have something coming on this in the first half of 2005 and we're definitely on schedule for that. Hopefully you'll be able to see more about it soon," Eddy Cue, vice president of applications at Apple, told Forbes. "What we've talked about is a something that is valuable for the mass market. It has to be a phone in the middle-tier of the market, not a $500-tier phone. It has to be very seamless to use. And we're very happy with the results." Cue declined to say whether Apple CEO Steve Jobs would show the phone at next month's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Interesting to me that it sounds like they're designing a whole phone around this iTMS thing. I wonder how much of its design will be influenced by Apple, and which carriers will offer it.

psmith2.0
2004-12-16, 15:15
I just saw that too. Very interesting. I hope Cingular can use it (or the other way around, rather).

$5 says this is the "one more thing..." at MWSF. :)

HOM
2004-12-16, 15:19
FUCKING SHIT OMG!!!!

Did I just read that correctly?

Did Apple just *CONFIRM* that they are working on a co-branded sub $500 cell phone? It's going to be released in the first half of 2005?

http://webpages.charter.net/samurai-ko_kitty/images/tshirt_designs/OMG.gif

I think my head is about to explode.

EDIT:

On second thought, it's cool, but I wish it weren't with Moto. For the past year or so they have had some serious quality control issues. On numerous occasions phones have had to be recalled because of bugs.

psmith2.0
2004-12-16, 15:24
If God doesn't strike you down first for such gratuitous blasphemy. :) Don't stand next to me...I hear thunder.

TednDi
2004-12-16, 16:25
Please be GSM and UNLOCKED!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssseeeee!

wow

torifile
2004-12-16, 16:47
Please be GSM and UNLOCKED!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssseeeee!

wow
I'd guess that it'll be GSM but NOT unlocked. You could probably buy one without activation but you'll have to pay an extra $200 or so to get it. Just my 2˘.

That said, I hope it's affordable because my current verizon contract is running out in Feb and I'd love to dump them for a carrier that has phones from the 21st century. :rolleyes:

TednDi
2004-12-16, 17:10
Unlocked is primo so as to allow business travelers like myself the option of using a gsm card from another overseas carrier.

and I wouldn't mind paying the extra 200 bux to do so.

Barto
2004-12-16, 23:30
I paid ~USD230 for an LG8120. 32MB memory, unlocked, GSM & UTMS, video/still VGA camera, MP3 player et-cetera et-cetera. Only bad thing is Windows-only connectivity, grrr.

I would never buy something just because it had an Apple logo, and an iPhone would have to be one special motherfucker of a phone to even consider paying ~USD500 for it.

johnq
2004-12-17, 00:34
Sorry if this is mentioned before, but I would like a simple iPod with phone built in, not the other way around.

I'm picturing it being just an iPod, with a speaker vent and mic hole and Jabra-fied earbud mics. You can use it with or without earbuds.

Dial new numbers by horizontal menu (rotary input ironically):

Quick mockup:

http://www.nullface.com/ai/podphone.jpg

scratt
2004-12-17, 00:34
I love the mock up? on this page...

linky (http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008182.html)

It's about a year since I got my last phone (Nokia 6600).. I am so glad that is such a good phone as this will have to last me until the iPhone comes out!!

I am so excited!!! Wheeeeee :D :smokey:

SilentEchoes
2004-12-17, 02:30
I wonder just how far Apple would go with this iPhone thing, even if its just iTMS enabled cell phones, Remember Apple partnered up with Ericsson and Sun to create "Standards-Based Wireless Content Solutions" in 2002. To push quicktime in the cell phone arena.

If they already have their foot in the door with Ericsson, I wonder if maybe they are talking to them about bringing iTMS over to Ericsson too.

Gargoyle
2004-12-17, 08:16
As slashdot is reporting today (prolly same as macMinute article), a small quote from the article says that the phone will not be competing with the iPod.

So, although your mockups are really nice, i doubt we'll see something like that announced at San Francisco in January.

