PDA

View Full Version : Updating DNS to point to new hosting?

MagSafe
2008-03-28, 08:40
Hey all,

A hosting account that i've got for a website I run (pinesvilla.com (http://www.pinesvilla.com)) is expiring in a few months, and what i'd like to do is let it expire and move the site over to my main hosting account at GoDaddy (which is under the domain name of stevenmclintock.com (http://www.stevenmclintock.com)).

I moved pinesvilla.com from it's old registrar into my GoDaddy account last year, so it should be easy to update the name servers to point to my main hosting account. I'd be creating a directory for the pinesvilla.com files to go into, so it'd be accessible at stevenmclintock.com/pinesvilla.

What i'm wondering is; is it possible to simply update the pinesvilla.com name servers to this new location (stevenmclintock.com/pinesvilla)? I know you can apply a mask over the domain name, or forward it, but I want it so you can still go to pinesvilla.com/directions.html for example.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or how it can be done?

Thanks,

Steve.

ghoti
2008-03-28, 09:02
So when somebody goes to pinesvilla.com/directions.html, you want to redirect them to stevenmclintock.com/pinesvilla/directions.html? Is there a reason why you want to give up the domain? Since you're apparently keeping the content and the domain as a pointer, why not keep it under the old domain?

I don't think this can be done with a simple redirect like GoDaddy offers it. But you could simply point the pinesvilla.com domain to another hosting account (most allow you to host a bunch of domains, don't know GoDaddy's hosting) and set up a redirect rule in an .htaccess file there. That's quite simple to do, and will work for all files and directories under the domain the way I described it above.

turtle
2008-03-28, 09:37
With my host I have 4 domain names under one hosting account. You can go to each site independently and never cross over to the other sites. Seem you could do this with Go Daddy too. Set up an "addon domain" that would point to a folder like public_html/pinesvilla. Then all traffic to www.pinesvilla.com will go to it's own site on your one hosting account.

You shouldn't need another hosting account unless Go Daddy doesn't allow addon domains.

MagSafe
2008-03-28, 10:16
It turns out I needed to upgrade to the Deluxe hosting plan to add more than one domain to my account, so i've just gone and done exactly that :)

Thanks for the advice turtle :)

turtle
2008-03-28, 14:52
Glad to help. :)

ghoti
2008-03-28, 15:00
*stomp* I helped too! *stomp* *stomp*

turtle
2008-03-28, 15:03
*stomp* I helped too! *stomp* *stomp*

:lol:

thegeriatric