PDA

View Full Version : DS game suggestions for my girlfriend?

beardedmacuser
2008-03-26, 11:59
Hi folks, the girlfriend is after a new game for her DS and I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with suggestions? So far she has enjoyed New Super Mario Bros, Brain Training 2, 42 All-Time Classics and Mario Kart DS. She’s a big Bust A Move fan but found the DS version disappointing. She loves Lumines and Loco Roco on my PSP.

So do any of you gamers know of decent DS games which may appeal to her tastes? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

SKMDC
2008-03-26, 12:33
Buy her Cooking Mama, and Cooking Mama 2, then tell her to get her biscuits in the oven and her buns in the bed.
my kids have not quit cooking mama since they got it.

Swox
2008-03-26, 18:36
LOL @ SKMDC :lol:

My GF LOVES Harvest Moon Runefactory, and Puzzle Quest, though the latter is a tad hard on the eyes.

Robo
2008-04-02, 04:52
BUY PROFESSOR LAYTON

I'm not sure if it's out in Europe yet, but if it is, buy it. If it isn't, import it. It's that good.

It's sort of like Brain Age/Training with a plot. The puzzles are different than the ones in BA though; they're more like brain teasers. Basically, everybody gives you talk to has a puzzle for you to solve, and it's all great fun. I've recently completed it (I haven't finished every puzzle, though) - it was the first game in a long time I've actually finished. It got me back into videogames, as it were. (Which is good, 'cause I had just bought a PS3...).

Seriously. I can not praise Professor Layton enough. Everyone at my work is playing through it, and we all help each other through the puzzles. The sense of accomplishment you get when you the light bulb finally goes off in your head is just unparalleled. There are times when the game makes you feel really dumb, but you just can't stop playing anyway. :)

And as for the plot: It's a cute detective story starring the eponymous Professor and his student/apprentice, Luke. It's told through a smattering of well-drawn (and fully voiced!) anime cutscenes, and its interesting enough to make you want to keep going, even when you're stuck. Professor Layton is actually a trilogy (this post is referring to the first part, Curious Village), and I can't wait for part two!

Seriously. It's great. The music, the art, the puzzles...all great. Buy it now.

beardedmacuser
2008-04-02, 05:13
Yeah, thanks Roboman. I've read a couple of reviews of Professor Layton and it looks worth a try. Apparently it also has some online downloadable content released on a regular schedule?

Robo
2008-04-02, 05:38
Yeah, thanks Roboman. I've read a couple of reviews of Professor Layton and it looks worth a try. Apparently it also has some online downloadable content released on a regular schedule?

Yup, every week, there's a new puzzle to "download." (This being the DS, the puzzles are technically already on the cart, and the download just "unlocks them." But they're free, so nobody cares.) I think they said they'll keep adding a new puzzle every week for six months. I haven't tried any of them; I want to beat all the puzzles in the actual game first.