PDA

View Full Version : Seagate sale at Best Buy - till Monday

rubber_Jedi
2008-04-06, 19:54
If you're shopping for Hard Drives, Best Buy is running a 2-day sale which includes internal Seagate Barracuda drives.
The sale ends Monday April 7th, so I hope everyone sees this in time!

BTW - I'm an Applenova member and I checked with an Admin before I posted this.

I don't know what else is on sale as I was only shopping for internal HDs
and not all sizes are on sale - just these:

500GB Barracudas are $99.99
1TB Barracudas are $189.99

I thought everyone might want to know. :D :p :D :p

Here's the Link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8490625&type=product&id=1186003683968)

I just bought (2) 1TB bad boys! Woohoo!!

Capella
2008-04-06, 20:13
Those are crazy prices. If I only still had my BestBuy gift card, which I spent on an external- not that an external is bad 'cause it means I can use it on my laptop, but suddenly internal doesn't sound so bad if there's that much space.

rubber_Jedi
2008-04-06, 20:27
Yeah, crazy is right. I just saved $120 on the 2 drives I just bought.
Not bad at all!!

Brad
2008-04-06, 20:30
Mmm... I've been wanting to get a new backup drive. The timing here is just perfect. Thanks, rubber_jedi! :)

edit: And *free shipping* too? Wow, this is a steal.

jdcfsu
2008-04-06, 20:34
Those are great prices for quality drives. Too bad I just spent twice that a week ago on NewEgg... :grumble:

sirnick4
2008-04-06, 20:37
That is a sweet deal! It almost makes me wanna bite on it.. even though changing an internal drive makes me nervous :\

rubber_Jedi
2008-04-06, 20:43
Mmm... I've been wanting to get a new backup drive. The timing here is just perfect. Thanks, rubber_jedi! :)

No worries Brad. I usually just lurk and post a few mockups so I'm glad to get the chance to contribute.

Brad
2008-04-06, 20:47
That is a sweet deal! It almost makes me wanna bite on it.. even though changing an internal drive makes me nervous :\
If you don't want to crack open your case, you could do what I'm doing and put it into an external drive enclosure.

sirnick4
2008-04-06, 20:49
If you don't want to crack open your case, you could do what I'm doing and put it into an external drive enclosure.

Yeah, that's a thought. I would love to have a TB drive in my laptop though to haul around. It'd be sweet!

A major upgrade from my 120.

jdcfsu
2008-04-06, 20:54
Yeah, that's a thought. I would love to have a TB drive in my laptop though to haul around. It'd be sweet!

A major upgrade from my 120.

Unless you've got some sort of crazy old school laptop that's the size of a phone book these won't fit in there.

sirnick4
2008-04-06, 20:56
Unless you've got some sort of crazy old school laptop that's the size of a phone book these won't fit in there.

Whoops!

Never mind.

:lol:

Jerman
2008-04-06, 21:07
Is this at retail as well, or just online? I bought a 750 gig western digital external, but it is having a bunch of problems, so maybe I would exchange it for one of these...

rubber_Jedi
2008-04-06, 21:11
The 1TB is online only and it's backordered. I'm pretty sure that if you buy it by Monday, it might take longer to get to you but you will still get the low price.

Jerman
2008-04-06, 21:19
Thanks! Yeah, I am just having all sorts of issues with this MyBook drive. I have two other enclosures, and perhaps it is conflicting due to different chipsets?

CitizenTony
2008-04-06, 21:23
Prices on Hard Drives seem to be really coming down lately. Last week I got a 250GB WD Passport at Best Buy for $100. I took it apart and put it into my laptop and the old laptop drive back into the passport.

Eugene
2008-04-06, 21:28
Frys.com and stores have 1TB Seagates for $200 too. They usually have prices similar to these Best Buy sales in fact.

rubber_Jedi
2008-04-06, 21:48
Frys.com and stores have 1TB Seagates for $200 too. They usually have prices similar to these Best Buy sales in fact.

True, just checked. Only Frys limits you to one unit per household and no free shipping.

SKMDC
2008-04-06, 22:11
I just got an iOmega 500GB, FW 800 for 150, I've been keeping track of FW800 for a while and finally found one low enough. It was from Amazon. I think I have some kind of Hard Drive addiction.:lol:

torifile
2008-04-06, 22:48
Any ideas for a good enclosure? I'm thinking of picking up 2 500 gig drives and RAIDing them.

psmith2.0
2008-04-06, 23:13
I saw a little something about this in today's weekly (Sunday) Best Buy circular that was inserted into my Sunday paper. I saw the Seagate logos everywhere, but didn't pay super close attention. I was wondering if this was a good deal or not, and it sounds like it is...

I don't recall seeing any sort of Seagate mention/content in previous Best Buy printed catalogs/circulars, so it jumped out at me a bit...