Messiahtosh
2004-12-17, 11:32
I'm sure it will basically be an iPod mini built into a phone.

thegelding
2004-12-17, 11:42
looks like it is gonna actually happen

forbes (http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/12/16/cx_ah_1216aapl.html)

g

BuonRotto
2004-12-17, 11:51
No, I don't think it's a mini. It's mainly a Moto phone, maybe with some Apple design input, with an iTunes client software built in. Jobs refers to the "thing" (the iTunes jr. app? the phone?) as an iPod accessory, not an iPod. It's something that is meant to keep a dozen or a few dozen songs, nothing near the storage of a full-on iPod.

It's all very ambiguous where the design scope is though, so who knows?

rickag
2004-12-17, 12:09
No, I don't think it's a mini. It's mainly a Moto phone, maybe with some Apple design input, with an iTunes client software built in. Jobs refers to the "thing" (the iTunes jr. app? the phone?) as an iPod accessory, not an iPod. It's something that is meant to keep a dozen or a few dozen songs, nothing near the storage of a full-on iPod.

It's all very ambiguous where the design scope is though, so who knows?

Well, it has been sorta leaked that Apple is buying flash memory, hmm, just pondering how many songs a 1 GB flash chip will hold? Some one at work just purchased 1 GB flash memory for $49 after rebate. :)

Messiahtosh
2004-12-17, 17:44
I bet you it will be built around a micro hard drive though. Say a 4 GB one. ;)

TednDi
2004-12-17, 18:36
From MacMinute:
December 17, 2004 - 16:52 EST** Apple is suing unnamed individuals who leaked details about an unannounced product by posting detailed information on the Web. Apple's complaint, which was filed with the Santa Clara County California Superior Court on Dec. 13, alleges that "an unidentified individual, acting alone or in concert with others, has recently misappropriated and disseminated through Web sites confidential information about an unreleased Apple product." Apple said it did not know the "true names or capacities, whether individual, associate, corporate or otherwise," of the defendants. Once they have been discovered, the company said it would amend the complaint. "To succeed, Apple must develop innovative products and bring those products to market in advance of its competitors," the company said. "If Apple competitors were aware of Apple's future production information, those competitors could benefit economically from that knowledge by directing their product development or marketing to frustrate Apple's plans."

I wonder if this is in connection to the flash story or the iphone story?

Heads up admins.....

rasmits
2004-12-17, 18:39
I bet it'll be a motorola phone, like all the others, with a simple mobile version of iTunes built in. It might just be included in all motorola UIs from now on, like Real Player in some of those samsungs.

Apple will have little if not nothing to do with the design of the phone.

Messiahtosh
2004-12-18, 03:33
I bet it'll be a motorola phone, like all the others, with a simple mobile version of iTunes built it. It might just be included in all motorola UIs from now on, like Real Player in some of those samsungs.

Apple will have little if not nothing to do with the design of the phone.You know why I doubt that? Apple wont be involved with an ugly piece of hardware, even if they are the service enhancer. It'd be bad for their image. I bet they (by "they" I mean Steve Jobs) at least made sure the phone looks reasonably nice.

DMBand0026
2004-12-18, 12:59
[snip]
I wonder if this is in connection to the flash story or the iphone story?

Heads up admins.....

Most likely it's the flash iPod, but we can't be sure probably until January and we see what neat stuff Steve and Co. have for us.

Only time will tell.

BuonRotto
2004-12-18, 16:21
Apple will have little if not nothing to do with the design of the phone.

Yeah, in all likelihood, that's what's going to happen. But dammit, it's just so much fun to ignore all better judgment! :D

fubar
2004-12-19, 06:09
Well have to wait n see in a few weeks.

scratt
2004-12-21, 11:00
Has anyone tried this link.....

http://www.iphone.org

Wierd huh?
Wonder if they are trying to buy iPhone.com from that IP internet phone company???

