PDA

View Full Version : Mic for Acoustic and Vocals

Swox
2008-03-18, 18:32
Hello,

I'm looking to spend about $300 or so on a condenser mic for recording vocals and my acoustic guitar. Any advice? I've got a Black Box, so I can go XLR.

Thanks!

Dave
2008-03-18, 19:07
I'd get a Shure SM81 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-SM81-Condenser-Mic-101182590-i1126528.gc)

Yontsey
2008-03-18, 20:39
Back a year or two ago when I bought one of my interfaces, I got a deal on a package that had one MXL 990 and a 991 mic each in it.

They are both awesome mics and I love them. I've never thought about upgrading even though there are much better mics but these are perfect and all I need for my studio I have at my house.

They come with a nice case and mic holder, but I bought a shock mount for my 990 and use that a lot of times to record guitar and vocal at the same time because it picks up the guitar very well.

I run them through a pre-amp and then into my Firebox and use either garageband or logic to record.

Swox
2008-03-19, 02:09
I'd get a Shure SM81 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-SM81-Condenser-Mic-101182590-i1126528.gc)

Any idea of where that mic is made? Looks nice...

Jerman
2008-03-19, 02:19
Back a year or two ago when I bought one of my interfaces, I got a deal on a package that had one MXL 990 and a 991 mic each in it.

I have two pairs of these mics, and they are definitely nice. I don't remember the exact amount I payed, but at Guitar Center I got a great deal, I think for under $200 total about 4 years ago.

If you are looking for something a bit higher end, I would highly HIGHLY recommend the Audio Technica 4040, which can be found here for $300 here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT4040-LargeDiaphragm-Studio-Condenser-Mic?sku=270427

I use the previous generation, a 4033 A/sm. In some ways I prefer this mic to a Neumann. On the record I am working, we used 2 4033's on my guitar and (1 on my) voice, and were very impressed with the results.

Edit: It looks like there is actually a 4033CL, so I guess that is the successor to the 4033. The only difference, it appears, is a different shockmount, but is $100 more. However, if you were to go to a Guitar Center, perhaps they would knock off some from it. It really is an amazing mic. :)

When you say black box, do you mean a direct box? If you are able to spring for a tiny bit more, you could get a tube preamp, which would really add warmth.

Our of curiosity, what kind of an interface are you using?

Yontsey
2008-03-19, 07:34
I have two pairs of these mics, and they are definitely nice. I don't remember the exact amount I payed, but at Guitar Center I got a great deal, I think for under $200 total about 4 years ago.

Yeah, I wanna say when Guitar Center has sales (which seems like every other weekend), they usually are like $100-150

When you say black box, do you mean a direct box? If you are able to spring for a tiny bit more, you could get a tube preamp, which would really add warmth.

Our of curiosity, what kind of an interface are you using?

Agreed, what kind of interface are you using?

Check out this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Project-Series-Tube-MicrophoneInstrument-Preamp?sku=180643) preamp. It's cheap and it makes an awesome difference.

Swox
2008-03-19, 13:01
I was (naively) thinking of using my m-audio Black Box. I bet it sucks though...

Swox
2008-03-19, 13:06
If you are looking for something a bit higher end, I would highly HIGHLY recommend the Audio Technica 4040, which can be found here for $300 here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT4040-LargeDiaphragm-Studio-Condenser-Mic?sku=270427

One more quick question: is that mic made in Japan?

Dave
2008-03-19, 13:10
Yeah, I wanna say when Guitar Center has sales (which seems like every other weekend), they usually are like $100-150

You mean Guitar Center's biweekly "Sale of the Millennium with Prices So Unbelievably Low that They'll Never Be This Low Again [Until Next Week]"? Yeah, you can find some good deals there if you know when & where to look.

Yontsey
2008-03-19, 13:48
You mean Guitar Center's biweekly "Sale of the Millennium with Prices So Unbelievably Low that They'll Never Be This Low Again [Until Next Week]"? Yeah, you can find some good deals there if you know when & where to look.

haha yeah, exactly. The good sales are around like christmas, 4th of july, and other what not.

A lot of times theyll say shit's on sale and they don't even change the price. They just show the msrp and what their normal price is and expect you go say "Holy shit! What a deal!!!"

Jerman
2008-03-19, 15:40
Haha, agreed on Guitar Center. I have found, however, you can also talk them down. When I went there was no set sale. Perhaps it was the end of the month, and they needed to meet a quota.

On the preamp, the stuff by Art X is very good, I have one of their preamps and it sounds amazing for the price. Presonus makes some good stuff too, but you would be spending ~$100 for it.

One more quick question: is that mic made in Japan?

I honestly am not sure where it's made. I'll try to find out at some point. The Sure mentioned above would be wonderful for instruments, but I don't know how it would sound with vocals. The Audio Technica would give you a really good presence in your recording. (And maybe the Sure would too, I just don't have experience with that particular mic for vocals). I just find the AT a wonderful all around mic. Coupled with a good preamp, the results are stunning.

I found some dealers selling the 4033CL new on eBay for ~250, probably a bit more shipped, but still probably lower than you would find retail.

Swox
2008-03-23, 23:03
I'll be looking seriously at the 4040's. Of course, I'm never satisfied just buying something, I've got to try out mics for hours, obsessing over which one to get. This helps narrow it down though, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I get when I go shopping for in in a week or two.

Jerman
2008-03-23, 23:43
No prob. Of course so much of this is subjective, and it depends on your specific application. A lot of the reason I love this mic is its versatility, a I have used it for so many things. But yeah, looking forward to seeing what you decide. :)

Swox
2008-04-25, 17:19
Just to give you some closure, I ended up buying the Apex460 - it comes with a nice preamp, has a crazy pickup pattern changing feature (it seems to go on an 8 stage scale from omni to cardiod to figure 8 patterns), and came highly recommended by the mic guy at my local Long and McQuade. I'll fire it up over the next day or so, and post my thoughts.

I did ask for the 4040, but they were out of stock. If this one doesn't satisfy, I'll get one ordered in.

Thanks for all the advice (which I apparently ignored...)!