PDA

View Full Version : 10.5

adam_tj
2004-12-23, 19:30
What features would people like to see in 10.5-is there anything we don't already have?

Moogs
2004-12-23, 20:30
Bit premature, considering we don't even know all the features and improvements coming with 10.4, which is likely 6 months away... 10.5 could very easily be two years away or more. ;)

Zodiac
2004-12-23, 21:10
You put goggles on and it takes you to a virtual world of the macintosh. It makes every app ever like some kind of building/room. But the internet will be coolest of all. On Applenova. We could lliterally see eachother as if we are in the same room!

It works with a G3 or up. :smokey:

Wickers
2004-12-23, 21:49
From what I understand, Apple will be taking a breather for the next release... it may be a long way off, but I'm sure we will see some nifty stuff.

psmith2.0
2004-12-23, 22:00
Yeah, didn't they say Tiger was going to be the last regularly timed OS X release, so 10.5 (and beyond) might truly be years away.

But we've got a pretty amazing OS right now, and Tiger will only build on that (I'm anxious to see that three-way iChat in action).

This time next year, when Tiger has been out on the street and we're all used to it and know all the new stuff, the Mac OS is going to be so ridiculously far ahead of Windows and others it won't even be fair!

:eek: :)

And if, at that point, Apple still doesn't see fit to tout OS X a bit more than they have, then fuck 'em. They deserve their paltry 2-4% sliver of the pie. In true Apple fashion, they'll probably pin all their hopes (and marketing muscle) on the upcoming Maroon 5 and Destiny's Child special edition iPods.

:|

"We make jaw-dropping hardware, and an amazing OS...but we prefer not to talk about them. Not good form."

:p

Wickers
2004-12-23, 22:18
I know what you mean,

I can't stand how Apple has taken the spotlight off their great computers and made the iPod almost half the company's point of interest.

psmith2.0
2004-12-23, 22:19
"...almost half..."? :D

There's an understatement! Try "almost all". ;)

ast3r3x
2004-12-23, 22:41
I'm going to miss the yearly excitement and seeing all the new features being displayed/discussed. I'll miss downloading the dev version to see the new features and getting frustrated with lack of functionality possible.

DMBand0026
2004-12-23, 23:02
"...almost half..."? :D

There's an understatement! Try "almost all". ;)

Drop that ;) and you'll be exactly right. They have made the iPod almost all their focus. Now people know Apple exists, but they don't know that they still make computers.

Wickers
2004-12-23, 23:15
Well, with all the crap Windows users now have to put up with, spyware, I think Apple would have a strong reason to start pushing their computers again.

psmith2.0
2004-12-23, 23:35
Yep. We've had how many iPod/silhouette commercials the past year or so? 750? 900?

:p

But I've never seen an eMac commercial, Apple's most accessible, affordable computer. Haven't seen an iBook ad since the tangerine and blueberry ones featuring Barry White. Pretty sure I never saw one for the aluminum PowerBooks. Had one lame one for the iMac G4 and the G5. And, hardest of all to believe, still not one for the iMac G5.

:eek:

And I don't think we'll ever see an OS X or iLife spot. I've long given up on that, even though I think iLife is a tragically neglected secret weapon, just waiting to be used. But it never is.

Amazing, when you think about. If Apple had been trumpeting all (or hell...ANY) of the above these past several years, with any sort of drive and effort, and things were STILL at 2-4%...then I'd humbly shut up and concede that maybe "it isn't about the marketing after all."

But that hasn't been the case. So I won't.

:devil: :p

I'd like to see Apple humor me in 2005, and push, tout and advertise the living shit out of their wares (stuff other than the iPod). Just once. For one year. Then we all meet back here this time next year and see what came of it, and where things stand.

I bet we'd all be pretty pleased with what we saw.

sCreeD
2004-12-23, 23:36
Yes, Apple has been pimping iPods fervently. But It's Working (http://macminute.com/2004/12/23/halo-effect/).

There is a plan. Believe it. BelIEEEEEVE IT! :lol:

What the next step is, I have no idea...

Screed

psmith2.0
2004-12-23, 23:43
Yeah, it's working. Great. A halo effect. Cool. I know that. We all do. We've seen Messiah and others cite that article about 20 times. So?

Is it written down somewhere that's ALL they can do? That's ALL they're allowed to hype? Sure seems that way.

No matter how cool they are, they ARE NOT going to carry/float the entire damn company. And certainly not forever. And it's foolish and shortsighted to think so.

