PDA

View Full Version : My MacBook is a lemon.

cosus
2008-06-11, 05:04
I had it sent in, dealt with tech support and reformatted it. I'm going back to the store and if I must, I'll demand anyone with authority to much decisions.

The issues I'm having with it are just seriously degrading my morale. isn't worth it. I just want them to replace it. Do you think that Apple will do that? Or better yet replace it with a MacBook Air and I pay the difference?

And if they do let me pay for a macbook Air, if I have the cash, should I get the SSD version? I'll also be making a MacBook Air thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=29399) if it'd be more appropriate to ask there.

Thanks in advance.

PB PM
2008-06-11, 13:42
Doubt it, you need at least three/four repairs before they will replace it under warranty.

turtle
2008-06-11, 16:28
Doubt it, you need at least three/four repairs before they will replace it under warranty.

It took me four trips and a call to customer relations to get my MBP replaced.

cosus
2008-06-11, 16:33
Well then, I'm up to three now! Here's to hoping! ;)

Right now they replaced the logic board at the store and the screen at the factory. Now they think it's the cable between the screen in the logic board, though they think they did it at the factory, but this is a just incase thing.

Apple said I can keep the laptop until the part comes in and then it'll it ill take 24-48 hours to complete. I really can't afford another break from my laptop, it's my life, I'm just going to try to convince them to do it on the same day. Think that's possible?

Yonzie
2008-06-11, 16:39
If you're nice and curteous and tell them that this is the third time they're fixing the same problem, they almost have to fix it ASAP.

apple007
2008-06-11, 16:42
IMO, you'd have a stronger argument for an exchange if you weren't so quick to mention your desire to ditch the MB altogether for an MBA.

Capella
2008-06-11, 17:19
Don't tell Apple you want to switch them out. I doubt they'll let you do that, anyways. Why not angle for the replacement, then sell the replacement, then use that money towards the MBA. Sure, you'd have to use your own money for the difference, but you already said you're willing to do that.

FFL
2008-06-11, 18:59
Don't tell Apple you want to switch them out. I doubt they'll let you do that, anyways.
Oh, it's been known to happen. Especially if you're polite but firm when dealing with the Customer Relations folks at Apple.

Just wait until they tell you they are going to replace the unit... and THEN ask if you can pay the difference to get an MBA instead.

cosus
2008-06-11, 21:53
I haven't mentioned that I want to switch at all. All I've been doing is being nice as possible while making it known that the computer is my livelihood. They already offered their express service and such and even said they'll do the repair in store even though that certain repair is usually outsourced.

jroller@mac.com
2008-06-26, 07:52
I understand how you feel. I agree with what the others have said regarding getting a replacement. I have purchased over 30 Macs (mostly for a lab I run at the school where I teach) and wouldn't you know it, the biggest lemon I ever bought was an iMac I bought for my daughter. It had multiple repairs. I never pushed for a replacement, but I should have. Even after the repairs, it has never run like it should.