PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat 7 Released (with Safari plug in!)

MCQ
2004-12-21, 22:20
Acrobat 7's been released. Reader link is below:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

The reader now has a plug in for Safari, though it doesn't seem to work in Firefox.

The readme says:

Mac OS X v.10.3.x and Safari 1.2.2 are required to use Adobe Reader in a browser window.

Though I don't know what would prevent it from working. I tried a couple things, but nothing seemed to work for Firefox.

On first usage, startup time is very quick, and the plugin seems solid (though this is on a Dual 1 GHz MDD). Will have to see how my 1 GHz PB works.

Edit: One note - the download, will end up yielding an "Adobe Reader 7.0.app". This is the installer app, not the actual app.

johnq
2004-12-21, 22:58
WTF is up with this install process. Yuck. I feel violated.

MCQ
2004-12-21, 23:03
Yeah. -1 to Adobe for that, and why I added in the comment about it.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-12-21, 23:05
I've been looking at the Adobe site all day and only a few hours ago it said 7 (pro) was still only available for pre-order. Nice catch.

But I don't understand: has Acrobat 7 Pro been available as part of CS for a while already, and is only now being released as a standalone app?

johnq
2004-12-21, 23:07
Btw, thanks for the heads up, I hadn't seen this software mentioned elsewhere yet.

-1 for not being able to drag and drop into Safari, nor can I see how to open a local PDF via the Open dialog. Online only? Or did I miss something.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-12-22, 19:06
Btw, thanks for the heads up, I hadn't seen this software mentioned elsewhere yet.

-1 for not being able to drag and drop into Safari, nor can I see how to open a local PDF via the Open dialog. Online only? Or did I miss something.

Have you tried just double-clicking a .pdf file? Also try right-clicking (CTRL+click) the .pdf file and choosing Acrobat from the Open With-> menu?

johnq
2004-12-22, 19:47
That of course opens the full Adobe Acrobat Reader application. But I don't want that.

Ok, update: The "random" PDF I was using (seemed like a good test, simply Adobe's own Legal/US English file) actually didn't have the .pdf extension. :rolleyes:

So now:
Drag a .pdf file (with extension!) into a Safari window and it opens in Safari via plug-in. Great. :)

But:
Drag a .pdf file onto Safari's icon and it does nothing. Doesn't even pipe the file to the full application.

But I just noticed neither does .swf or .mov etc so I guess that's a Safari gripe after all.

I guess the only thing to complain about Adobe is that they don't always use .pdf extensions for their own PDFs :D I assume lack of extension just gets us to the old meta data/mac OS X arguments.

Ok all is well. I just like dragging files into browser windows, that's all. Just the way I work.

Brad
2004-12-23, 14:17
But:
Drag a .pdf file onto Safari's icon and it does nothing. Doesn't even pipe the file to the full application.

But I just noticed neither does .swf or .mov etc so I guess that's a Safari gripe after all.Hold the apple and option key next time. :)

Barto
2004-12-24, 02:27
Awesome tip Brad

Brad
2004-12-24, 03:51
I swear... I have no idea where all these great nuggets of info come from up there in my brain! :lol:

johnq
2004-12-24, 06:54
Ahh the old "force any app to open this file" trick...nice, I'd forgotten about that. :)