PDA

View Full Version : Some iPhone Questions...

digitaldave
2008-06-16, 06:51
I'm thinking about getting a 3G iPhone when they are released, and I've got a couple of questions that I hope current iPhone users can help with :).

1) Does it have a daily alarm? My current phone (Sony Ericson K800i) has one where I can set an alarm to go off on specific days, so I have it set to only go off on weekdays - can the iPhone do this?

2) What's the camera like? Is it fixed or auto focus? How quick is it to take pics? My K800i has a 3mp camera, and it's pretty good, but so was the 2mp one on my old K750i. I had a quick look on Flickr for iPhone pics, but it wasn't easy to get a good idea of what the quality is like. I'm not worried about getting DSLR like quality images, as I have a DSLR for that ;).

3) Does it work OK with Gmail IMAP?

4) Does it come with a couple of ring tones out of the box? I don't want to have to pay for new ring tones if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Dave.

jdcfsu
2008-06-16, 07:05
1) Does it have a daily alarm? My current phone (Sony Ericson K800i) has one where I can set an alarm to go off on specific days, so I have it set to only go off on weekdays - can the iPhone do this?

Yeah. You can actually create a seemingly endless number of alarms. I have one set for Tuesdays and Thursdays and then another for Fridays and Sundays and then another that I turn on for random days.

2) What's the camera like? Is it fixed or auto focus? How quick is it to take pics? My K800i has a 3mp camera, and it's pretty good, but so was the 2mp one on my old K750i. I had a quick look on Flickr for iPhone pics, but it wasn't easy to get a good idea of what the quality is like. I'm not worried about getting DSLR like quality images, as I have a DSLR for that ;).

The camera is decent. In the software that ships with the phone you can only point and shoot (no zoom, focus, etc. There have been some apps for unlocked iPhones that add additional features so I'm sure the App Store will have similar things. As for quality it's pretty solid for a cell phone IMO. It isn't exactly "quick" though. Here's an example of a picture I took at a baseball game on Memorial Day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdcfsu/2583966282/. You can see that the jumbotron screen show's artifacts from that the camera picked up. I noticed the same thing the other day when I took a picture out the window of a prop airplane -- I got about six or seven phantom propellers flying through the image.

I've not used Gmail with mail.app on the phone, only Gmail's web interface.

4) Does it come with a couple of ring tones out of the box? I don't want to have to pay for new ring tones if I can avoid it.

Yeah, there's about 10 or 15 but they are all your typical default cell phone ringtones. Luckily if you don't want to pay for ringtones and you have iLife you can easily create your own and put them on your phone for free using Garage Band: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1358?viewlocale=en_US

Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase decision and inevitable waiting in line -- but it'll be worth it. :D

jcoley2
2008-06-16, 07:10

I have the current iPhone working with two Gmail accounts set up in IMAP. No big problems.

Yontsey
2008-06-16, 07:13

My buddy who has one of the first ones said he got a program that he uses via jailbreak and he can take video with his camera. Said it also gives him more options for the camera too.

adamb
2008-06-16, 09:07
1) The alarm is brilliant. As stated before you can have a seemingly endless number of alarms and set it to go off on certain days.

2) The camera in my opinion is pretty poor compared to my K800i, especially in low light. Its pretty useless in pubs / clubs and a few snaps I took at a friends birthday were terrible. A flash would be really handy for the way I, and Im guessing quite a lot of people use their phone for taking pics

Yonzie
2008-06-16, 16:21
2) What's the camera like? Crap. Well, I guess it's better than the one in my W900i, but still crappish. When image sized is reduced to 800x600 in photoshop (or whatever) they are pretty decent though.
4) Does it come with a couple of ring tones out of the box? I don't want to have to pay for new ring tones if I can avoid it. 1 "real" phone tone, a few "normal" cell phone tones, and a whole bunch of weird ones.
BUT! You can make your own in Garageband from any MP3 (or whatever) you want. It's really easy and works with iTunes so no need to hack the iPhone. (AFAIK, but mine is of course hacked)

Yontsey
2008-06-16, 16:24
How is the speaker phone on the iPhone?

Can you send and receive picture text messages?

apple007
2008-06-16, 16:33
Can you send and receive picture text messages?

Come on, you're a veteran here. Stop trolling. :D

Yontsey
2008-06-16, 16:35
Come on, you're a veteran here. Stop trolling. :D

haha, I was being serious. I asked it in another thread and it never got answered.

I take that as a no?

Yonzie
2008-06-16, 17:00
How is the speaker phone on the iPhone? I <3 the Speaker Phone. I don't have anything to compare it to though. For the size and such, it's fucking brilliant.

Picture text messages = MMS = Use Email darnit (it's standards compliant so apple likes)

Yontsey
2008-06-16, 17:04
Picture text messages = MMS = Use Email darnit (it's standards compliant so apple likes)

Ah, so I assume it's like my sidekick where you have to view the pictures from a website? That's kind of annoying. That was the one thing I hated.

veryamusing
2008-06-16, 21:29

It works swimmingly with my two Gmail IMAP accounts and one POP account.

jdcfsu
2008-06-16, 21:59
Ah, so I assume it's like my sidekick where you have to view the pictures from a website? That's kind of annoying. That was the one thing I hated.

Yeah, you have to do that and it does suck a little bit.