I am off to register some more ixxxxxx web sites! :D

scratt
2004-12-21, 11:07
I can throw a little more gas onto the Apple phone rumors. I was on a train this weekend, watching an episode of the Simpsons on my Treo600. The gentleman sitting across from me asked me how I liked the phone. I told him I loved it and we began a tech conversation. He mentioned that he worked for Motorola. I told him I was a Macintosh consultant, and then he dropped the bomb! "I've got a scoop for you", he teased.

Apparently some of his associates had been telling him earlier in the week about an Apple branded phone that had been circulating around the office at Motorola. The phone had Motorola components, but most certainly had Apple brandings on it. He said that he did not have a chance to handle the phone, but that his direct supervisor did. The phone was "sleek and sexy" in her words. He mentioned that there was talk amongst the people who had seen it that itunes and iphoto would factor into this device somehow. They also said that the phone had a slot on the top (media slot?) as well as what looked to be a usb 2.0 port on the bottom.

All very interesting. He gave me his card, so I'll be sure to press him for more details in the coming weeks.

Stay Tuned!

Also, from another source:

It's basically the successor to the Motorola E398 [phonescoop.com], but with iTunes, and extensive Apple influence and iPod integration. I haven't seen it yet, but my info is direct from Moto top people.

The current Motorola E398 was a tri-band GSM bar form factor phone, with a large screen, TransFlash slot, Bluetooth, camera, media player, speakerphone, and FM tuner. And since this offering is GSM, and Steve Jobs has twice trotted out Cingular CEO Stephen Carter at Macworld keynotes, and given other carriers' resistance to the idea of iTunes on a phone (for reasons of either not wanting to provide bandwidth for such a service at a reasonable cost, OR being opposed to having full computer/device connectivity via Bluetooth bypassing their networks), it would appear that Cingular/AT&T might be a good candidate to carry such a device.

Wheeeeeeee :smokey:

HOM
2004-12-21, 11:09
Has anyone tried this link.....

Wierd huh?
Wonder if they are trying to buy iPhone.com from that IP internet phone company???

I am off to register some more ixxxxxx web sites! :D

OMG!!!111ONE!!!222!!!!

Apple has owned iphone.org for years. Every year right about time for a Stevenote the link seems to find a way out.

BUT.... what about Mammals.org (http://mammals.org/)?

scratt
2004-12-21, 11:15
OMG!!!111ONE!!!222!!!!

Apple has owned iphone.org for years. Every year right about time for a Stevenote the link seems to find a way out.

BUT.... what about Mammals.org (http://mammals.org/)?

Didn't know that. Thanks!! :o :| :)

But you are right mammals.org is a wierd one!
Do you reckon Steve has been using the company credit card for some domain name speculation? ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-12-21, 14:21
I have a quicktime video of Jobs talking about the motorola phone deal, I'll put it on my .mac here in a second...

Messiahtosh
2004-12-21, 14:28
http://homepage.mac.com/rcpm/iMovieTheater6.html

operasinger34
2004-12-21, 16:17
the many faces of apple.com

http://www.apple.com
http://www.mammals.org
http://www.ikids.com
http://www.ischool.com
http://www.next.com
http://www.ripmixburn.com
http://www.macmate.com
http://www.ipod.com*
http://www.newton.com
http://www.imac.com
http://www.appleimac.com
http://www.eworld.com
http://www.itunes.com*
http://www.applemusic.com*
http://www.applecomputer.com
http://www.quicktime.com*
http://www.firewire.com*
http://www.clarisworks.com*
http://www.digitalhub.com
http://www.ichat.com*
http://www.xserve.com
http://www.powerbook.com*
http://www.finalcutpro.com*
http://www.dvdstudiopro.com
http://www.applescript.com*
http://www.mac.com*

That's right- they all work!
*doesn't redirect to the apple.com frontpage, but a product specific page on the apple site.

from a post at macrumors.com

thegeek
2004-12-21, 22:05
http://www.ipodrocks.com

FFL
2004-12-22, 02:00
Hmmm....

http://www.shampoopoo.com/pictures/iphone.jpg

Unbeliever
2004-12-22, 20:12
old, old and OLD :D

Maciej
2004-12-22, 21:04
... www.mammals.org??

scratt
2004-12-22, 21:40
Hmmm....

http://www.shampoopoo.com/pictures/iphone.jpg

Does look remarkably like a Motorola E398 though!!! ;)

drewprops
2004-12-23, 01:22
Cellular phones are a commodity product, so much so that they are dumped into landfills at alarming rates. The third world is awash in phones that were stylish in more affluent countries one or two product cycles back, probably less now. For Apple to enter the product end of the cellular phone industry is just asking for a black eye, financially speaking. Co-branding with Motorola makes more sense- I wonder if there's any exclusivity to this purported arrangement between Apple and Motorola or if Apple is eyeing a quiet assimilation of the cellular OS market... Heaven knows how impenetrable most of the cellphone interfaces are to operate.

The Flash-RAM music-player seems the safest bet. Anything else begins to play with the edges of reality and make my head go swimmy. Mark my words: one day your hip devices will be easy to use and they'll do more than you ever need them to do. Wait, that second one is already true.

dglow
2004-12-23, 02:51
Well-said, drewprops. Do you work in the mobile industry?

Somebody mentioned TransFlash above. Would the iPhone offer this very Moto-ish feature?

from Sandisk's page (http://www.sandisk.com/pressrelease/20040227.html):
Unique Characteristics And Usage Model
TransFlash represents a new type of flash memory for mobile phones that combines the space-saving benefit of embedded flash memory with the flexibility of removable flash storage cards. Given the extremely small size of the TransFlash module, handset manufacturers have greater flexibility to implement TransFlash into their new designs. A range of TransFlash connectors are available that support external slots as well as ‘under-the-battery’ placement. The TransFlash module is likely to be used as a semi-permanent storage device in the handset, and is ideal to transport subscriber data and settings from an older TransFlash enabled phone to a new one. TransFlash has built- in content protection rights management to allow secure downloads of content such as songs, video clips and video games. Future versions of TransFlash are being developed which will offer advanced encryption security to permit protected storage of personal, financial and medical information.

Take it a step further: would an iPod flash use these cards too - possibly in addition to a fixed, built-in flash resevoir?

It looks like TransFlash is SanDisk's own format, which would be important to Apple because then IP (license) fees wouldn't flow back to Sony, Panasonic, or others (Memory Stick, SD, et. al.). And SanDisk is a CA (Sunnyvale) company, which probably scores points with Steve.

Two more:
1) iPhone features a camera and a new version of iPhoto supports it (obvious?), but bonus: both also shoot & store short 3GPP (Quicktime) videos.
2) Wireless stereo earbuds - with handsfree mic, of course. :)

Thoughts?

fubar
2004-12-23, 05:06
old, old and OLD :D

Is this an old mockup or photoshop? The copy talks about Sony Ericsonn being the co-op not Motorola. HMMM

TednDi
2004-12-23, 10:44
The mockup was an april fools joke some years back. The top of the pic is cut off which has the date.

Akumulator
2005-01-07, 00:40
Just saw this on MacNN:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1749057,00.asp

LAS VEGAS—A Motorola executive on Thursday previewed an upcoming mobile phone that can play music from Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes store.

Speaking during a keynote at the International Consumer Electronics Show here, the executive demonstrated the phone, which in many ways mimics the iPod. It syncs with a computer and the iTunes Music Store like an iPod does, and incorporates the iPod interface for navigating and playing digital music, said Ron Garriques, a Motorola executive vice president.

The phone is the first of many Motorola devices that will support iTunes this year, said Garriques, also president of Motorola's personal devices business. He didn't provide product details for the phone or say when it would be available.

But the demo at CES bolsters rumors that an iTunes-compatible Motorola phone would be launched this month, possibly at the Macworld conference and expo that opens next week in San Francisco. Last month, an Apple executive revealed that the phone was due in the first half of 2005.

rasmits
2005-01-07, 01:02
Is this an old mockup or photoshop? The copy talks about Sony Ericsonn being the co-op not Motorola. HMMM
I remember seeing that a long time ago, and thought it looked sooo real. Who ever did that did a really good job.