EDIT: wait a minute, that's even better than the crap in their circular... :confused: :eek: :p

PB PM
2008-04-07, 01:08
If you're shopping for Hard Drives, Best Buy is running a 2-day sale which includes internal Seagate Barracuda drives.
The sale ends Monday April 7th, so I hope everyone sees this in time!

BTW - I'm an Applenova member and I checked with an Admin before I posted this.

I don't know what else is on sale as I was only shopping for internal HDs
and not all sizes are on sale - just these:

500GB Barracudas are $99.99
1TB Barracudas are $189.99

I thought everyone might want to know. :D :p :D :p

Here's the Link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8490625&type=product&id=1186003683968)

I just bought (2) 1TB bad boys! Woohoo!!
That's not bad. At NCIX (at least here in Canada) the 500GB Barracudas are going for $93, on sale this week, and the Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 for only $83

torifile
2009-01-15, 15:42
Guys, if you bought the 1TB drive last year, better back up (http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=607870&postcount=5) your stuff.

PKIDelirium
2009-01-15, 15:56
Yeah, that's why I'm going to Western Digital. Seagate's having a bad time with those 7200.11 drives.

macleod
2009-01-15, 17:05
What would you recommend to replace it with? I have all my iTunes on a 1TB Seagate and it isn't backed up.

torifile
2009-01-15, 20:04
What would you recommend to replace it with? I have all my iTunes on a 1TB Seagate and it isn't backed up.
Same here. My iTunes, all my videos, one of my Aperture vaults and my Time Machine backups for the past several months. I'm thinking a Drobo. I may also be looking into a NAS.

PB PM
2009-01-15, 21:13
Samsung and Western Digital also make TB drives.

Moogs
2009-01-17, 09:18
Hard drives are really strange beasts. You can get some of the very best models and worst models from the same manufacturer, so don't be lulled into the idea that all Seagates are lower quality and all WD higher, etc. I've found if you go to NewEgg and check the ratings for a particular drive, it quickly becomes evident which ones have the greatest failure rates and which ones -when installed by someone who knows what they're doing- are the most reliable. Often it's easy to tell which reviewers are guilty of user (install) error and which ones had a real problem. They also have good prices there so that's where I get my drives now. RAM from Crucial, drives from NewEgg, GPUs from NewEgg, Amazon or whoever has the best price.

Kraetos
2009-01-20, 22:12
I just rebuilt my Dad's media server using a pair of RAID 0 Western Digital 1TB drives backing up to a Drobo with three of the same Western Digital 1TB drives.

WD Caviar Black 1TB. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284)

Lots of movies and TV shows, but more importantly, more than a decades worth of photos that are irreplaceable. I decided on the Caviar Black drives going off personal experience and NewEgg ratings. I've never had a WD drive fail on me.

Highest rated internal hard drives from NewEgg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014&Configurator=&Subcategory=14&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=) Of the top 20 highest rated drives at NewEgg, fifteen are Western Digital drives.

Like Moogs said, hard drives are very delicate pieces of hardware and it's never safe to say "all WD drives are good." But NewEgg ratings seem to agree with that sentiment, for the time being.

As for Western Digital drives specifcially, the Caviar Black (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=503) is the top of the "consumer" lineup. If you want to get really serious, go with the enterprise-class RE3 (WD page (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=503);NewEgg page (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136313)) line. RE3s are designed for use with mission-critical storage solutions. To be honest, I don't know enough about hard drives to tell you whether or not the extra $70 between the Caviar Black 1TB and the RE3 1TB makes a difference w/r/t reliability, but Western Digital seems to think it does.

Finally...

Always, always, ALWAYS back up your data. :D

scratt
2009-01-20, 23:03
torifile already touched on this, but Seagate drives on sale... from BestBuy...

Go figure..

There are lots of bad batches out there....

It's a bit like the solder problem on Nvidea's GPUs.. You know, the ones they "didn't" sell to Apple.. ;)

Yonzie
2009-01-21, 05:24
I just rebuilt my Dad's media server using a pair of RAID 0 Western Digital 1TB drives backing up to a Drobo with three of the same Western Digital 1TB drives.

Lots of movies and TV shows, but more importantly, more than a decades worth of photos that are irreplaceable. RAID0 and irreplaceable? That's a first. I know it's backed up, but still.
I'd also worry that you're using identical drives for both the live and the backup. I expect they're manufactured around the same time, so if they have any flaws, there's a good chance all 5 are going to have the same flaw, and hence fail in the same way, at around the same time. That's a pretty bad lookout you've got going there.
It's probably not going to happen, but when we're talking irreplaceable, paranoia is good.

Kraetos
2009-01-22, 02:13
RAID0 and irreplaceable? That's a first. I know it's backed up, but still.

