PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Mouse

Joep
2004-12-18, 09:23
Everyone talks about the next BIG thing apple might come out with, but if you all remember not so long ago Apple made a patent for a new type of mouse, maybe an introduction to a new scroll mouse at Macworld?

I think it might even have an ipod like spin wheel on it, instead of a normal scroll wheel. It will have room for such a spin wheel because of apples signature one button mouse.

What do you guys think?

scratt
2004-12-18, 09:43
Just an extra button would do me on the Bluetooth mouse!

But, yes I do remember the patent... but I think that is going to come in a little down the line with a multimedia remote for a new home hub...

Brad
2004-12-18, 12:18
I think it might even have an ipod like spin wheel on it, instead of a normal scroll wheel.
No offense, but that's a terrible idea. A mouse can't have an iPod wheel because the only comfortable way to operate that is by holding it palm-up in your hand, like holding a TV remote. You'd have to pick up the mouse every time you wanted to scroll. Even then, that circular motion would very quickly tire (and probably cause RSI on) your thumb even more than a scroll wheel tires your finger.

No, I think Apple will be sticking with the traditional one-clicker for a while longer. This leaves plenty of room for third parties to sell mice. Heck, I use a Microsoft mouse and it doesn't bother me one bit.

alcimedes
2004-12-18, 12:23
actually, if you think about it, a rotating wheel (left to right) instead of a scroll wheel would work much better.

put it in the same spot as the scroll wheels are now, it would just be a little wider.

as it is now with a scroll wheel, if you need to scroll down 20 pages of text it goes like this. scroll. stop. lift finger. place at top of wheel. scroll. and so on.

with a wheel it would just be one continious motion.

doesn't matter too much, unless like me you have one of expose's key functions mapped to clicking the scroll wheel, and when you're lifting and pressing over and over you press too hard.

Kickaha
2004-12-18, 12:34
Brad - who says it's for a surface mouse? Think air-mouse/remote. Possibly for a media solution? ;)

Henriok
2004-12-18, 12:52
Everyone talks about the next BIG thing apple might come out with, but if you all remember not so long ago Apple made a patent for a new type of mouse?The patent wasn't for the mouse, it was for the control surface on top of it. I'm ready to believe that it is the patent that protects the jog wheel on the iPod, and no new mouse.

scratt
2004-12-18, 13:02
You'd have to pick up the mouse every time you wanted to scroll. Even then, that circular motion would very quickly tire (and probably cause RSI on) your thumb even more than a scroll wheel tires your finger.

Hey Brad,

I don't disagree with what you are saying... but ... (he he here we go!).. No seriously... I always imagined using your index finger for the rotating bit... much like you do now for the scroll wheel....

But having said that... The "up-down" scrolly wheel is far more intuitive for moving a web / word / whatever page up and down... So I can't see why we would want to replace it..

I am forced to agree with Henriok that the patent is more likely to protect the iPod 'wheel'.

But I do also think we will see it in about 18 months in use on a multimedia / home entertainment / Airport Express / iPod remote.... :smokey:

LoCash
2004-12-18, 13:25
The patent wasn't for the mouse, it was for the control surface on top of it. I'm ready to believe that it is the patent that protects the jog wheel on the iPod, and no new mouse.
I completely agree with this post, that's the scroll wheel patent that protects the iPod... I think we're reading too much into it.

Philth
2004-12-23, 14:32
They could just have a small sensitive vertical strip on the mouse where the normal mouse-wheels are on other mice for scrolling. Like a 3G ipod touch "wheel" (No actual wheel, its just touch sensitive) .. You just brush your finger up and down on the touchpad area to scroll instead of actually spinning a wheel. You could make it so its just seamless and not even noticable on the mouse. You just flip your finger up and down and watch it scroll the window.

That would be quite cool.

thegeek
2004-12-23, 15:19
Having a touchpad scroll area instead of a wheel never really appealed to me, but if you're into it then buy all means go buy one. Kensington makes one.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50207771&pfp=BROWSE

Luca
2004-12-23, 18:30
That mouse would have been cool if the scroll strip actually behaved like a touchpad. As in, if it didn't require a huge amount of pressure to register. I used to own one about a year ago and I hated it. You have to mash your finger down on it really, really hard, otherwise it doesn't notice. Within five minutes my finger was sore.

You guys can say what you will about the ergonomics of scroll wheels, but Kensington's scroll pad is far worse. The best would be an "auto scroll" type thing where you click on a middle button and it changes to scrolling mode, where moving the mouse up or down will scroll. I know that this is the default middle-click behavior in both IE and Firefox for Windows, which is very nice.

alcimedes
2004-12-23, 21:29
yeah, had one of those mice. it SUCKED. worst mouse i ever owned. i'd have been happier with a puck. at least then i'm not tempted to think i have a functional scrolling capability.

