PDA

View Full Version : Considering a MacBook Air

cosus
2008-06-11, 05:27
If Apple would let me exchange laptops, in the unlikely situation: See MacBook Lemon thread. (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=29398)

Even if I can't get Apple to do as I'd like them to do, considering what I need to do according to the following criteria, what option would be adequate if not more than suitable? What option should I take?

If I have the money, would it be worth it to get the SSD one at all? Would the better speed and such help? My last PowerBook did die from a HDD failure due to dropping it once so that is kinda in the back of my mind, is the 64GB too small if I get a timecapsule too?

But really, all in all is the upgraded MacBook getting if I can afford or is it just extraneous and serve little purpose?

Regardless I do plan to get an external HD for at least my movies, my must is less than 5gb and I mostly just browse, work in the field with wifi, use iphoto, ical and type with iWorks.

I always like having ical, mail and itunes on at all time with spaces. I also make my background change every five minutes. One thing in favor for the laptop is that in my business, ascetics are very important, but not more important than practicality. At least if I get it, I could get the new white iphone to match it... well as much as white can match aluminum, better than black though! ;)

In other words with a slower processor speed and only two gigs of ram, would a MacBook Air not only meet expectations, but exceed them a bit?

This too would be my primary machine.

Thanks in advance once again.

Robo
2008-06-11, 05:39
I really don't think they'll let you change laptops. Warranties are not upgrade plans.

cosus
2008-06-11, 06:03
I know that, but I forgot to make mention to the other thread which gave me the idea. CA does have lemon laws.

joveblue
2008-06-11, 08:26
is the 64GB too small if I get a timecapsule too?Why are you asking us? Only you know what your usage requirements are: how much do you currently use? I currently use around 30GB, so it would be bountiful for me. But YMMV.

cosus
2008-06-11, 16:39
Well, I guess I have less than 8 gigs of music and I'd like to put movies on my external HD. I really never understood why so much space is taken. I only take picture on my iphone anyways.

More importantly, even if money was not the issue, is the difference really at all worth it?

apple007
2008-06-11, 16:48
I know that, but I forgot to make mention to the other thread which gave me the idea. CA does have lemon laws.

Lemon laws typically require replacements, not upgrades.

The only times I've heard of Apple allowing a pay-the-difference-to-upgrade type of thing have been after the next-gen version of the *same* device has been announced. I doubt trying to swap an MB for an MBA will fly, and even suggesting it would probably hurt your chances of replacing MB #1 with MB #2. YMMV.