Well, that's kinda what we're talking about here. Surely there IS a "next step" (see paragraps two and three above). ;)

MCQ
2004-12-23, 23:51
Yeah, better OS X or iLife advertising (or, more specifically, ANY advertising) would help. I still say that if they find a way to make it onto QVC and have a Today's Special Value, and have a OS X/iLife evangelist there do several spots during the day going over everything, they'd sell a boatload.

Wickers
2004-12-23, 23:57
Well on a down-note... I sure hope Apple starts putting a shit load of time and effort into improving the quality of their systems BEFORE they start pushing their computers again. I'm not talking about the design of the units but the quality of the build out of the factory.

You have no idea how many Apple computers we get in for service at my work that are only a few days old. At one point, every Mac that one of the sales reps at our retail store sold in a week were in for service within a week of picking them up. Some were DOA, but most were minor problems. . . (But still should have been corrected before the box was opened)

Not to bitch, it's just that I have had to deal with quite a few irate people with new and screwed units.

Well to be honest, it's not as bad as I make it sound. . . it's just that Apple only lets it's resellers return so many computers each year as DOA or defects upon purchase. We past that number about two weeks ago and since then I have had to handle about 7 very unhappy clients who don't understand why we can't just replace the unit and have to service it under warranty.

Sigh... anyway.

scratt
2004-12-24, 00:21
A working Finder.

ThunderPoit
2004-12-24, 00:23

ill bet a million that step 3 is profit!!! ;)

DMBand0026
2004-12-24, 00:26
<crosses fingers>

However, it won't happen. Apple has a habit of butt raping the finder over and over as they improve other aspects of the OS. Granted, the rest of the OS is fantastic, the Finder sucks.

However, it could be worse. I could turn on my computer and see this:

http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/w/winxp.jpg

:)

scratt
2004-12-24, 00:48
<crosses fingers>

However, it won't happen. Apple has a habit of butt raping the finder over and over as they improve other aspects of the OS. Granted, the rest of the OS is fantastic, the Finder sucks.

However, it could be worse. I could turn on my computer and see this:

http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/w/winxp.jpg

http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~thickets/scream.jpg

sCreeD
2004-12-24, 04:16
Oh I'm on the side of those who want to see a thirty second spot of OS X in fullscreen glory, but I've just plain given up on that dream. In fact, does Microsoft advertise their software by showing it? No, not one bit, just the worn, tired bits about kids dreaming. :no:

Don't dismiss the halo effect entirely. The iPod is something tangible that essentially forces its buyers to use iTunes and that is Apple's hook. It forces non-Mac customer to encounter the "It Just Works" principle. A man at the office bought his wife an iPod mini. He was genuinely surprised that its setup was hassle-free.

This is why the retail stores are important, because they are the only real way for people to understand what OS X is about firsthand. Due to the constraints of advertising, the OS, regardless of the features, just really can't be pushed to audiences, which is sad because it's why we choose the platform in the first place.

Screed

scratt
2004-12-24, 04:36
Don't dismiss the halo effect entirely. The iPod is something tangible that essentially forces its buyers to use iTunes and that is Apple's hook. It forces non-Mac customer to encounter the "It Just Works" principle. A man at the office bought his wife an iPod mini. He was genuinely surprised that its setup was hassle-free.

iPod Users Switch to Mac OS X

For the Wall Street Journal, Tim Hanrahan and Jason Fry write, “In Monday’s column, we predicted that the combination of the iPod’s popularity and the increasing worry over viruses, security holes and spyware in Windows PCs will lead to the second coming of Apple Computer as a home-computing power. To say that struck a chord would be putting it mildly. Boy, did we ever get mail — including a significant number of people who said that the iPod, Windows security concerns or a combination of the two had made them switch to a Mac or plan to do so.” [Paid WSJ subscription required.

This is just some text to make my post long enough!!?!? :err:

insaneboy
2004-12-24, 16:15
Yeah, didn't they say Tiger was going to be the last regularly timed OS X release, so 10.5 (and beyond) might truly be years away.

Not something I want to hear since we recently bought a software mantinance agreement for one of our servers, if we only get an upgrade for 10.4 it won't be worth it in the least. *grrrr*

julesstoop
2004-12-24, 17:24
10.5 will have a truly scalable (resolution independent) interface. The API will allready be there in 10.4, but 10.5 will offer support - out of the box - for a user selectable interface scale.

Xaqtly
2004-12-24, 19:49
I agree that Apple needs to advertise OS X and iLife. Everybody I know that's tried the iLife apps has been blown away by how much flat-out better it is than anything you can get on Windows - anything that comes bundled with Windows machines anyway. A lot of people I've talked to say iLife is better than anything you can get for Windows, period. Why wouldn't Apple want to advertise something like that? It drives me crazy.