Quagmire
2004-12-24, 16:55
Actually a patent just surfaced about this so called touch sensitive scroll wheel mouse. I will certainly buy it for my pbook if apple will make a bluetooth version.

Another patent has surfaced today - "Apparatus for remotely controlling a digital processing system" - otherwise known as a mouse with a touch-sensitive scroll mechanism. Since its inception, Apple has not directly offered a mouse with a scroll wheel except from third parties.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/12/20041223150027.shtml

holbox
2005-01-02, 12:43
No offense, but that's a terrible idea. A mouse can't have an iPod wheel because the only comfortable way to operate that is by holding it palm-up in your hand, like holding a TV remote. You'd have to pick up the mouse every time you wanted to scroll. Even then, that circular motion would very quickly tire (and probably cause RSI on) your thumb even more than a scroll wheel tires your finger.

No, I think Apple will be sticking with the traditional one-clicker for a while longer. This leaves plenty of room for third parties to sell mice. Heck, I use a Microsoft mouse and it doesn't bother me one bit.

The regular Microsoft mouse is just a better piece of goods. Cheap too!
I tried the Apple one-clicker for a year and then pitched it.

Luca
2005-01-02, 15:19
Yeah, that's one thing MS does well... they make very good mice.

BenRoethig
2005-01-02, 17:20
I haven't touched a single button mouse since the days of OS8.

BarracksSi
2005-01-02, 23:53
But having said that... The "up-down" scrolly wheel is far more intuitive for moving a web / word / whatever page up and down... So I can't see why we would want to replace it..

The iPod interface moves entirely up & down, and we don't complain.

An iPod-like scroll wheel, to me, would make plenty of sense on a mouse. Other companies have tried the mechanical edge-on wheel and touch strip, but nobody's done a horizontal scroll wheel -- and nobody else (apart from some German company) has done one for mp3 players, either. If anybody's going to do it, it'll have to be Apple.

MacManUK
2005-01-04, 09:50
Recently came across this on a reputable UK dept store website – Could it be that they've jumped the gun a bit with a new apple products picture... http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?ARA=Computing&CAT=Accessories&SCT=Peripherals&PRT=Mice&Type=SKU&Id=230204162

This appears to be a new Apple Pro mouse with a scroll wheel – and could the two small buttons either side of the wheel be forward and back browser buttons?

It's also available in aluminium effect!

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/Product/230204162.jpg

Luca
2005-01-04, 09:59
No, that mouse is already being sold here in the US by a shady company called MacMice as simply "The Mouse." The two "small buttons" are not buttons, just little pieces of plastic that go down and register mouse clicks. They also sell a Bluetooth version.

Wraven
2005-01-04, 09:59
And no offense guys, but that mouse is very ugly. Not trying to crap on this thread, I just don't think Apple would release something like this (even if it WAS their prototype), because of the poor asthetics.

zama61
2005-01-04, 13:22
The iPod interface moves entirely up & down, and we don't complain.

An iPod-like scroll wheel, to me, would make plenty of sense on a mouse. Other companies have tried the mechanical edge-on wheel and touch strip, but nobody's done a horizontal scroll wheel -- and nobody else (apart from some German company) has done one for mp3 players, either. If anybody's going to do it, it'll have to be Apple.
Maybe the new mouse will *be* an iPod.

Luca
2005-01-04, 15:14
OMG... and maybe that new iPod-mouse will itself be a new tablet iBook!!!!

:rolleyes:

kscherer
2005-01-04, 15:16
Yeah. And it will be G5 (dual) and connect wirelessly with your brain! :lol:

IonYz
2005-01-04, 19:35
How about a new Apple trackball?

All white, with a white ball in the center and around that an iPod wheel. Am I the only one that likes trackballs 'round here? :err:

A man can dream can't he? I'm in the market for a new ball after the Microsoft one failed my liking and is pending a return. It was nice and big (got big hands) but the ball motion was sluggish, especially when you moved in very short distances.

Luca
2005-01-04, 19:43
Am I the only one that likes trackballs 'round here? :err:
Yes.

:D

Actually I do know someone who uses a trackball for everything, including first-person shooters. And he kicks everyone's ass too. I have no idea how he does it. Oh, and I know another guy who uses a combination of a mouse and a joystick for the same.

Maybe Apple should make a joystick? That would be hilarious given the current situation of gaming on the Mac. Even funnier since sim-type games are rare even on the PC side of things.

IonYz
2005-01-04, 21:55
Maybe Apple should make a joystick? That would be hilarious given the current situation of gaming on the Mac. Even funnier since sim-type games are rare even on the PC side of things.

Or a lightpen I can whip across my Cinema Display!

Sh-sha! :lol: