PDA

View Full Version : iPhone now or wait for 3G in June?

Satchmo
2008-03-03, 13:07
Okay I can't wait till Rogers and Apple get their act together to bring the iPhone to Canada.
I think it's inevitable, but I'll jailbreak it instead of waiting.

That said, rumours say a 3G is due in June. I'm not so concerned with the 3G aspect as I am with the potential of the current iPhones dropping in price or picking up a refurbished one.
Then again, June is a long 3 months away without any guarantee it's coming. And I suppose they wouldn't be leaking any info later this week either. Otherwise, it'll kill current sales.

What do you think the 3G phone would do to the current iPhone price? Perhaps knock it down to $299 for 8gb?

sunrain
2008-03-03, 14:48
I think they'll have to file with the FCC for a 3G phone (six months in advance?) so you'll get some advance notice from the filing. At this point we're looking at end of summer or later unless they announce soon.

ghoti
2008-03-03, 14:54
No, that's a myth. You can request the FCC to review your device without revealing it until it's released. That was really only a ploy to hype up the iPhone, not because it was needed. The 3G iPhone will not be announced six months in advance.

sunrain
2008-03-03, 14:57
No, that's a myth. You can request the FCC to review your device without revealing it until it's released. That was really only a ploy to hype up the iPhone, not because it was needed. The 3G iPhone will not be announced six months in advance.

Oh snap. I got owned by Apple's marketing again. ;)

apple007
2008-03-03, 16:54
Right ... Wasn't it agreed that any revised iPhone would need to be registered with the FCC, even for something simple like increased HD capacity? If so, the 16GB iPhone seems to have been launched without any advance notice, leaks from the FCC, etc.

nikstar101
2008-03-04, 14:35
I personally don't think the iPhone 2 will be out in June, i reckon it will be Sept and i think it will be world-wide immediately rather than US first. As i think Europe is a lot more developed when it comes to 3G.

But if your a dying for a phone now and you are going to unlock it, so you won't be locked into a long 18-24 month contract so that max your going to loose is the outright cost of the iPhone. Which isn't a small amount of money, but if it lasts a year (if you don't buy a iPhone 2 immediately) then it is probably worth it. Plus how much do you currently use the 3G network?