PDA

View Full Version : Random Part

Dovek916
2008-04-24, 23:49
I do not know how it happened, but somehow the door on my printer broke. One of the little hinges broke off. This means that the door comes off, and closes poorly. Where can I get another one? Are there any sites only that would have just parts, not the entire printer? Like iFixit, but not just for macs. I checked eBay, but they only have whole printers. What would you suggest?

Vital Stats:
Printer- MP160
Broken- Printer Door/Printer Door Hinge
Problem- Annoys me!:lol: :mad:
Large Photo Link- Link (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2439618741_aea652a190_o.png)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2439618741_d242212a21.jpg

thegeriatric
2008-04-25, 05:01
Try the manufacturer, buy a cheap one on eBay etc and use it for parts, wait until you need new ink carts, and then treat yourself to a new printer.

Chellovek
2008-04-25, 05:23
Bring on the araldite!

Robo
2008-04-25, 06:21
wait until you need new ink carts, and then treat yourself to a new printer.

That's what I would do. I don't know how expensive your printer was, Dovek916, but many inkjet printers are cheap enough to be practically disposable. If you buy a new computer, it's practically a given they'll throw in a printer for free - hell, buying a camera can net you a photo printer these days (after mail in rebates, natch). Printer manufacturers really do make their money on the ink cartridges. So, use up the ink you have (or wait until you want to buy a computer or camera!) and pick up a new printer.

I really don't think you'll ever be able to find just that little hinge part for sale, and buying a parts printer off of eBay might be more trouble than it's worth. But again, I don't know how expensive that printer is, or if you are totally in love with it or something.

And, if you do get a new printer, be sure to find a good home for your old printer. There are plenty of people - charities, schools - who would happily use a printer, even if the hinge was broken. (I'm not trying to pass judgement on you or anything - believe me, something like that would bug the hell out of me too.) I see people just throw out printers and monitors and even laptops sometimes, and it just makes me sad. It's bad for the environment and even an old, massive, spyware-riddled PC notebook can probably be put to good use somewhere.

Whoo, tangent. Best of luck with your printer problems, whatever you decide to do. :)