Hrm, yeah, I was just looking for a quick way to get more capacity. I figured that since it's being backed up, it wasn't a big deal. I don't have much experience with hardware, actually. Where can I read more about this somewhere other than Wikipedia?

I'd also worry that you're using identical drives for both the live and the backup. I expect they're manufactured around the same time, so if they have any flaws, there's a good chance all 5 are going to have the same flaw, and hence fail in the same way, at around the same time. That's a pretty bad lookout you've got going there.

The ones in the tower are older than the ones in the Drobo; the tower has had all this drive space for a while.

It's probably not going to happen, but when we're talking irreplaceable, paranoia is good.

Well put. I know how to find good hardware but apparently I don't yet know how to use it correctly :p

Yonzie
2009-01-22, 08:03
Where can I read more about this somewhere other than Wikipedia? 'This' being what exactly?

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-22, 08:22
'This' being what exactly?

From the response it looks like the poster wants more info on RAID configurations as he got a bit of an "I don't think so" repy for using RAID0 and irreplaceable in the same post.

Yonzie
2009-01-22, 09:44
You might be right. Guess I should spill the beans ;)
Over the years I've gotten a lot of good info from Storagereview.com
Here's (http://www.storagereview.com/guide/index_perf_qual.html) information about harddrive reliability, and here's (http://www.storagereview.com/guide/index_perf_raid.html) information about RAID and what it means.
I'm not sure how much of that is replicated on wikipedia, but I believe it's presented better in the above articles.

I guess it's just the word "irreplaceable" conveys that this is something that should hopefully survive most anything. RAID is not a "fix" for backing up, or storing a copy on a networked drive (not a backup). Someone might accidentally (or deliberately) delete the irreplaceable stuff, or you get a virus on your windows computer which deletes the networked copy, and you don't realize it until the RAID0 dies and you need the "backup".
Another example: Lightning strikes (or a power surge/brownout) and fries the power supplies of both the PC and the Drobo. The dead (or just wonky) power supplies fry the drives, losing everything.
Data recovery on RAID arrays is expensive. Data recovery from a Drobo... No clue how it works, so I don't know if it can be done.

Get an external harddrive, and make a real backup of the irreplaceable stuff once in a while, like once a month or so. The rest of the time, the external drive should stay somewhere off-site so it's safe against fire.

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-22, 11:05
My boss is totally anal about his family pictures & videos. He and his wife spent years digitizing and cataloging all of their print photos & VHS tapes (digitizing the videos is where I got him to buy an iMac G5). This is on his computer, and external backup HDD, burned to DVDs which are stored in his office and since HDD prices have come down he also has an external drive with all the pics stashed in his office too.

JohnnyTheA
2009-01-23, 01:53
What do you guys think about Mozy http://mozy.com/home Apparently they offer unlimited network data storage backups for $5 per month. Seems a little too-good-to-be-true to me... For the MozyPro Business plan they charge ALOT more. Even more than the Amazon S3. I like the idea of having a remote network storage device that is off-site as one part of a backup system.

One thing I DO NOT like is the use of DVD-Rs... These things are unreliable for backup IMO. I had a stack of 50 that basically sat for 2 years in its container. I attempted to burn a DVD to a couple and 7 in a row failed or had bad sectors... These are DVD-Rs that had just been sitting for 2 years.. I'd hate to have any kind of backup on optical media..

I also don't like the idea of any kind of magnetic tape, or funny compression programs. I like the idea of mirroring data to separate disks that kept off most of the time...

JTA

scratt
2009-01-23, 02:11
Mozy is absolutely awesome. Been using it since Beta, and it has saved my ass a few times, and never ever messed up on me. Not once.

If anyone wants to sign up and do it through my affiliate link (https://mozy.com/?ref=QQ6E3H) I get an extra 0.5GB free. ;)

And count me as owing you a favour. :)

It's been discussed here (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=23546&highlight=mozy+.mac) before.

Also DropBox, not quite as good IMO, but a more Mac centric system is worth a look.

torifile
2009-01-23, 10:58
My upload speed is too slow for Mozy to be a reasonable solution as a backup. In fact, any network-based backup solution is out of the question. I hate TWC but I've got no other viable alternatives. :\

scratt
2009-01-23, 11:10
Are you sure?

What's your upload speed?

The Mozy client makes a backup archive and then uploads it piecemeal.
You can shutdown your machine, and when you reboot it resumes.

I manage a 15GB archive, and most days about 60MB gets uploaded. It is a delta backup system.
On occasions when I have completely refreshed the areas on my HD that contains things to backup, that backup has been several GBs and it has been uploaded over the afternoon and the next day without too much trouble.

Initially your first backup may be huge, but again it will spread it out over however long it takes, and then daily backups are really quick.