Yes, halo effect, blah blah blah. It's not enough. MS doesn't advertise Windows any more because they obviously don't have to, but Apple is missing the boat by hoping people will just discover OS X for themselves. The obvious virus/spyware issues alone would sway thousands of people to OS X - if they only knew about it. I'm completely in the dark about Apple's reasoning behind not advertising OS X and its benefits, I just can't understand why they wouldn't want to advertise it. Or even just iLife.

edit - sorry for going so far off topic. For 10.5 I'd like to see some sort of clean DirectX translation built into the OS so porting PC games to the Mac would be easy and they would run better. Yeah I know, it won't happen.

Zodiac
2004-12-24, 21:45
Wait. 10.5 Will have a Direct X port so we can play PC games too. [/dreamer]

Wickers
2004-12-25, 01:18
Wait. 10.5 Will have a Direct X port so we can play PC games too. [/dreamer]

You DON'T want DirectX... bad zodiac! Bad!

(you have no idea...)

defaultmike
2004-12-25, 02:36
On topic:
I'd like to see native support for Linux Apps, it was rumored for Tiger, but it wont happen. I don't particularlly care about Linux, but this would open the door for a lot of apps, and might bring some of that crowd into using a truly stable and user friendly OS

I don't really want any"3d interfaces" or anything similar, I'm quite happy with the way OSX works and looks.

Off topic:
as for advertising OSX... don't blame apple, blame their ad agency. Honestly, I'm an art director at an ad agency, so I know how these things work, and if the people from the agency don't realize that they could create a kickass ad for a product which could increase apple's market share (and equal more money for the agency) then apple should switch to another ad agency!

psmith2.0
2004-12-25, 09:39
:confused:

Doesn't that initially have to come from Apple, though? Ad agencies (and hell, folks HERE) could create all the stuff in the world, but if Apple themselves aren't on board, or see any good reason...so what?

Maybe it's a shared, mutual thing between Apple and their ad agency, fine. But IF Apple wanted this done, it would be done.

That's what bugs me. It's almost like Apple doesn't even want to. They're just content to be "all iPod, all the time"...and hope that folks figure out the rest all on their own.

:(

Just doesn't strike me as a sure-fire, aggressive-enough way to go about increasing your presence. Certainly doesn't do the hardware, OS and various apps justice.

Steve always devotes the last minute or so to his keynotes to thank the employees and their families for the long hours and hard work. I'm betting more than a few of these employees feel like "yeah, you're right, Steve...we DO put in long hours and hard work, and it would be nice if you assbags up top would make it all seem a little more worth it by actually promoting it some!"

scratt
2004-12-25, 12:08
Just been reading THE CULT OF MAC!
I think we should get onto Kawasaki!!!
btw - Where's your bit pscates?

psmith2.0
2004-12-26, 01:22
I'm not sure...check the index. A few pages containing comments from me the author got via phone interview a couple of years ago, and two pages of some mockups.

stoo
2004-12-26, 09:27
Oh I'm on the side of those who want to see a thirty second spot of OS X in fullscreen glory, but I've just plain given up on that dream.

A few seconds showcasing Exposé would be great (especially before someone steals it...).

With DirectX you could get XBox ports too (joke :p).

Xaqtly
2004-12-26, 14:54
Off topic:
as for advertising OSX... don't blame apple, blame their ad agency. Honestly, I'm an art director at an ad agency, so I know how these things work, and if the people from the agency don't realize that they could create a kickass ad for a product which could increase apple's market share (and equal more money for the agency) then apple should switch to another ad agency!

But in the end, the ad agency is hired to do exactly what Apple tells them to do. I can't bring myself to believe that nobody at Apple's ad agency has ever thought of marketing OS X. I think it's much more likely that they already brought it up with The Steve, and it was rejected. I've worked for an ad agency too (print and trailers for movies), and the agency has little to no say in what the final product is. I've seen some of the best posters for movies, and they were all rejected by the studios in favor of more generic, dumber looking posters, and those are the ones that make it to market.

Same thing with Apple's advertising. Ad agencies are usually filled with really creative types, I would love to see some of the ideas for Apple's ads that got rejected. I'll bet they even mocked up some OS X ads. I mean if you worked for Apple's ad agency... wouldn't you?

admactanium
2004-12-27, 02:46
i'm also an ad guy. an art director/creative director and some of my friends have worked on the apple account. let's just say that apple/jobs have a very tight grip on what does and does not get produced for their advertising. i doubt many of the creatives have gone off and done their own spec work for os x. they have enough going on of their own "real" assignments to spend time on something which would likely end in jobs being pissed.

apple is not the easiest client to deal with. one of my best friends wrote the "think different" line, so i'll take his word for it.