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 01:27
Just saw this on MacNN:

A Motorola executive on Thursday previewed an upcoming mobile phone that can play music from Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes store.

Speaking during a keynote at the International Consumer Electronics Show here, the executive demonstrated the phone, which in many ways mimics the iPod.

Someone needs to bring out the pics! Here's more hints from Motorola:

Motorola and Burton Snowboards Announce Relationship and Unveil State-of-the-Art Snowboarding Products

LAS VEGAS – 5 January 2005 – Next winter, the world’s snowboarders will add another “trick” to their repertoire with the ability to switch between their iPOD playlist and incoming calls in mid-air thanks to three new products from Motorola and Burton Snowboards. Launched today at the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show, these Bluetooth-enabled jackets, helmets and beanies will provide wireless, high-performance connectivity and playability on the slopes for the 2006 winter season.

The products introduced at CES include:
Jacket – the Bluetooth-enabled jacket links a rider’s cell phone and/or iPod with an imbedded system operated via an easily removed control module on the jacket sleeve. Stereo speakers are built into the hood of the jacket and a microphone is embedded in the upper section near the collar, allowing seamless, unobtrusive wearability and playability. Elements can be swapped between products, used as stand-alones and removed and reinserted easily.

Helmet and Beanie - Bluetooth technology built into the helmet and beanie keep riders connected to their music and wirelessly to their phone. When the modules are removed from the helmet and beanie, they can double as a stereo headset.

Motorola believes the greatest technological advances are made to make everyday tasks easier. For snowboarders, using a cell phone or an iPod in cold temperatures can be a significant challenge. With these new products, Motorola and Burton will allow snowboarders to overcome extreme conditions through their innovative designs and improved technologies, making the snowboarding experience on the mountain that much better.

Cell Phone and iPod working side by side...it isn't the iPhone, but it may be what really might happen..Bluetooth iPods link to Cell Phones.

scratt
2005-01-07, 02:04
For snowboarders, using a cell phone or an iPod in cold temperatures can be a significant challenge.

Ring Ring... Ring Ring...

"Whoaa.. Hang on dude I am just about to launch of Everest and U2's new song is coming on next... Call me baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........ ." :lol: :lol:

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 07:17
like the helmet (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/bluetooth/index.php#motorola-and-burtons-bluetooth-helmet-and-beanies-029136)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/morningstarrising/motoro_helmet.jpg

TednDi
2005-01-07, 08:43
Is that thing on the right the moto head trauma bandage?

BuonRotto
2005-01-07, 09:25
For snowboarders, using a cell phone or an iPod in cold temperatures can be a significant challenge.

Just finding the thing in the snow would be hard enough!

usurp
2005-01-07, 11:41
from engadget

http://www.unex-t.com/temp/iphone.jpg

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 15:02
huh..can't see the wheel..I know there's a wheel...

Gizzer
2005-01-07, 15:34
Macworld UK Confirms the Moto iPhone too (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=10546) . Just a white Motorola (not sure what model).

One less item for speculation on Tuesday :)

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 15:48
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/morningstarrising/moto_ces_2005_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/morningstarrising/2756532442029510.jpg

If they are tslking about these phones..it may be. But Motorola hasn't said so when hey announced them at CES yesterday...

morningstarrising
2005-01-08, 20:44
Motorola is going to be apart of Steve's keynote. Expect to see the iTunes phones then.

morningstarrising
2005-01-09, 02:04
Hey, Steve Jobs was at CES in video form:

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/1/1559_MotDoc.mpg

Akumulator
2005-01-09, 02:05
Hey, Steve Jobs was at CES in video form:

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/1/1559_MotDoc.mpg

No, that's an old video.

morningstarrising
2005-01-09, 02:09
Really..Well at lease I know this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/morningstarrising/2756532442029510.jpg is the iPhone. :)