My upload speed is supposed to be 50kb/s, but this is Thailand and I don't even get that...

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-23, 11:34
My upload speed is supposed to be 50kb/s, but this is Thailand and I don't even get that...

You're saying your connection is slower than dialup (56.8kbps) and you're managing a 15GB archive???

scratt
2009-01-23, 11:44
Isn't dial-up 50b/s?

Should I have used capitals? KB/s?

Taskiss
2009-01-23, 11:49
A V.90 connection can go 56 kbit/s download and 33.6 kbit/s upload on POTS, and that's about it. There is a V.92 standard (56 kbit/s download and 48 kbit/s upload rate) but I've never seen it in the real world.

scratt
2009-01-23, 11:51
I've never really wrapped my head around kbits.

So I've always just thought of speeds in terms of Bytes and KBs.

I guess my mistake was to go small case for KB.

And then you have the DSL connection speeds.. So I just take whatever my menu bar counters max out to as my speeds.

I guess it's all just factors of 1000's or 1024's. And no-one seems to be able to make up their minds on that.
kbits seem to be base 2, which I guess makes sense. But then DSL people seem to talk in base 10.

And don't get me started on HD space!!

And as for all the v.90 stuff... Well I haven't got time for that crap!! :p ;)

Taskiss
2009-01-23, 12:02
Uploading 60 MB over a 33.6 kb connection would take (if I calculated correctly) over 4 hours at full tilt...do-able at night, easily.

scratt
2009-01-23, 12:11
Thinking about it, on GPRS (and I have no idea of the calculations for that) I have pulled down 1MB files onto my iPhone whilst drinking a cup of coffee and smoking a J.

Most times, using squirrel units, I estimate the iPhone is doing between 5 and 10 Bytes per second... Again, based on my little indicator dials and none of your fancy v. stuff! :)

torifile
2009-01-23, 12:31
Problem is, my Aperture library, probably my single most important document, is 50 gigs big. And it's a single "file" as far as I can tell, even though it's just a package. And if I'm right, any changes to one photo will necessitate a complete backup again. Not ideal for a network solution. I really should think about my photo system and going to a referenced file solution rather than a managed one. I just don't know how to do it with Aperture.

PKIDelirium
2009-01-23, 12:32
I have an Amazon S3 account with the JungleDisk (http://www.jungledisk.com/) Mac client. I haven't started using it yet, but I likely will at some point. I jumped on a sale a while back to get the client for $10 instead of the usual $20.

JohnnyTheA
2009-01-23, 12:37
My upload speed is too slow for Mozy to be a reasonable solution as a backup. In fact, any network-based backup solution is out of the question. I hate TWC but I've got no other viable alternatives. :\

It depends on your connection. For dial-up, yes I would agree. For those with ASDL (with smaller upload speeds than downloads) its pretty reasonable for things like pictures, documents, etc.. Certainly not good for backing up your media center collection of mpeg4s but good. My issue is really one of trust. If the company goes out of business or manages their system wrong, you could be burned. BUT as an extra layer of defense, its probably a good idea...

JTA

scratt
2009-01-23, 12:43
I don't think Mozy is going out of business any time soon.
As far as I understand they have quite a big concern behind them.

Also, Mozy offer you the option to use your own 128Bit encryption on all your files, with the caveat that if you forget it you are SOL!

torifile, good grief. All your files managed in one big file? That's like a Parallels disk image. Yeuk! Yes, hard to back up incrementally.

Are you sure it's not a wrapper with lots of files inside though?
Seems very un-Apple otherwise.
If it is then you may find Mozy can see through the wrapper....

You can get a trial account for free and give it a try and see... :\

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-23, 13:17
Even with the trial account, he'll still have to upload the 50GB in order to perform an incremental backup test.

scratt
2009-01-23, 13:20
Not necessarily. I would make a 500MB test file and then make a change to that, and see what happens...

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-23, 14:17
Not necessarily. I would make a 500MB test file and then make a change to that, and see what happens...

Yea, I see your point. I'd probably make an Aperture file with two pics, upload it, then modify one and see what happens although this test might be over too quickly.

torifile
2009-01-23, 14:47
I'll give it a try. The file doesn't act like a 50 gig file when using it in other Aperture aware apps like iPhoto or various other media programs that can see in the package (IOW dog-slow) so I could be very wrong in my understanding of what is going on. I know that I can see the individual files in the package if I show package contents. I just don't know how the library would be treated.

I'll post my results here.

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-01-23, 14:49
I could be wrong but I think a package is just a folder with a special attribute that makes it look different in Finder, just like .app folders.

turtle
2009-01-23, 15:05
The Aperture Library is a wrapper for the library and it contains numbers of sub-folders and files. Not sure how it would handle being uploaded in a setting like Mozy, but in my Time Machine backups it only increments the parts contained that are modified.