PDA

View Full Version : MacBook vs MacBook Pro vs iMac 20"

Stone Of Love
2008-06-11, 10:24
Ok, the G5 iMac is toast. Not putting any money into it just to watch it crap out again.

So, my wife and daughter are currently sharing a G3 300 blue and white tower! :D (can't kill this one!)

She thinks she wants to get up to speed on Final cut, but has space limitations for where she would like her work station to be. (she is an Avid editor)

Specs for Final Cut say 4gigs ram will be enough, any of the above choices can handle that. But we all know real world is most often different than the "factory spec" world.

Pretty sure the iMac is out due to space, but we may have to make room just because we can get a better price on it. Mac Pro tower isn't happening due to size and cost, period.

Anybody editing with a MacBook? Anybody start with a MacBook and move up to a MacBook Pro because they felt the MacBook wasn't getting the job done??

I don't think she will be doing real high end stuff, mostly corporate work. Possibly some things for her church. Hopefully it will lead to more down the road.

thanks for all input.

bassplayinMacFiend
2008-06-11, 13:13
There are parts of Final Cut Studio (Motion comes to mind) that require a good GPU.

From the System Requirements (http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs) page:

An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)

Basically this requirement eliminates the MacBook as a viable option.

Stone Of Love
2008-06-11, 14:34
thanks, missed that one while reading that page earlier.

RowdyScot
2008-06-11, 15:39
I'd suggest the iMac before the MBP based on cost, but if you need to save space, the MBPs are wonderful. Posting on a 17" now, and I *love* this machine for work in Logic Studio on the go.

Stone Of Love
2008-06-11, 15:54
I think the 17" is too big, and to much $$ for us right now. iMac is the best deal cash wise for sure, but the 20" is pushing it for the space she wants to use it in. If they still made the 17" I'm sure we could make that work. Gotta say, at this point its "make room for the iMac, or get the 15" MacBook Pro.

2008-06-11, 16:09
Between those two I'd go for the iMac. I think she'd find using FCP on the 15" 1440x900 px screen pretty constraining anyways. I'd go for 2.66Ghz model though. It has a much better graphics card than the low-end 20" iMac and adds another GB of RAM. Plus, she'll get a bit more screen real estate (1680x1050) and a larger and faster (7200rpm) HD than the MBPro.

She's going to complain about FCP anyways (being an Avid editor :p), but the iMac would give her less to complain about. ;)

psmith2.0
2008-06-11, 16:11
I agree with what 709 said. iMac...just a lot more bang for the buck, it seems.

Stone Of Love
2008-06-11, 17:47
That's what I was thinking, but she keeps talking about not having enough space. I do know a few guys who edit on a 15" MBP, I'll have to ask how they feel about it.....

And, I just picked up the dead iMac. going to make her put it in the new space for a few days to get a feel for what it might be like.

Biggest problem I'm having right now, is now I've got new laptop fever!! :lol:

PB PM
2008-06-12, 01:22
In any case, if she need more screen space you can always buy a good LCD and hook it up to a MBP.

onlyafterdark
2008-06-12, 01:35
In any case, if she need more screen space you can always buy a good LCD and hook it up to a MBP.

I would recommend doing this. The iMacs, while great computers, are becoming more and more just laptops in a desktop body. If screen space is an issue, get a good monitor and hook it up to a 15" MBP.

bassplayinMacFiend
2008-06-12, 07:35

I was going to suggest this too, but it sounds like space is a serious issue if fitting a 20" iMac would take real effort.

I too have new laptop fever as Apple is offering some pretty tricked out 15" MBPs on their refurb page for $1650. The missus has really become attached to my MacBook and I don't have a 64bit Intel computer...

But, if you decide to go MBP + external monitor you don't have to worry about being forced into glossy screens.

Stone Of Love
2008-06-12, 09:23
Thanks for the input kids.

When she decides, I'll let you know!